Heinz mayo ad too saucy for some viewers

E.J.

Heinz mayo ad too saucy for some viewers

Mark Sweney, guardian.co.uk

Link to Video

The ad watchdog has received almost 200 complaints about a Heinz mayonnaise TV campaign featuring two men sharing a kiss.

With 175 complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority so far, the Heinz Deli Mayo TV ad is already on track to be one of the most complained-about ads of the year.

Some complainants said the ad was "offensive" and that it is "inappropriate to see two men kissing".

Other complaints include that the ad was "unsuitable to be seen by children" and that it raised the difficult problem of parents having to discuss the issue of same-sex relationships with younger viewers.

The number of complaints about the TV ad, which launched last Monday and is set to run for five weeks, is almost certain to pass through the 200 mark when the ASA finishes collating the weekend tally of complaints today. The ASA has not yet decided whether to investigate the TV ad.

Heinz's ad opens with a family on a normal morning routine with a young boy and girl getting ready for school and their father preparing for the office.

The young boy and girl go to the kitchen to get their sandwiches, which are being prepared by a man with a New York accent, dressed in a deli serving outfit, who they refer to as "mum".

When their father goes to get his sandwich he says to mum in the kitchen: "See you tonight love."

However, mum barks back "Hey, ain't you forgetting something?", at which point the two men share a kiss. Mum then sends the father off with the words: "Love you. Straight home from work, sweet cheeks."

The Heinz TV ad carries an "ex-kids" restriction, meaning it cannot be shown in or around children's programming, because Heinz Deli Mayo falls foul of Ofcom's TV ad restrictions relating to products that are high in fat, salt and sugar.

An anti-smoking TV campaign for the Department of Health that featured a man being dragged to a shop by a fish hook piercing his cheek was the most complained about ad of last year, according to the ASA's annual report.

The ad, which aimed to highlight how hooked smokers are on feeding their addiction, attracted 774 complaints.

Guardian.co.uk ? Guardian News and Media Limited 2008

Some complainants said the ad was "offensive" and that it is "inappropriate to see two men kissing".

Sadly, we would have a similar reaction from certain sections of the Australian community.

So I take it from this, we can conclude that some people in America have never been to Europe or never watched a European movie, or never seen a rugby game, just to mention one kissing sport.

Certainly the physical kiss in this ad is no worse than a same sex kiss used for greeting in public in many cultures.

Now I can't help but wonder if the First amendment can be used to cover freedom of expression of affection.

I suppose not.

As for those who are worried about having to explain two men kissing to their children, then I think it is a golden opportunity to tell them that it is perfectly natural.

I can remember one boyfriend of mine who burst into a long exclamation of French just before he kissed me farewell at The Adelaide airport, 42 years ago, when we were both 23.

It worked, no one even raised an eyebrow. :icon_geek:

Do Heinz have a female version of the ad? Interesting to see how many complaints that would get.

You have a point, Des, except it is probably wrong. The ASA in question is the UK agency, and the complaints are in England, of all things.

You have a point, Des, except it is probably wrong. The ASA in question is the UK agency, and the complaints are in England, of all things.

England? Oh dear what is the world coming to? :icon_geek:

So I guess it is, "No sauciness please, we are British."

Of course what we all get up to in the privacy of our own kitchens is anyone's guess.

My apologies to our American friends who I am sure would see the amusing nature of the ad. :wav:

Some people should really go and get a life. I'm off to the shop.

I'm assuming the 'some people' are the complainants, and not Des and I for poking fun?

I'm assuming the 'some people' are the complainants, and not Des and I for poking fun?

You see how easy it is to me misconstrued!? Yes, I meant the complainants. I thought the Ad was ... um ... admirable :icon_geek:

What I also liked was that they cast ordinary looking men in the 'parental' roles, and not stunningly good looking models. They should win an award for it - and probably will.

Camy

Heinz pulls ad showing men kissing

Mark Sweney, guardian.co.uk

LINK

Heinz has withdrawn its Deli Mayo TV ad that featured two men sharing a kiss and apologised to viewers after the advertising regulator received about 200 complaints that it was offensive and inappropriate.

The Heinz Deli Mayo ad has been pulled after less than a week on air after viewers complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that it was "offensive" and "inappropriate to see two men kissing".

Other complaints include that the ad was "unsuitable to be seen by children" and that it raised the difficult problem of parents having to discuss the issue of same-sex relationships with younger viewers.

"It is our policy to listen to consumers. We recognise that some consumers raised concerns over the content of the ad and this prompted our decision to withdraw it," said Nigel Dickie, director of corporate affairs for Heinz UK.

Dickie added that the campaign for the new Heinz Deli Mayo product, which was due to run for five weeks, was meant to be humorous and that the company apologised to anyone who felt offended.

The TV ad is the first by Heinz's new ad agency AMV BBDO since it won the ?10m-a-year UK business last year.

AMV BBDO said that the concept behind the campaign is that the product tastes so good, "It's as if you have your own New York deli man in your kitchen."

Heinz's ad opens with a family on a normal morning routine with a young boy and girl getting ready for school and their father preparing for the office.

The young boy and girl go to the kitchen to get their sandwiches, which are being prepared by a man with a New York accent, dressed in a deli serving outfit, who they refer to as "mum".

When their father goes to get his sandwich he says to mum in the kitchen: "See you tonight love."

However, mum barks back "Hey, ain't you forgetting something?", at which point the two men share a kiss. Mum then sends the father off with the words: "Love you. Straight home from work, sweet cheeks."

The Heinz TV ad carried an "ex-kids" restriction, meaning it cannot be shown in or around children's programming, because Heinz Deli Mayo falls foul of Ofcom's TV ad restrictions relating to products that are high in fat, salt and sugar.

The ASA has not yet decided whether to investigate the complaints about the Heinz ad.

Heinz said it made the decision to stop airing the ad on Friday.

Sad to see them pull it. It would be interesting to see if they'd run it in Canada, where marriage of same sex adults is legal. There would, quite literally, be no grounds for asking for removal.

I have lots of ads on TV that irritate the hell out of me, in fact, so much so I'll even turn it off or change channels when they come on, but do I write to complain? Noooo. I guess I should. Seems like that's the easiest way to change the world. Bitch a lot about unimportant stuff.

The ads on TV offended me so much that I haven't watched TV for over 20 years.

If they had more ads like the Heinz one I might just be tempted to switch the thing on.

:devlish:

I have lots of ads on TV that irritate the hell out of me, in fact, so much so I'll even turn it off or change channels when they come on, but do I write to complain? Noooo. I guess I should. Seems like that's the easiest way to change the world. Bitch a lot about unimportant stuff.

I do the same thing.

Why not try to get Heinz to change their mind?

Heinz UK Website Contact Form

The Advertising Standards Authority have not decided whether to investigate the complaints they've received - they might decide the complaints are derisory and shouldn't be given credence. Nevertheless Heinz have decided to pull the Ad. Chicken or what?

So I wrote them a letter on their Contact Form (link above) as follows:

I heard you decided not to air your new TV advert for New York Deli Mayo. There's a lot of talk on the internet about this decision, some complaints have been made but the ASA hasn't decided whether to investigate them. Nevertheless you've decided to pull the Ad.

I want you to know that I'm sorry you made that decision - I watched the ad on the internet several times because it was beautifully made and make-you-laugh funny. Not offensive at all. And I 'got the point' that your Ad agency intended - it's supposed to show that your new product is like having your very own Deli man just like New York, in your own kitchen. Please re-consider?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I didn't mention that I don't like Mayonnaise - I thought that might lessen the weight of my argument!

Bruin

A friend of mine who saw it mid-afternoon says she found the last line - 'see ya later sweet cheeks' made her feels a bit 'icky.'

I asked her why, and she said she 'thought it related to anal sex'. I fell over! 'cause that wasn't the way I saw it ... which only goes to show that peoples perception over intent, differs.

"Bring back the ad!" I say. Or at least put it back on YouTube.

O'Reilly declares victory as British mayonnaise ad yanked

by Nick Langewis

LINK

"I told you guys," Fox News' Bill O'Reilly said to panelists Bernard Goldberg and Jane Hall over a British mayonnaise commercial, featuring a man-on-man kiss, that has been taken off the air.

O'Reilly claimed victory in his assertion that the ad was "distasteful" and offensive to "millions of people."

"Are you ready to admit I was right?" O'Reilly asked the panel.

"No," Goldberg deadpanned. "You're not attractive, Bill, when you gloat."

"I think they made a mistake," he went on, "and I think this is...part of a much bigger problem: Corporate executives and regular folks--way too many of them--are gutless wonders. At the first sign of controversy, they're looking for a desk to hide under."

An earlier segment had O'Reilly at odds with Goldberg and Hall over the societal implications, and the intentions, of Heinz UK in airing such a commercial. Goldberg called O'Reilly "nuts," and Hall concurred with Goldberg in rejecting the notion that the commercial was a "gay thing." Said Goldberg, the marketing of Heinz Deli Mayo was "a mayonnaise thing."

The United Kingdom's Advertising Standards Authority received 202 complaints about the commercial, whose intent, according to ad agency AMV BBDO, was to show the transformation of a typical kitchen into a deli by a particularly remarkable jar of deli-style mayonnaise rather than an outright depiction of a household headed by a gay couple.

"The advertisement was intended to be humorous, not designed to cause offence to anyone," Heinz UK director of corporate affairs Nigel Dickie told The Independent. "Clearly it failed in its intent to amuse and that is why we took the decision to withdraw it."

An online petition has since, as of this writing, accumulated over 9,200 signatures calling for the commercial's reinstatement.

Copyright ? 2007 Page One News Media, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...