Pillow Talk by Dabeagle

Rutabaga

I laughed a lot reading this story. Alec and Sasha are so cute together.

They are an amazing couple because I've been in relationships where the insecurity was so great that just the hint that you might find someone else attractive was considered the first move in an affair and set off a war.

Stuff like that kills relationships. You start worrying about what is safe to talk about and what is not and sooner or later, you aren't talking at all.

Only a really secure couple could talk like this.

I laughed a lot reading this story. Alec and Sasha are so cute together.

They are an amazing couple because I've been in relationships where the insecurity was so great that just the hint that you might find someone else attractive was considered the first move in an affair and set off a war.

Stuff like that kills relationships. You start worrying about what is safe to talk about and what is not and sooner or later, you aren't talking at all.

Only a really secure couple could talk like this.

Except Alec, in everything he does and says, is the epitome of insecure. Thus the dichotomy that defines him.

Guest Dabeagle

My goal with this chapter was two fold. One was a conversation that I think many modern couples have - one that defines their relationship. There are, in fact, studies and articles that suggest people who 'save themselves' for marriage often are sexually frustrated and it does, in fact, play a major role in their marriage ending. Some people assume that, once dating, monogamy is implied. So I think it's an important discussion to have so that what is and what isn't acceptable for a relationship is clear to everyone in the relationship.

The second was to show us some of why Alec is how he is. An overwhelming character trait is frequently a mask for other issues and something I like playing with in terms of character construction. Alec's confidence comes from his family, both genetic and found. At a certain age, friends become more important to kids than their parents - for a time. So it was important to show the magnitude of Sasha's impact on him and that of Chase and Kale and the rest as well.

As to Rutabaga's veiled question, only time will tell.

I'm glad he explained it to us, because I was never really sure what the actual resolution was... I liked the rolling conversation, but still felt that Alec never really actually told what was really bothering him, I still think there's something there.

At least they aren't in any danger of falling out of love with each other, but I think Alec is still maybe hiding something that he isn't saying.

And they never came up with an answer to them losing Kale and Chase. It would be interesting to see what kind of conversation Kale and Chase would have and if they feel the lose of companionship in the same way with two members of their famly having been away for half a year. There's also the issue of Chase leaving Austin behind, too, that maybe needs to be explored.

So many themes erupt from this compassionate story.

I see a teacher who deserved to be horsewhipped and immediately discharged.

I see a young boy who, like so many students, was so sabotaged by an incompetent teacher that he has yet to fully recover his original joy in learning.

I see two lovers who venture into very difficult territory but who manage to achieve frank and open exchanges.

I see a relationship that is strengthened even more by these honest revelations.

I see an array of object lessons for us all.

This is a wonderful story that goes far beyond entertainment.

Guest Dabeagle

I give Cole credit for pushing this story to be more than it was originally.

Also...Mrs. Ramona Burks was real. She was my 5th grade teacher and she did all those things to me.

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Which sounded so familiar to me, I had to Google it. Pretty well the catchphrase uttered on many occasions by Francis Urquhart in the BBC series 'House of Cards' and the two follow ups. I was sure something similar had been in the BBC series 'Yes Minister' but it doesn't seem to be.

There was an American version of 'House of Cards' but if like other shows Americanised, probably not as good - I've no idea if the catchphrase survived.

Guest RBartlett

Which sounded so familiar to me, I had to Google it. Pretty well the catchphrase uttered on many occasions by Francis Urquhart in the BBC series 'House of Cards' and the two follow ups. I was sure something similar had been in the BBC series 'Yes Minister' but it doesn't seem to be.

There was an American version of 'House of Cards' but if like other shows Americanised, probably not as good - I've no idea if the catchphrase survived.

I loved the original with the great Ian Richardson but surprisingly the American version isn't bad. Typically every show we rip off from the UK is a train wreck but American House of Cards is different enough from the original that it holds it's own. It helps that it's also got a fantastic cast.