Millrace by Camy

Codey

I don't understand this:
wth is a napper?

WTH = What the hell

so he's asking you what a napper is.

Thanks. But what I meant was I don't understand the statement. The word 'napper' doesn't appear in the story... Unless it's just a general question 'out of the blue' in which case it's slang for a head - the one your ears are attached to, not a toilet on a boat. Or a person that brings up the nap on cloth. or someone asleep, having a nap.

Phew.

Camy, what Codey meant to ask about was a natter, where Jack and John sit down to have "a bit of a natter." He just mistyped it.

A "natter" is like "nattering on about something." A natter means they're chatting, shooting the breeze, having a bull session. They're just hangin' out and talking.

Camy, if it's more specific than that, please tell me, as I'm from the other side of the Big Pond. ;)

-----

I liked "Millrace," though the villain's vile, he's meant to show that not everyone is nice or trustworthy, just because they're gay. It's a valuable point to remember. -- Be careful, be healthy, and be happy out there, guys.

The talks between Jack and Anth, and Jack and Davey are wonderful.

This was very well done, and whatever input your editor had, you've written some good quality fiction.

A "natter" is like "nattering on about something." A natter means they're chatting, shooting the breeze, having a bull session. They're just hangin' out and talking.

absolutely right :)

Colloquialisms are a bugbear.

-----

I liked "Millrace," though the villain's vile, he's meant to show that not everyone is nice or trustworthy, just because they're gay. It's a valuable point to remember. -- Be careful, be healthy, and be happy out there, guys.  

The talks between Jack and Anth, and Jack and Davey are wonderful.  

This was very well done, and whatever input your editor had, you've written some good quality fiction.

Thanks! I really, really appreciate the feedback. :D

yea...sorry about that Camy. I've had something on my mind last night and today and it's kinda got my concentration off. natter is what I meant.

Heh. not a problem. So I'm a few braincells light, but I've got a couple left... hopefully!

Camy

ps; wth is a napper?

napper n. Word History: The famous verse 4 of Psalm 121, rendered in the King James Version as "Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep," is rendered in a Middle English translation as "Loo, ha shal not nappen ne slepen that kepeth ireal." The word nappen is indeed the Middle English ancestor of our word nap. Lest it be thought undignified to say that God could nap, it must be realized that our word nap was at one time not associated only with the younger and older members of society nor simply with short periods of rest. The ancestors of our word, Old English hnappian and its descendant, Middle English nappen, could both refer to prolonged periods of sleep as well as short ones and also, as in the quotation from Psalm 121, to sleepiness. But these senses have been lost. Since the word has become less dignified, we would not find nap used in a modern translation of Psalm 121.

Napper Tandy- a chain of Irish pubs on the US Eastern seaboard.

Napper An uncommon surname in the American Southeast of Acadian extraction which is thought to be a corruption of Napier.

• 1 year later...

Was this the first story of Camy's that I ever read? Can't remember now. But I can remember the story, almost word for word. It made a BIG impression on me. Why? Partly because it's about the world I inhabit - run-down seaside tourism land UK. Partly because it's a story about people like me. But mostly because it's so brilliantly written. Infectious, involving, heart-rending and heart-warming, I just love this. If you haven't read it, go read. NOW.

Thanks for giving it away, Camy!

Bruin