Jack in the Green by Dabeagle

• 1 month later...

This is a great story, interesting, funny, plausible, implausible, and enjoyable to read. The only thing negative that I can say is that, as I write this, chapter 3 isn't posted yet.

Colin :icon_geek:

This is a great story, interesting, funny, plausible, implausible, and enjoyable to read. The only thing negative that I can say is that, as I write this, chapter 3 isn't posted yet.

Colin :icon_geek:

A big implausibility for me is the case worker finagling Mike into considering fostering while they're in the waiting room - but typically, dabeagle turns that into a virtue. It's a great scene.

Guest Dabeagle

Notes on Chapter 2:

After I'd written this chapter, and it had been through beta readers, I had my good friend Cathy read through the chapter for the professional end of things. Not only is she our homefinder, as foster parents, but she is also the former head of a county agency for adoption - so she has extensive experience with the system and recruiting foster parents. She assured me that Gloria's initial approach to Mike in the doctor's office is completely organic and that she's had similar conversations in grocery stores, etc.

The story Gloria tells in class of her son is also true, as Cathy tells the story of her son, Ryan, in the fifth class to help weed out those that may react poorly to a child - because the bottom line is you never know what kind of a child you'll get the chance to help. Smokey and the Gimp were also real and she actually asked my husband what happened to him as a child to make him gay. The classes, clearances and process are all true to NYS.

Unfortunately, the child's case is also true to a point. There was, in fact, a child that had this happen to them - but now that person is 18 and able to age out of the foster system.

The doctor's office incident, minus Gloria's interaction, is also drawn from reality. The next chapter will be from Colin's perspective. I am consulting with a clinician to try to make sure I get his psychology and behaviors correct.

I'm glad you are enjoying it, and hope it lives up to expectations - whatever they may be.

• 5 months later...

Chapter Three is up: "The Tull Unification, Colin McIlduff" http://www.awesomedude.com/dabeagle/TU/index.htm and it is a humdinger. You must read the whole of the series from the beginning for it to make sense, however.

It's a pity this thread can't be retitled "The Tull Unification" since this serial story deserves to be discussed as a whole. Not only is the storyline complex and thoroughly compelling, the writing is brilliant. Dabeagle has a gift for filling out a story with supporting details that are so authentic and human they go right to your heart.

I read this a few days ago on Beagles site. Nobody can do it like him. My first read found it lacking at the end, but after reading a couple more times, it ended as it should. Recognise a few charactors from previous Tull stories?

Okay Dabeagle. Wasn't it you that gave me grief on one of my stories about cliffhangers! Hah! I see you too are prone to that little literary teaser.

Just an excellent story, and an excellent series so far. I love the thread that ties these together, unusual and plausible. Absolutely excellent writing. Absolutely stellar characters.

Now, when's the next installment?

Cliffhanger. Harumph.