PayPal's large woopsie!

Camy

PayPal 'credits' US man $92 quadrillion in error

Online payments broker PayPal has admitted it erroneously credited a man with $92 quadrillion (£60 quadrillion).

Chris Reynolds, 56, of Pennsylvania, found the amount when he opened his monthly statement.

But the error was quickly recognised and his account had returned to zero by the time he had logged in.

"This was obviously an error and we appreciate that Mr Reynolds understands this was the case," PayPal said in a statement to the BBC.

The online money-transfer firm said it would offer to make a donation to a charity of Mr Reynolds' choice.

The $92,233,720,368,547,800 statement had been "quite a big surprise", Mr Reynolds told the Philadelphia Daily News, which first reported the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23352230

You have to laugh ... or cry?

Too bad he wasn't faster. I'd have bought a small latin american country, fled there and then changed the extradition laws before they could find me. You can buy entire countries through PayPal, right?

There's only one flaw in that plan, one fly in that ointment. If you'd buy that country, then you'd own it. Have to run it. Inherit it's snaggles.

Oh, I guess you could hire a Strongman to do that for you. You do have a list of them in your Rolodex, don't you? But how hard can they be to find? There's probably a Strongmen Are Us in every block.

But that's an interesting question: what would I do if I suddenly was in possession of a trillion dollars. I guess the noble thing would be to fund a childrens' hospital or twelve, or go to work on world hunger, but it would be more fun, since this is frivolous anyway, to think of more capricious, more whimsical and gleeful ways to spend it.

Huh! I find that difficult. I guess I'm not as full of whimsy as I thought. The first and foremost thought I have is, wouldn't it have been better to have had this money when I was in my twenties rather than my seventies?

You bet it would! :biggrin:

C