Here's Looking At You, Kid

I think there is a place for reading chapters as they are posted.

I quite understand and agree with the frustration of waiting for that next chapter, but there are also stories that benefit from that wait.

My new series on the Doors of Love is just that, a series. It is meant to be a light-hearted episodic story, designed to be read each week as a segment in the lives of the boys who first appeared in my blog.

Think of it as a cartoon short episode, before the main feature.

Coming soon, as soon as my editor finishes correcting it. :stare:

I think there is a place for reading chapters as they are posted.

I quite understand and agree with the frustration of waiting for that next chapter, but there are also stories that benefit from that wait.

My new series on the Doors of Love is just that, a series. It is meant to be a light-hearted episodic story, designed to be read each week as a segment in the lives of the boys who first appeared in my blog.

Think of it as a cartoon short episode, before the main feature.

Coming soon, as soon as my editor finishes correcting it. :stare:

Oh man, I cannot wait to read that!

OK, so I had to look up tenterhooks because I don't think that I ever really knew the definition, but what does tenterhooks have to do with home? Am I missing something? I admit that I can be pretty flaky occasionally and could be totally reading the sentence wrong.

No, you're reading it right. Forget the 'when it's at home' bit. It's excessive use of UK colloquial verbiage ... erm, as is that. :icon1:

Camy :hehe:

Tenterhooks is one of a number of English words that seem to have been derived from misconstruing an obvious but mistaken interpretation.

As a teenager, I thought the word was "tenderhooks" because it was often said, "don't bother so and so now they are on tenterhooks."

So I grew up thinking that someone had invented the word to be pretentious and to avoid saying tender-hooks. How silly, I thought.

Many of these misunderstandings come from lazy speech patterns where people don't bother to enunciate correctly.

Australians are prone to talk without parting their lips. A great deal of our accent comes from this as it stops the vowels from being fully formed, with the sound being forced through the nose.

I suffered through my early years in school from teachers who had the diction of a bound and gagged, drunken, murder victim.

It wasn't until my high school years that I learned a dot at the end of a sentence was called a full stop, not a false dot or fool's top.

Never be frightened to open your mouth and speak precisely. If people understand what you are asking for they might want to help you out. :icon1:

It wasn't until my high school years that I learned a dot at the end of a sentence was called a full stop, not a false dot or fool's top.

Hahahahaha! That's wonderful!

Anyway, *coughs* back ON TOPIC!

So ... when's the next chapter up?

Camy

• 2 weeks later...

Douglas' Here's Looking at You, Kid finished today.

What a marvelous piece of writing! I enjoyed every word of it. His unique voice and style, which we witnessed in Gang of Five, was on display again, and felt every bit as good here as it did there.

He draws you into his scene adroitly and totally. You become a part of it, and develop a great empathy with his well drawn and lifelike characters.

I was sorry to see this one end, but like knowing it's there for me to return to when I'm looking to reread a romanic, erotic and luminous piece of writing.

Well done indeed, Doug.

C

what's a 'tenterhook' anyway, when it's at home?

tenterhook

Main Entry: ten?ter?hook

Pronunciation: \ˈten-tər-ˌhu̇k\

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

: a sharp hooked nail used especially for fastening cloth on a tenter*

? on tenterhooks : in a state of uneasiness, strain, or suspense <the waiting kept us on tenterhooks>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tenterhooks

*Main Entry: ten?ter

Pronunciation: \ˈten-tər\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English teyntur, probably from Medieval Latin tentura, from tenta tent frame, tent

Date: 14th century

1: a frame or endless track with hooks or clips along two sides that is used for drying and stretching cloth

2archaic : tenterhook

Oh, did I ever stumble on this thread late . . . (Covers his face, embarrassed.) I didn't know it was here.

I need to change my lurking habits.

Thank you, everybody; I appreciate your comments and kind words, very, very much.

Virtual hugs to you, all around -