Soldiers’ sex lives show the Second World War in a very different light

Camy

I don't understand how the Brits can look at WWI at all romantically, or thinking it was somehow a good war.  Everything I've read about it was simply awful, good, courageous men being slaughtered for no earthly reason.  Perahps tht's not what was meant here. but it seemed like they were reported as looking at that war much differently than how they did at WW II

C

17 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

I don't understand how the Brits can look at WWI at all romantically, or thinking it was somehow a good war.  Everything I've read about it was simply awful, good, courageous men being slaughtered for no earthly reason.  Perahps tht's not what was meant here. but it seemed like they were reported as looking at that war much differently than how they did at WW II

C

I, for one, don't look at WWI romantically. If you want to know how most Brits look at it, watch "Oh What a Lovely War". It reflects what I think is the main British view of the war, that it was one great big fuck-up.

When I was knee high to a grasshopper my Dad had to go on a business trip to the U.S. and Canada, and Mum persuaded him to take us with him.
We  went Ottawa, to Stoney Lake (where Dad caught a Chipmunk but couldn't get permission to take it home), and to Expo '67 in Montreal - where a policeman let me hold his loaded gun. Then it was back to New York.

At the time I was desperate for one of these:

...but you couldn't get one anywhere. Finally, after I wore her down with tantrums and pouting, my Mum found one at Schwarz - not on display, but kept hidden under the counter because of Vietnam.

Then: I was a bloodthirsty little git.

Now: with a few years under my belt I can't imagine anyone thinking of war as anything other than completely and utterly horrific.