Dan Kirk has started another

Trab

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I based my observation on the population of both India and China (just look at how much time it took them to get to their numbers right now). From what I had read of Dan's story, it sounded like there are at least 20 human-occupied planets (all of The Kingdom, Republic, and Federation governments). Reading what Dan wrote of how he figured out the population by that time, I could agree with his numbers if the people actually have no odds against them. But what is natural life without odds?

Still, I'm only just nit-picking. :icon_geek: I like the plot. I especially like the debate of whether clones have souls -- I think it's a brilliant, brilliant take on human nature and how religion works. The population bugs me, but hey, a lot of things about the story could bug other people.

Rad

I agree with Trab. No question that if there was no need for birth control, and assuming that technology has solved our problems with clean air, water, food supplies, the elimination of global warming, and a few other issues, I think a 10 billion+ population is perfectly acceptable, even on multiple planets.

I remembered an old SF classic The Mote in God's Eye, where there's a race of aliens that uncontrollably keeps breeding to the point where their planets get hopelessly overcrowded, civil war breaks out, they kill most of each other, and then the cycle starts all over again -- all because they die quickly if they don't breed all the time. Fascinating book. It has a similar "jump to light speed" gimmick as Dan's novels, but I hasten to point out the same idea has been used in a couple of dozen books (all well before Star Wars popularized it).

I've always wondered if SciFi writers are seeing something in the future, or whether they inspire scientists into trying to match the visions and dreams the writers have put to paper. If it is the latter, which I suspect, then we need to encourage new writers, and old, to let go of any artificial boundaries to release the imaginations and efforts of those trying to match the dreams with real progress.

I've always wondered if SciFi writers are seeing something in the future, or whether they inspire scientists into trying to match the visions and dreams the writers have put to paper.

It's a little of both. I had never heard the title "Chief Technical Officer" until Star Trek, but starting in the 1970s, lots of corporations started using it, to the point where every major company has them now.

I also recall a medical company a few years ago coming out with a hospital bed with a whole bunch of readouts on top -- everything from heart rate to blood pressure, respiration, etc. The company admitted they had been inspired by Dr. McCoy's sickbay in Star Trek, and actually made the real thing look about 75% like the TV version.

It's a little of both. I had never heard the title "Chief Technical Officer" until Star Trek, but starting in the 1970s, lots of corporations started using it, to the point where every major company has them now.

I also recall a medical company a few years ago coming out with a hospital bed with a whole bunch of readouts on top -- everything from heart rate to blood pressure, respiration, etc. The company admitted they had been inspired by Dr. McCoy's sickbay in Star Trek, and actually made the real thing look about 75% like the TV version.

To go back to The Forbidden Planet it has always fascinated me that the film was made before the advent of computer programming as we think of it to day. So Robby the Robot was not "programmed" but announced, "I am not monitored to admit anyone at this hour."

I am certain that the word programmed would have been used today instead of monitored.

It's not only scientists that science fiction stories influence. Kids playing games in the back yard build on the terminology they have seen and heard. Even as an adult, I still enjoy changing gears in my little four cylinder Ford hatchback and saying out loud to me self, "Warp factor 3, Mr. Spock." as I slip it into third gear.

Jules Verne and H.G.Wells both contributed ideas in fiction which have stimulated the form and investigation of our arts and sciences.

However, it was Oscar Wilde who proposed (quite convincingly IMHO) the then radical thought that life imitates Art. He may well have included the sciences in that statement.

Oscar's premise was that it is not until an artist has captured and expressed the essential nature of life that it can be truly appreciated and utilised.

Thus it is only because an artist has captured the glory of a rising sun that the rest of us can see how glorious it is.

Sadly, too many artists from all areas of creative endeavour, don't quite get this mind expanding idea.

Thus it is only because an artist has captured the glory of a rising sun that the rest of us can see how glorious it is.

Sadly, too many artists from all areas of creative endeavour, don't quite get this mind expanding idea.

Sadly, that implies that we can see no value (beauty/glory) in anything unless we have a comparison against which to hold it. Much like the value of the dollar (har-de-har har) means nothing (how true) unless we compare it to the peso. In and of itself, there is no value to it.

I don't agree. There are many things I've seen, which I've never seen represented by any artist, which I can appreciate in and of itself, without the glory having been captured in advance.

However, it was Oscar Wilde who proposed (quite convincingly IMHO) the then radical thought that life imitates Art. He may well have included the sciences in that statement.

Oscar's premise was that it is not until an artist has captured and expressed the essential nature of life that it can be truly appreciated and utilised.

Thus it is only because an artist has captured the glory of a rising sun that the rest of us can see how glorious it is. -- Des

You don't believe this, do you? No one, since time immemorial, appreciated a sunrise or sunset until an artist depicted it? And, extrapolating, no one truly admired the naked male or female form until it was rendered in rock or dirt or on paper or canvas? The beauty of flowers wasn't noticed still someone created a still life of them? Or taking it a bit further, no one was astounded of the beauty of a mother humming a wholly personal lullaby while rocking her newborn until Brahms and his predecessors put the form on manuscript paper?

Perhaps artists have shown us different ways to contemplate beauty, perhaps they added to our senses in the same way spices have added depth to our meals, but I think early man had to have been as awed by the majesty of a triumphant sunset, shaken to the core by it in fact, to the same degree we are today.

C

In light of Trab's and Cole's replies, I feel it best to state the original quote of Oscar wilde is from his dialog, The Decay Of Lying

It may be helpful to read this before concluding that (to quote Wilde in full), Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life, is inaccurate or irrelevant.

So as to not further hijack this thread which is devoted to the excellent author, Dan Kirk, I am posting a new thread under Roaming Reader with this post and the link to Oscar Wilde's Decay of Lying. All further discussions on this matter should be made there.

Thank you :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Don't expect to see any new chapters for awhile. Dan won't be making any public postings for six months. That's all I will say.

Thanks for letting us know Jan. If it is at all possible, please let him know we are thinking of him and send our best wishes.

Sounds ominous, but I'm glad we were told about the hiatus. I hope all is okay. As Des says, we are sending out best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Dan has made a public statement, it can be revealed as to why he's not posting.

Dan: Due to disagreements between myself and others, there will be no further posting by me in public areas of Gay Authors for a period of 6 months from November 3rd, 2008. This includes stories. See you in May, 2009.

That's a shame, but is certainly understandable. GA has more than a few extremely disagreeable people that seem to go out of their way to piss people off. I probably haven't posted over there more than once or twice in the past year.

Maybe the Dude should extend an invitation to Dan to jump ship and become an AD hosted author!

Rick

While I would love to see Dan Kirk's incredible talent hosted at AD, I'm not sure we should interfere in what amounts to a family issue. He has said how long he is not posting there, which implies very much that he will be posting there again. Hopefully that hiatus from posting will help to resolve their issues. BUT, if after that time there is no resolution, it might be appropriate to then make such an offer. Just my opinion.

That's a shame, but is certainly understandable. GA has more than a few extremely disagreeable people that seem to go out of their way to piss people off.

Rick

This is exactly why I stayed out of the political forums over there.

While I would love to see Dan Kirk's incredible talent hosted at AD, I'm not sure we should interfere in what amounts to a family issue. He has said how long he is not posting there, which implies very much that he will be posting there again.

I think Dan and Myr would have to have a major falling out for Dan to leave GA. He's one of the big draws over there along with Dom Luka and Comicality, just to mention a couple.

Also, depending upon a few things, I may be taking a trip to DC in mid January to meet him and his partner Robert (Treb).