'Cole Parker's Twenty Years of Stories'

I've just spent a very pleasant couple of hours going down the listicle (wretched internet speak) Cole has provided, as well as looking at his home page. Blimey, the man is a titan. I can honestly say there isn't a story of his I haven't enjoyed. And some that haven't left a dry eye in the house.

The first I remember reading, soon after I joined AD, was his novella, the affecting, 'When He Was Five.

'Dinner For One' I've read several times - and again, just before I posted this.

Cole provides a rabbit hole that it's easy to get lost down. The list he's posted is good, but it's only a smidgeon of what he's written, and it's all worth reading.

• Like 1

Thanks, Camy.  I feel the same about your writng.  Sorry you don't have the time to spend on it that I do.

Compliling that list was fun.  Those stories don't necessarily mean each is the best one in each of those years, but they all are good.

Funny, but I can tear up, too, reading some of them.  And I wrote them!  

C

I want to echo what Camy posted. I was going to make a similar post, only to discover that Camy beat me to it. I doubt that any of us could post such a list. There would be gaps in mine, when I was either too busy to write or involved in a longer-term writing project. The amazing thing is that there isn't a false note in any stories in the list. I'll never forget reading When He Was Five for the first time - on Nifty. It made me cry. It still does! Before that, there were Tim and Josh, Evolving, both of which were outstanding, even though they predate the list. Not every story has been a hit, but I can't think of any author with such a consistent record of accomplishment. There are so many stories that aren't on the list that are worthy contenders. The Holiday Collection included not only Independence Day, but also New Year's EveValentine's DayApril's FoolThanksgiving and Something Special – all of them exceptional in their own right. Who could ever forget A Valentine's StoryCottonwood Creek ParkGrandfather's Conspiracy, Great ScottNickels and DimesNoelOn the High Plains of WyomingRichie's OutingScurvy DogThe Farm BoyThey Came With Guns, and War and Peace - The Ben Hathaway Story. How about An Accidental RomanceDistorted PerspectivesFirst YearTerrytown TalesThe BusboyThe Prom, and The Sebastian Trilogy? That's only a partial list. Those are some of my favorites, but there are others too, all of which I've read many times. When I need to read something to lift my spirits, I always turn to a Cole Parker story. Bravo Cole!

• Like 2

Aw, come on!  I hate blushing.  Such kind words from such an accomlished writer.

All those stories you list are among my favorites, too.  Several of them are special. 

I'm older than when I started this adventure and the words don't flow as easily now.  No more 8 or 9 new stories a year any longer.  But I am trying to stay active.  I'm still editing, which I enjoy, and when a good idea comes I'll give it a try.

I just finished a new story that's now with editors.  Sort of a novella.  27 thousand some words. just over 120 pages.  As you can see, I'd rather look ahead that backwards.  That's all done with.  What's interesting is what's still to come.

Thanks so much, Altimexis.

C

It was very cool to see this list,   thanks for sharing  it,  Cole.  (And for Rutabaga's history  piece)

I was fascinated to see the dates on some of the stories. 

I think for the stories on Cole's list I could have put some of them in chronological order, but I'm sure I couldn't have come close to guessing it all.  This got me thinking  what the trends are over time are in Cole's work, because it was sophisticated from the beginning.   Sometimes  stories can be dated by stuff like whether there's land lines or people expect to be texting,  but it's often hard to tell. 

(I wouldn't have guessed how early  Duck Duck Goose  was, but it does have that "no smart phones/social media" tell of pre-2010 stories.   Kevin from  Duck Duck Goose has stuck in my memory like few other characters have. )

I want to take a flyer on a trend-over-time in Cole Parker  stories  and it's hard because the range between westerns and thrillers and character studies is huge.   

I think over time Cole's characters may be getting smarter.  I'm thinking of Jan Pedersen  from Courier,  and I'm thinking Right to Remain Silent  and Trial by Jury are recent-ish?  

I think, over time, Cole’s characters just use bigger words.

I was delighted to see that Cole chose so many of my favorites for his list.  Not that I don’t like them all—or most all.  Cole has been willing to try his hand at so many different genre and to set his stories in so many different locations that it’s hard to guess what you’re getting into when you pull up Chapter One.  For a long time I was suspicious of his ability to have at hand so much varied background material. I began to believe that “Cole Parker” was really a half dozen different writers, each with unique experience to draw upon.  Sorta like Franklin W. Dixon and The Hardy Boys. I’m still not entirely convinced he’s just one guy.
  Be that as it may, I could be perfectly content to just have copies of “When He Was Five” and “Duck Duck Goose” and “Eighth Grade” if and when I get marooned on a desert island.  Oh, wait, better add “Josh, Evolving” and of course “The Boy on the Plane” for sure, and, and, let me think…

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Merkin said:

I think, over time, Cole’s characters just use bigger words.

I was delighted to see that Cole chose so many of my favorites for his list.  Not that I don’t like them all—or most all.  Cole has been willing to try his hand at so many different genre and to set his stories in so many different locations that it’s hard to guess what you’re getting into when you pull up Chapter One.  For a long time I was suspicious of his ability to have at hand so much varied background material. I began to believe that “Cole Parker” was really a half dozen different writers, each with unique experience to draw upon.  Sorta like Franklin W. Dixon and The Hardy Boys. I’m still not entirely convinced he’s just one guy.
  Be that as it may, I could be perfectly content to just have copies of “When He Was Five” and “Duck Duck Goose” and “Eighth Grade” if and when I get marooned on a desert island.  Oh, wait, better add “Josh, Evolving” and of course “The Boy on the Plane” for sure, and, and, let me think…

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I didn't write anything till I retired.  At that point, I had nothing to do after years of work, responsibiltiy, angst and stress.  I knew I needed something to keep my brain functioning, and watching TV woudn't do it.  So I tried my hand at writing, with a little encrouagement from FreeThinker, an extraordinarily talented guy two stopped writing way too early.  I discovered I liked creating stories, and so began a career that's now almost 20 years old.

Yeah, it's a lot of stories, but it's kept my busy, and that's what one needs to do when retired.  Luckily, I found somelthing really, really fun, and it's a joy to look at all those stories and think, hey, I did that!

So, sorry, James, but it's been only me.  And I was able to do it because that's about all I do.  Write.  Most people lead much more exciting lives.  But I have no regrets, just pride that I've written what I have.

I think you, all of you, will enjoy the next one, if I ever get it back from my damn editors!

I always  have that problme.  Patient I'm not.  

C

• Like 1

This is a timely reminder of what a stalwart of the site Cole Parker has been, and what a tremendous talent he brings to the Awesomedude community. It's a great pleasure to re-read his stories. I've just given myself a treat and re-read When He Was Five. Delightful. Thank you Cole!