Sioni Nionod by Mihangel

Yes...I was only going to read one chapter and then get on with my daily chores. Needless to say that didn't happen.

Once again Mihangel has given us a wonderful tale of love wrapped in his beautiful description of the Welsh landscape. The characters are uniquely compelling and varied which gives the accompanying artwork more meaning. I thought perhaps I would find myself lost in trying to understand the Welsh language but Mihangel took care of that as well.

It is so hard to express the amazement I felt while reading this story...and yes, I read all the chapters this morning. Wish there was more I could say without spoiling the plot for others so all of you must read this amazing work, and then we can talk about it.

What wonderful story!

Recovering from my recent surgery this story gave me some much needed rest from my self-obsession with hospitals.

I also found some further proof of my Welsh ancestry (mixed with a taint of Scottish.) I swear that through Mihangel's writing I heard the Land of my Fathers with fresh ears and tears in my eyes for the love that comes to us all if we will but wait. Even if it means waiting All Through The Night.

Recommended. :hug:

I could easily list all the things Mihangel does in his writing that I admire, but will chose only one: he has his characters use words I don't know, and sometimes the reason is the character is making them up. I sometimes do the same thing in my writing, and always feel a bit devilish when I do so.

Did anyone else note the use of the rather enigmatic word fratchety?

Nicely done, Mihangel!

C

Off soon to crawl up my Welsh mountain where there's no internet, and I'll be out of circulation for a bit. So before I disappear, thanks to you guys for your kind words. Sioni was a difficult one to get right, because it centres on a Welshman and a Breton trying to understand each other's language, with or without the help of a smidgen of French. But yet (because I doubt Mike or anyone else would welcome a story wholly in Welsh) it had to be essentially in English. So if the resulting complexities have worked, I'm delighted; and mightily relieved, too.

Fratchety? Common enough on this side of the pond, if not on that.

OneLook.com is a dictionary service that checks the word you supply in multiple dictionaries, then shows what dictionaries it was found in and their definition of it. It has other very valuable services, too. What it doesn't have is any definition for fratchety, as doesn't Dictionary.com. As OneLook checks English dictionaries as well and American ones, I don't know that fratchety can be all that common on that side of the salty drink.

I still think you made it up.

C

There’s always something to learn from one of Mihangel’s fine tales, and from this one there is a great deal indeed. I have learned of the link between Welsh and Breton. I have learned how slates from Wales got halfway around the world. I have been cautioned to take great care when descending stone steps. Not least I have learned anew that Mihangel’s writings are a treasure indeed.

P.S. I think Cole is being frachety.

Well Cole I can assure you that frachety is in use over here. Was at the RHS Tatton Garden Flower Show today and heard a woman telling her husband to "stop being so bloody frachety and pay the bill." Seeing the number of plants she had bought my sympathy were with the husband who had to carry them!

Well Cole I can assure you that frachety is in use over here. Was at the RHS Tatton Garden Flower Show today and heard a woman telling her husband to "stop being so bloody frachety and pay the bill." Seeing the number of plants she had bought my sympathy were with the husband who had to carry them!

​Earlier in the day my friend who was driving me up to the show asked me why I was so fractious? That word is from the same root.

I have now finished reading Sioni Nionod and can only admire Mihangel for not only his story telling ability but for the accuracy of the research that went into the background to the story. Some years ago I researched the Onion Johnnies for a documentary about the historical links between Cornwall and Brittany. I thought I knew quite a bit about them but I have learnt a lot from this story. A great piece of writing very well done and exceptionally well researched.

OneLook.com is a dictionary service that checks the word you supply in multiple dictionaries, then shows what dictionaries it was found in and their definition of it. It has other very valuable services, too. What it doesn't have is any definition for fratchety, as doesn't Dictionary.com. As OneLook checks English dictionaries as well and American ones, I don't know that fratchety can be all that common on that side of the salty drink.

I still think you made it up.

C

"Fratchety" is defiined in Wiiktionary:

fratchety
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Auto-redirected from Fratchety)
Jump to: navigation, search
English Adjective

fratchety ‎(comparative more fratchety, superlative most fratchety)

1. (Britain, dialect) argumentative

So Cole is being a bit fratchety himself!

Colin :icon_geek:

OneLook does show 'fratch' as a verb, meaning to argue. It doesn't show it as an adjective; so I guess the inventiveness came from others taking the fratch ball and running with it, bobbing and weaving, dislodging tacklers and assuming new identities as it went. It only shows up in six dictionaries, meaning it's fairly obscure. It does sound like a beautiful word, however, and has already assumed a place in my own vocabulary.

C

• 5 weeks later...