Yet Another Story Search

Rutabaga

Once again I'm wracking my brain trying to remember where I saw a story.  I'm pretty sure it was at AD.

I thought it was by Gee Whillickers, or maybe Merkin, but no joy either place.  I've checked a few others but still no luck.

It might have been called "The Wall" or "The Gate" or something having to do with midnight.  (How's that for vague?)

The story involves a mid-teen boy whose back yard adjoins the back yard of the house on the next street over, where another mid-teen boy lives.  The two boys were pals until two or three years ago, when the protagonist stopped hanging around with him any more, and I believe had stopped talking to him altogether.  I think the protagonist may also have gone goth or something similar at school.  These two boys had previously had a ritual where they met in the gate opening between the yards at midnight on a particular day (a birthday?).  In the story, the protagonist is building up the courage to go to the gate again at midnight, where once it strikes 12:00 he will deem himself able to talk again.  Or something like that.

I have probably garbled the story line, but does that suggest anything to anyone out there?

R

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, Rutabaga said:

Once again I'm wracking my brain trying to remember where I saw a story.  I'm pretty sure it was at AD.

I thought it was by Gee Whillickers, or maybe Merkin, but no joy either place.  I've checked a few others but still no luck.

It might have been called "The Wall" or "The Gate" or something having to do with midnight.  (How's that for vague?)

The story involves a mid-teen boy whose back yard adjoins the back yard of the house on the next street over, where another mid-teen boy lives.  The two boys were pals until two or three years ago, when the protagonist stopped hanging around with him any more, and I believe had stopped talking to him altogether.  I think the protagonist may also have gone goth or something similar at school.  These two boys had previously had a ritual where they met in the gate opening between the yards at midnight on a particular day (a birthday?).  In the story, the protagonist is building up the courage to go to the gate again at midnight, where once it strikes 12:00 he will deem himself able to talk again.  Or something like that.

I have probably garbled the story line, but does that suggest anything to anyone out there?

R

I too remember that story, and really enjoyed it a few years ago. I'm honored that you thought it was one of mine.