Pathetic

Aaaarrrrggghh!

Visceral, painful, heart-rending, but skilfully written and powerful.

It hurts that a talented writer has such pain to describe. I hope it isn't a reflection of your own state of mind? Believe me, this story was NOT written by a person of no worth, talentless, perverted. No way. The writer of this is worthy of much admiration and support.

I hope, Res, that putting this down on paper has helped to get it out and get rid of it. Writing does that for me and helps me live a calmer, more contented life.

Hugs

Bruin

I'd wager every one of us here has felt just that. And half or more have found themselves sitting with a razorblade, trying to figure out the best place to cut. Maybe more than once.

But it's difficult to describe in a way that isn't bombastic, or whiny. It's difficult but you've done it. So congratulations, and thanks.

I have realized that this is a little stronger than most stuff posted here and have toned down some of the language. If it is a little too much, I understand if it is removed. Anyway...

Provided the language is part of 'the story', and not obviously stuck in for shock value, I don't see a problem with it.

'Pathetic' is bleak, sad, and in hindsight - because it stuck in my head - powerful.

It hurts that a talented writer has such pain to describe.
It's sad that anybody has to result to cutting.

But surely writers need stuff like this happening in their lives, otherwise what would they write about? :lipssealed:

I'd wager every one of us here has felt just that. And half or more have found themselves sitting with a razorblade, trying to figure out the best place to cut.

Hmm. I can't deny I've thought about it. Lucky for me that pain isn't my 'thing'. *shudders*

Thank you, Ril.

Camy

I'm sorry if it was unsatisfactory or perhaps juvenile....

Hey, what gives, Res? There's a whole bunch of us just posted comments saying what a great and powerful story this is, and you reply apologising for it?!?

Don't knock youself, mate - we said it's good work because that's what we think. You should be proud of it. If you can produce work like that 'rough, unedited', you've got a great talent.

Now... you want your shoes shined, sir?

Bruin :applause[1]:

Guest Rustic Monk

i think the narrator was talking about slitting its wrists. TWO slices. not a handful of intricate gouges.

i just wanted to say that this seems familiar.

not like I've seen it before. even though this isn't the newest concept in writing for me (i mention suicide a lot in poems and in angel.) but the struggle seems familiar.

kudos

oh yeah. and don't apologize to anyone for your writing.

• 2 months later...

The thing that made this story for me is that it doesn't address the 'big issues.' it's all about the nit-picky stuff, the tiny little annoyances that we end up spending so much time on. What made it so heart-breaking for me was that he was worried about his 'stuff' and his AP papers when he was about to off himself. I know that I sometimes prattle on and on about the 'sense of immediacy' that for me is the hallmark of skillful writing...this piece has it in spades.

cheers!

aj