Where were you (& what did you do) when Obama won?

Rad

I was with my friends watching CNN election result. We were in this university dorm in Rostock, Germany.

We were from Indonesia, USA, Germany, Guatemala & Romania :icon11:

Played poker :wink: drank, ate & joked throughout the state-by-state election result announcement :aak[1]:

I mean, that was a night to remember.

Well, I was also perving on a german friend of mine. He's cute :lol: I kept getting view of his boxers from his low-hanging jeans :hehe: Okay so I stole a grope or two :wink:

Anyway, I will always remember this historic day. Where I was, what I did when Obama was elected and America is the better because of it :lol:

Where were you guys?

Cheers!

Rad

I was in a much better place (home in LA) than I was 4 years ago, when I was stuck in a bad hotel room in Italy, working on an HBO show.

Then, watching Bush win the election, was a really depressing day for me. My Italian co-workers were surprised when I told them that pretty much everybody I knew was against Bush and against the war, and we knew that being in Iraq was a lame idea.

While Obama getting elected is a historical event, my reaction is: "now what?" The man has got a huge amount of work to do over the next year or so. I just hope the economy turns around, because times are getting real tough out there.

Guest Brandon T.

I was writing my NaNo novel, thinking about how relieved I was that the election was over while fending off my mother's insults for ever having supported McCain. =/ It's a tough thing to be a Black guy in rural Alabama who doesn't support Barrack without exception. I voted for him, but did so with great reservation.

BUT. Yeah. I was between my kitchen the back porch, outlining, scribbling, and writing my novel, trying to keep on pace. At some point, there was apple juice being drunk, I think. Though don't quote me on that.

I had helped two local state representatives get reelected and one state senator get elected. It was mostly phone banking and I held a couple of fund raising receptions at my house. These three guys needed to get elected as they fully support the up coming civil union legislation coming up in January.

My partner, David, and I were invited to their election results watch in a suite in a local hotel. Well, of course I went because the food and wine was free. :icon11:

As we ate and drank, the room erupted with applause when the West Coast states closed their poles and the networks predictions were announced.

We left right after that because the local results were taking forever.

It was a good night, but I might have preferred to have been at the Luxor. I was there just 2 weeks ago, and by the end of THAT night I was up $ 5.00. I had to leave before I went negative.

I was at home, lounging on my nice comfy sofa, watching the returns come in in high definition.

Once it was clear President-elect Obama had locked it up, I popped the cork on an expensive bottle of French Champagne I'd been saving for something special, and toasted the America I served with most of my youth, the America I believe in*, and my hopes for our charismatic new president-elect.

Cheers!

Rick

*Note: The America I believe in is one where we live up to our ideals, not George Bush's twisted vision of an Imperial America with himself in the role of God-Emperor. 76 Days and counting!

We were in our dorm lounge with about 50 other people when MSNBC announced Obama as the winner. The room exploded into what I can only call ecstasy. We rushed out onto the campus and ended up at Sather Gate (the main entrance to the campus). There were thousands of students and non-students and we took over both Bancroft and Telegraph Avenues, and the police shut down both streets to automobile traffic.

I loved Barack Obama?s acceptance speech. I thought John McCain?s concession speech was excellent. I was dismayed when John McCain?s concession speech was interrupted by boos from his audience in Phoenix. He shushed them, but there were still boos later in his speech.

When we got back to the dorm and turned on the TV we watched the returns. At the Republican campaign headquarters in Irvine when Barack Obama?s acceptance speech was being broadcast, about a third of the way through the head of the state Republican party organization stepped up to the podium and announced ?That?s enough of that? and had it shut off to cheers from his audience. That's the kind of negativism that I hope we can leave behind, but I have my doubts. There's way too much hate!

What a fantastic point in history! For me to be alive when the first African American, a multi-racial American, won the Presidential election, and to be able to tell people that I voted for him in this election, my first time to vote for President, is amazing. It was so exciting, I'll never forget! This is a great moment, maybe even one of the defining moments, in U.S. history.

Colin :icon11:

Where was I? Where am I is relevant too. (It has already been determined what I am, thank you.)

I was in front of the computer. Let me explain, the Murdoch press practically runs the information side of what news items are available here in South Australia. (Murdoch owns Fox News). The only daily newspaper is his The Advertiser. The most common links on ISP home pages are ones to Murdoch's Adelaide Now web pages. These pages are used to feed automatic headlines to ISP's home pages. So far the headlines have not even announced who won the election, though we did have one which told of Obama's grandmother's death.

It isn't that the Adelaide Now site doesn't have a link to articles on the election on its own pages, just that the headlines syndicated to ISP's don't mention it. Frankly I am disgusted. Even more so when today, when we still have no link to the election, but do have a link to an article about prop 8 being successful.

So where was I? I was surfing the net trying to find some information on the results with my 64k slow connection. I found the best coverage on the BBC website, and thank the stars, on the ABC (Australian Broadcast Corporation) which had detailed state by state polling information as it came in.

I didn't win any money, but I couldn't help feeling like somebody had won the jackpot. Obama's acceptance speech had me enthralled.

I cheered. :icon11:

well, i was here in oslo (norway) glued to cnn on the television and chatting with friends in the usa on the computer. i am an expat who gave up his american citizenship many years ago, so i could not vote - however i have followed the election process closely. i am proud to see the homeland i was born in stepping up to the plate and electing to consider change for the better. as a person with black american background i do not have words to express my excitement at seeing that america and americans have come so far ... and i commend all of us who have worked for this - from the emancipation of slaves to civil rights to affirmative action to a black american president. i hope that america's new leadership receives the support, cooperation and patience that it needs from all in the usa and abroad. the challenges ahead are many, but with a foundation of hope and unity anything can be achieved.

• 2 weeks later...
I was writing my NaNo novel, thinking about how relieved I was that the election was over while fending off my mother's insults for ever having supported McCain. =/ It's a tough thing to be a Black guy in rural Alabama who doesn't support Barrack without exception. I voted for him, but did so with great reservation.

BUT. Yeah. I was between my kitchen the back porch, outlining, scribbling, and writing my novel, trying to keep on pace. At some point, there was apple juice being drunk, I think. Though don't quote me on that.

Asleep? Talon--he had 290 electoral college votes by 11:00pm California time....that would have been 2:00am eastern. That's one of the fastest elections I've ever heard of! :icon1:

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my room-mate's room, watching the results come in on PBS...I have a great deal of respect for Jim Lehrer, and so I was watching him announce results. It was a good night, marred only by the passage of Prop 8 in CA and the other two bits of garbage in AZ and FL.

It saddened me to see the overwhelming support that prop 8 received in the black community in CA, but I guess shit runs downhill. From oppressed to oppressor in one easy step...do I sound a little bitter? sorry.

cheers!

aj