If You Don't Stop...I'm Never Coming Back Here

It was summer, June 2000, when Greg and Mark first met on Lake Walton. Each summer after that, they would join their families for a summer vacation before parting ways for another year. It was summer, June 2000, Greg and Mark were five years old. 

June, 2000

"What are you doing Greg?"

"Nothing, just go back to sleep, sorry."

"If you keep snuggling me, I'm not going to sleep over here anymore."

June 2005

"Greg...what are you doing?"

"Nothing."

"It sure doesn't feel like nothing."

"Just go back to sleep, Mark."

"If you keep rubbing up against me, I'm not going to come back here next year."

June 2010

"Damn it, Greg."

"What now?"

"If you keep dry humping me when I'm asleep, I'm not coming back here again."

June 2012

"Jesus Christ, Greg."

"Yes."

"If you don't stop doing that with your mouth under the covers, I'm not coming back here again."

June 2015

"Oh Jesus, Greg!"

"You like that?"

"If you ever stop attacking me in my sleep, then I'll never come back here ever again."

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

Jason's always been among the most talented we have here.  It's a pleasure whenever he gets off his duff and writes!

I've heard Jason makes a very good Plumb Duff. Perfect with custard... or cream.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, Cole Parker said:

Jason's always been among the most talented we have here.  It's a pleasure whenever he gets off his duff and writes!

C

Two years ago I was about finished with a post apocalyptic story centered around a dam in oregan. And my USB drive fell out of my bag and was run over. It was heartbreaking. It had all my stories, ides, unfinished product. Nothing was backed up.  

I have tried recreating what I lost but I couldn’t so I shelved that story and moved on.  

since I have been writing something new in between a very busy life. I have 86 pages written, about 33k words.  This one is set in Florida keys.  So Cole, I’m writing again. Consider me off my duff.  

J

5 hours ago, Jason Rimbaud said:

I have been writing something new in between a very busy life. I have 86 pages written, about 33k words.  This one is set in Florida keys.  So Cole, I’m writing again. Consider me off my duff.  

J

That is excellent news and makes my day!  Thanks for the update!

Just a note for all writers out there.  When I get well into a story, at least to a point where I'd be devastated to lose it. I begin putting it on a memory stick every night.  So far I haven't had to access one of those, but knowing it's there and knowing how fickle computers are, it gives me great peace of mind.

C

you guys could try google docs, so that everything's saved and backed up online and can also be accessed through your phones. i used it when i went back to writing. already learned my lesson 10 years ago lol

• 6 months later...

I have taken your advice and have been using Google docs exclusively.  The down side is, with my current job, I am busier than a one arm paper hanger.  Most of my google docs are new systems for the restaurants I am opening, online training guides and worrisome employee applications. I"ve never worked so hard in my life while sitting in front of a computer before.  

J

An absolutely splendid piece of writing, Jason. What a neat device you used.

There's a movie about a couple of friends, one straight, one gay, who share a hotel room for a wedding, and then return to the room every year, their relationship developing and other relationships each of them have coming and going over the years. It's called, I think, "The Last Straight Man".

That sounds like a remake of a seventies movie, Same Time Next Year, starring Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn. Of course it was about a straight couple. Both married to other people but for a weekend once a year, they go to the same cabin and carry on an affair. I found it highly entertaining. I'll have to check out the Last Straight Man, to see how it holds up to the original.

I have been trying to write that story for years, with several dozen drafts with different plots, but I could never get it to where I thought it was as good as the original. I'm glad to see someone else stole another one of my ideas.  🙂

Jason

• 2 months later...

Somewhere/Somewhen a contributor to this website advise me to start using google docs instead of saving things on the hard drive or memory stick. Anyway, I have since started doing this with all my online work.

So at first I started by copying and pasting, but then I noticed how many spelling errors, grammatical mistakes that I actually started rewriting everything. I have since rewritten every blog entry I wrote, now I'm working on my fiction. It's been a blast putting everything in google docs. So whoever told me this thank you!