"Noah?" Oh hell, not again

The Bible contains a lot of stories. Scholars feel that many of them were collected over time from various cultures and passed down in oral tradition. It is an interesting read if you don't get all tangled up in the religious concepts.

The largest fictional story in the book is about Noah and his fabled Ark. Again, the historical scholars point to the massive floods that occurred in what is now modern day Iraq. When the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers overflowed and covered the land with water it must have been an impressive site.

The legend of Noah is more likely believed if we take some poor guy, his family and their farm animals and put them on a boat tossing around on flood waters. Not two of every animal in the world, that is plain absurd. Just like this film will be:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/10/18/source-studio-wants-noah-blockbuster-to-be-biblically-accurate-director-feels/

But lowly stories about the trials of one poor guy and his family caught up in a local flood doesn't sell books. The story of Noah and the number of people who accept it as factual only reminds me that if you tell a lie often enough some will believe it is gospel. It seems Hollywood doesn't know what to believe.

How about the story of Abraham, about to slaughter his beloved son because he got into some bad weed and was hearing voices? Oh, wait, that's not exactly the version that's printed, is it? Well, what about this guy who couldn't spell Jon right and kept substituting a b, who seemed to run into a bunch of bad luck? I didn't like the covered with boils part; too creepy for me. But his story didn't sound very likely, either. Maybe he was just allergic to something.

Or maybe what it comes down to is, one just has to have faith. Growing up, I was taught to question things and look for proof, rationality and logic. To believe in scientific explanations where things could be proven. I was shown the secret behind a bunch of magic tricks, saw how astonishing things could be made to look different than they really were.

Bible stories seemed to fall into the category of the absurd, looked at objectively. And I didn't believe.

Perhaps I'm just missing the faith gene.

Sorry if I got a bit off-topic here.

C

No problemo, Cole, we are faced with conundrums every day of our lives. Things like: McDonalds makes good food, or a breakfast at Denny's will fill you up. Each of those places ought to cemetery plots along with their meals.

The more I think about it perhaps the Noah story was some guy in a rowboat with the family pets. Maybe he was a gay man with two cats and a parakeet. You know how gay men tend to exaggerate and Noah would be a good name for a gay guy.

But if most of the Bible stories are meant to inspire and give us moral guidance, what the hell is Noah telling us? The Old Testament God is a real joker? I will bow out of this chat before I say something to offend someone which I am quite good at doing.

• 4 weeks later...

It's the stars that are the real problem for creationism.

If you look up at the night sky with a telescope you see galaxies from billions of years in the past... If you are a creationist you see facsimilies of galaxies created by billions of billions of photons each of which started from a point in space and with a direction that six thousand years later would arrive in your back garden on a planet hurtling through space, to build up an image of a galaxy that never existed. Whats more if you launch a satellite it too will see those galaxies, so the God that created the photons not only knew that you would go out in the garden but also knew that a satellite was going to be launched.

Now I'm not actually saying thats its bollocks, but I do think that if He had nothing better to do than create faked up images of galaxies then God really should have got out more, played with the kids more or found some less obsessive hobby

Piffle. They're painted on a very, very, very big backdrop that's a long, long way away ... really, they are. Honest, Guv.

Ah now, that would mean that He created art, and therefore arts-graduates... right at the beginning before scientists could get logic and rational thought into place.

It explains why we have punctuation and why the Roman Empire was weakened by a need to master the ablative-absolute.

Thank you Camy you have explained the whole downfall of mankind... and by implication the origins of original sin.

Well done!... but, even so... that still means its the existence of stars that explains it all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So the Noah film is about to be released...in some places. I find it extremely funny that a fictional event in a book of fiction is causing such controversy in the Arab countries whose own religion is often viewed as outrageous and filled with fictional imagery.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=856116

It seems the film's producers are depicting a holy figure in Islam which is forbidden. The tale of Noah sure did get around which only proves that the founders of Islam liked to read fiction.

Even as a child I think I didn't believe the Noah story, it just didn't seem possible. Two of every animal?

In my family it was much more likely that two dozen of every known bottles of alcohol would have been saved from mixing them with any water.

There are already some Christian fundamentalists objecting to certain things in the Noah movie, like the title character being drunk, prone to anger, and having bouts of self-doubt. Never mind that all of this is in the Old Testament, that it's actually part of the Jewish Torah, and is not a Christian story at all -- all many years before the historical Jesus.

And... it's all a fictional parable meant to tell a story, not to describe events that actually happened. Heck, if all of us descended solely from Noah's own family, and no other humans survived the flood, wouldn't that mean we're all the offspring of hundreds of generations of incest?

This explains a lot...

There are already some Christian fundamentalists objecting to certain things in the Noah movie, like the title character being drunk, prone to anger, and having bouts of self-doubt. Never mind that all of this is in the Old Testament, that it's actually part of the Jewish Torah, and is not a Christian story at all -- all many years before the historical Jesus.

And... it's all a fictional parable meant to tell a story, not to describe events that actually happened. Heck, if all of us descended solely from Noah's own family, and no other humans survived the flood, wouldn't that mean we're all the offspring of hundreds of generations of incest?

This explains a lot...

Naughty Pecman, you're thinking logically again. :spank:

They're probably the ones that say that God talks to them personally. And he does... you can't say that God doesn't have a sense of humor!

Colin :icon_geek: