R U Gay??

This is a great story that still forces a smile. It's a wonderful mental image as the clipboard-wielding official asks the guy 'are you Gay?' and he is forced to come out to the passengers around him, and then she insists he gets off the 'plane.

It's a bit like the story I posted in Laughs and Limericks last March...

Mr Gay's Airline Incident

Bruin - no offense!

:shock:

Bruin, I cannot imagine anyone taking offense at your post. :shock:

Just so everyone knows Ansett Airlines and Trans Australian Airlines (TAA) serviced Australia's domestic airline needs for many years. TAA was funded by the Australian Government to offer competition to Reg Ansett's privately owned company. (Government policy was to split Government business between the two equally.)

Qantas Airlines was Australia's International carrier and eventually absorbed TAA (after permitting legislation was passed.)

Ansett went through some extremely difficult times and was sold to Air New Zealand.

Ansett officially ceased operations permanently at 2359 on 4 March 2002.

For a good coverage of the Ansett's rise and fall see Wikipedia's entry on Ansett.

Both Qantas and TAA hold the records for safety in air travel, I believe. Aussies are very proud of that.

Some of you may wonder about the spelling of Qantas as the word does not have the customary 'u' after the 'Q'.

This is because the name was originally "QANTAS", an acronym for "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services". Nicknamed "The Flying Kangaroo."

Wiki has more on Qantas

There is an Aussie urban legend about Qantas stewards being gay, which may not be without some foundation, in my admittedly limited experience. But it does justify the local expression "Cum Fly with Me" and may well have contributed to the above Ansett gay story as competition was fierce amongst the staff of the airlines as to which was the best employer.

:hehe:

Both Qantas and TAA hold the records for safety in air travel, I believe. Aussies are very proud of that.

Famously, Dustin Hoffman's character in the movie Rain Main refuses to fly on any airline except Qantas -- but unfortunately, they need to fly from the American East coast to LA.

On the other hand, then there was that thing a couple of days ago with the Qantas jet developing a gaping hole in the side, as covered here.

Famously, Dustin Hoffman's character in the movie Rain Main refuses to fly on any airline except Qantas -- but unfortunately, they need to fly from the American East coast to LA.

On the other hand, then there was that thing a couple of days ago with the Qantas jet developing a gaping hole in the side, as covered here.

Yes and it should be noted that no one was hurt or killed in that incident. The Qantas crew set the plane down in text book fashion and are now Aussie heroes.

Immediate action was taken by Qantas to investigate the cause and to make sure the rest of the fleet is safe.

I told you we are proud of our safety record. :shock:

PS Even those Aussies who don't like Hoffman's 'Rainman' movie, love the refference to Qantas. :hehe:

And another incident today when a door on one of their 737's flew open mid-flight. Again a safe landing with no injuries.

Sounds as if someone's asleep on the job.

AT least the pilots were awake enough to avert disaster.

[/url]

Technically, you could do that, but it would mean going the LOOOONNNNNGGGGGG way around, with a complimentary stop down under.

Rick

AT least the pilots were awake enough to avert disaster.

It seems that the fuel prices are having an affect on Qantas.

However reading between the lines I wouldn't be surprised to find that management is using the fuel pricing as an excuse to restructure the airline's staffing. Safety and maintenance may well be part of the cuts which have been circulating in the media since mid-July, but bear in mind that they will still have to meet the very high Australian air-industry regulations.

Of course modern management has developed ways to circumvent logic and regulations for profit. We may well be watching the demise of a proud Australian enterprise. :shock:

I hope not.

Technically, you could do that, but it would mean going the LOOOONNNNNGGGGGG way around, with a complimentary stop down under.

Rick

Now there's a thought! Hahaha.

Safety and maintenance may well be part of the cuts which have been circulating in the media since mid-July...

Sadly, this is a problem with every major airline around the world. I caught an interview a couple of weeks ago with I think a Delta exec, who said, "no airline's business plans ever included the possibility of oil prices going to $150 a barrel."

All airlines are cutting back on maintenance, food, and customer support. Even the number of flights are being sharply reduced. Tough situation.

• 4 weeks later...