Seasons for the Boy by Chris James

Lugnutz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading this again, after a long enough gap that it becomes a new experience. Each chapter is so well wrought it is hard not to be impatient with the pace of the posting, for I remember enough of the old version that know I want to get further faster. But I can be content with plodding along if Chris keeps coming up with wonderful lines like 'Is love stronger than everything else in the mind, does it have substance in our lives? Evaluate the effects of love for the answer. The mind controls breathing, but true love takes the breath away. The mind controls the heart, but the heart aches when love is absent.'

Wonderful stuff.

James

• 3 weeks later...

I will have to admit I am suprised at the reader's reactions to this story which I had once considered just some old thing from my attic. That is to say I am gratified over the positive reactions, and for good reason.

It originally appeared on Nifty about eight years ago when I was just about at the breaking point with that site. There was entirely too much sexual description in a story that played tug of war with my conscience over such matters. Having removed most of that I am now getting mail from this posting that tells me I did the right thing.

Even from the Nifty posting I received commentary about the emotional values wrought by the characters and little about the sexual escapades. Those comments are even stronger now, and some of you have expressed those same feelings. This type of validation makes my day, even if some of the readers are impatient for the next chapter.

I see that as a good thing because this story pointed me in a new direction. Writing a romance story involving young characters evolved into embracing the whole as a family of people getting on with life. The concept of gay family has always been an important theme to me. Perhaps by the time you have read the final chapter you will understand. This was not meant to be just another story about spoiled rich kids but about the basic human values we all must share to be gay and proud of it.

I read that ages ago, you expect me to remember that at my age? Yes, you're my age or better. It's in my nature to forget things.

It's a great story with a lot of stories going on. I'm also a glutton for punishment so I read them as they are posted instead of waiting for it to be complete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, in a further attempt to use my time reading instead of writing...

Oh, wait. That'll give the wrong impression here. Scratch that.

I've just started reading Chris's Season for the Boy, now that it's finished at long last. I'm a chapter and a half into it. Very good. Promises to be a great read. Probably should have gotten more notice here. Now, as they used to say on the radio programs, back to the story.

C

• 9 years later...

I am so glad to see this novel in "Dude's Picks from the Past". It is a typical piece of Chris James writing, that is to say a great story well told. For me it has some sentimental value, as it was the first piece of Chris' writing that I communicated with him about. A communication, which resulted in a email friendship that I have missed since his death. It was, therefore, with some emotion that I reread this story over the weekend. I found it as enjoyable and as delightful as ever.

If you have not read this story, I strongly recommend that you do.