I Was Just Robbed

I work as a night auditor in a hotel and I was just robbed about 45 minutes ago. I am okay, just a little shaken up. I commend the police in my city for their promptness and professionalism, but my management is worthless. I have been unable to get anyone to answer their phone, so I am now sitting alone behind the counter for another six hours, unable to provide a security camera file to the police because no one in management will answer their phone. I've never had to look down the barrel of a sawed off shotgun before. Its a rather disconcerting event. I was calm while it was happening, but I'm a little freaked out now. But, the good thing is that I'm okay. But, WOW.

I don't really have anyone else to talk to right now at 1:30 AM. So, I thought I would share here. Thanks.

2:15 and still no word from management or corporate offices. This is frustrating. I'm not very happy with this company right now.

I've never had a shotgun pointed at me before. I've never experienced anything like this before. Its strange. I was fine while it was happening, but I am freaking out now. Well, not freaking, but it's really hitting me. And, I have no one to talk to in the middle of the night. I'm here alone now with just my computer. I'm writing emails and I've written in my journal. I suppose I'll journal a little more.

That's not good, Free Thinker, I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. At least they didn't hurt you, or attack you because of your orientation.

If I lived closer, I'd bring you a coffee and cake, and keep you company. Rest assured that the shock does dissipate.

Your company should definitely have some sort of system for priority contact persons in emergency situations.

I shall immediately notify President Obama to sort them out.

Here's a big hug for you... :hug:

Ah, what the hell, have another hug... :hug:

Thanks! I could use a hug right now. I want my Daddy! Oh, well. It could have been worse and I'm grateful it wasn't. I'm not really impressed with my employers right now.

I've been up writing, and finally got enough down to stop. I write bits here and there, in bursts. I'm about to go to bed and try to sleep. That may or may not work, it's always a toss-up.

Many, many moons ago, both before I was born and when I was a little Blue, my grandmother worked in a grocery store courtesy booth. In all, I think she was robbed three or four times. She was tougher than she looked. It was not her favorite thing ever.

I would not expect anyone from management or corporate would be awake or answer their phone at night, despite that there should be several who would, in case of emergency. Possibly around 9 or 10 am their time, they will deign to be available. Or rather, their overworked, underpaid, harried secretaries will be available to fend off calls.

Now, I would like to believe that someone or other in a responsible position is sane and sensible (and not busy chasing the harried secretary) but you can probably detect the rather large and possibly quite erroneous assumption in that logic.

Therefore, if reasonable pursuit of satisfaction through normal channels does not result in the desired results, i.e., the provision of the security tapes to the police, then I would suggest pursuing less sane and reasonable approaches. One effective method I can think of is to point out that perhaps the robbers stole a large amount of money. Or perhaps they stole a few of the more attractive female staff? Bellboys? (Does anyone actually hire bellboys anymore?) Or get really creative. Claim the hotel restaurant's freezer went bad and there are now several hundred pounds of food floating in the hotel pool, which is making it very hard for the tourists to paddle around in bathing suits that are at least two sizes too small. (And don't mention I stole that one from Dr. Seuss' the Grinch.) Or if you feel like being really wild, claim a giant spaceship has landed and the aliens have demanded to see your fearless leaders for, ah, the standard greeting ceremonies, involving the probing of various orifices. Exactly why advanced intergalactic aliens would be so keen on probing orifices, I never have quite understood. My impression has been it's probably really a bunch of very randy alien teenagers who've stolen the family hovermobile for a joy ride, and they're looking for cheap dates.

Right, not helping, but maybe it'll give you a good laugh while you're making sure their voicemail is filled with ever more urgent messages every hour or two. Escalate from mildly dire to impending global doom. Points for style!

That sucks big-time. They sound like the kind of management that might try to blame you for the theft of money or whatever was stolen.

Colin :icon_geek:

[...]

Exactly why advanced intergalactic aliens would be so keen on probing orifices, I never have quite understood. My impression has been it's probably really a bunch of very randy alien teenagers who've stolen the family hovermobile for a joy ride, and they're looking for cheap dates.

Right, not helping, but maybe it'll give you a good laugh while you're making sure their voicemail is filled with ever more urgent messages every hour or two. Escalate from mildly dire to impending global doom. Points for style!

I agree, Blue, I can only think that the aliens who travel what must be a considerable number of light years, or through a complex time/space warp of unfathomable technology, merely to probe our orifices, must be more obsessed with our bodies than the rightwing fundamentalists. Now there's a thought, what if the fundies are all aliens? That would explain quite a lot actually.

FreeThinker, I hope we are cheering you up a little. More hugs. :hug:

LOL!

Speaking of the fundies, I have a scene in the story I'm writing about a famous ballet dancer flying home to Oklahoma. The lady beside him on the plane has been irritating him for the whole flight and at one point asks him why he's flying to Oklahoma. He replies dryly, "I'm on a mission for the Soviet Motherland to subvert American freedom by turning all the evangelists in Oklahoma into drooling homosexual Communists." :evilgrin:

Thank goodness for Awesome Dude Radio! I've been listening to it all night and it has helped my mood enormously!!!!!!! Its' AWESOME!

Jesus! Glad you made it intact, FT! Don't let the bastids get you down.

I've never been robbed, but I was once at a potential robbery scene: a fast-food restaurant at 2AM in Hollywood, and suddenly, two guys with shotguns walked towards our car as we were in a drive-through lane. They yelled at us to keep our hands on the dashboard, while pointing their guns towards some customers at the window. After five minutes of unrelenting terror, the guys with the guns finally identified themselves as the police (!!!), and said it had all been a false alarm. Very frightening.

I fully understand, FreeThinker, how the event can seem to flash by in an instant, and then the aftermath is steadily worse. I am grateful that there is an aftermath for you where you are whole and intact and still able, finally, to smile a little. I sincerely hope that, since posting, you have been able to debrief, face-to-face, with someone receptive and understanding.

James

Our manager finally showed up at 6AM Okla. time and we discussed a few things. I made some "suggestions" about security and each of my ideas is going to be implemented. I'm home now and I feel better. Posting on AD was all I had for four hours since it was overnight here. I'm glad there was someone here! Thank you! And I strongly urge you to listen to Awesome Dude Radio when you're freaking out. It's a nice way to calm down and relax! :cat:

What an awful thing to have to go through. I'm glad you're all right. Don't be too proud to talk to a professional if you feel it's necessary. The consequences of this kind of thing can often sneak up on people day or weeks later.

I'm glad to hear your manager at least listened to your thoughts and suggestions.