Cool Dad

The following is a letter I saw posted online today. No explanation needed.

Nate,

I overheard your phone conversation with Mike last night about your plans to come out to me. The only thing I need you to plan is to bring home OJ and bread after class. We are out, like you now. I've known you were gay since you were six. I've loved you since you were born.

-Dad

P.S. Your mom and I think you and Mike make a cute couple.

I hope it's genuine.

Because of that comment about knowing his son is gay from the age of six. You can't know at that age -- you can only 'know' that the boy is effeminate. Being gay is about sexual attraction and sexual attraction doesn't manifest itself until puberty. It doesn't show itself at the age of six...

This could be about an effeminate boy with a boyfriend called Mike, so it's definitely plausible, but the dad saying he's known since the boy was six shows that the dad doesn't understand what being gay means.

It's been around on the web for a long time. I think it may be genuine though - I could imagine a father claiming to have known his son was gay since he was six even though as Graeme quite rightly says he couldn't have - but it's a neat way of making clear that he doesn't have a problem with it.

I hope it's genuine - i would like to think there's a Dad around somewhere who wrote that letter. He deserves a hug.

I think it was the dad confirming that he loved his son, he always had, and he'd had suspicions for a long time, and that they didn't bother him a bit. Sure, it could be a hoax. I simply don't want to think of it that way. It's easy to be negative and doubtful. Or one can choose to look at the bright side. I think the man was simply trying to assuage any fears the boy may have had.

C