Confucius again...

As a kid growing up in Pennsylvania I was surrounded by locales with names that would make any fifth-grader dissolve in laughter to the dismay of our teachers. Pennsylvania still has townships with names like Blue Ball, Bird-In-Hand, and Intercourse.  The latter was guaranteed to create havoc for at least ten minutes in any classroom.  We weren’t yet worldly enough to recognize the rich lode of foreign place names like Bangkok.

3 hours ago, Merkin said:

As a kid growing up in Pennsylvania I was surrounded by locales with names that would make any fifth-grader dissolve in laughter to the dismay of our teachers. Pennsylvania still has townships with names like Blue Ball, Bird-In-Hand, and Intercourse.  The latter was guaranteed to create havoc for at least ten minutes in any classroom.  We weren’t yet worldly enough to recognize the rich lode of foreign place names like Bangkok.

Ha! yes, England similarly has some doozies. Six Mile Bottom always made me giggle. Also Nempnett Thrubwell obscurely. Nether Wallop, Wetwang, Piddle Trenthide, Fingeringhoe, the place is awash with rudery.