AD Forum entries

I've got a general question for those who inhabit these murky waters.

When I'm making a forum entry and quoting from someone else's entry by hitting the quote button, what I get to work on is a screen pretty much like the one I'm writing on now: a black screen, and what I'm quoting, and the text I add, are both in white.

I have just heard that someone else works on a white screen when making entries, at least when he accesses the compositon area through using the quote button.

What I'd like to know is, do some people have a black screen to write on, some a white screen, and do we have some way to control this?

C

I've got a general question for those who inhabit these murky waters.

When I'm making a forum entry and quoting from someone else's entry by hitting the quote button, what I get to work on is a screen pretty much like the one I'm writing on now: a black screen, and what I'm quoting, and the text I add, are both in white.

I have just heard that someone else works on a white screen when making entries, at least when he accesses the compositon area through using the quote button.

What I'd like to know is, do some people have a black screen to write on, some a white screen, and do we have some way to control this?

C

I'm making this reply on the skin that is set up, meaning the different shades of gray with white font.

It might have something to do with the way the browser that someone is using processes the information it's reading.

I get a totally white box With my default browser text (navy).

You need to see what your default setting is.

1. MY CONTROLS (above)

2. Way down the list click BOARD SETTINGS

3. Select RICH TEXT editor

4. Also your browser must be set to "allow the site to override default settings" or things go to shite. (This should never be changed unless you have a handicap requiring your settings to override what the site selects.)

For me, reading the forum threads, I see various shades of grey with white text. But when I contribute to a thread, the box into which I enter my text is grey with white text only if I've clicked 'Fast Reply' to type my reply. If I click 'Add Reply' or 'Quote' or even 'New Topic' I get a page which contains a data entry box which is white, and the text I type into it is black. When I Click 'Post' or 'Add Reply' or whatever, to complete the data entry and upload my post, I return to the thread and lo and behold my text is white on a charcoal grey background.

Am I alone with this? I haven't changed the default skin for AD, and I get the same behaviour on five different computers and no matter whether I use Internet Explorer or Firefox.

The problem for me is when I want to include the post I'm responding to as a quote, and the original poster has chosen a colour other than default for his post, as Cole often does. When I'm entering my text, the quoted text if it's from Cole is cream on white, and completely invisible to me. I know it's there, and if I highlight it I can see it but it's a pain in the neck to work with.

The forum background color is by default a dark charcoal grey.

Monitor adjustments may be need to be brightened to see that correct shade, or perhaps the resolution needs adjusting.

The text box in which we type our posts should be black with white text.

After the recent upgrade, we had a problem with some of the text boxes and the colors, but that should now be fixed.

Bruin, I am not at sure why you are still seeing the text box as white with black text. That should not be happening.

I'll ask the man in blue. :hehe:

If you are using the 'rich text editor' - which you have to choose in 'my controls/board settings/Type of text editor to use when posting' then the background of the text box you type in is white, with the text in black.

If you are using the default settings for the board, then it's the 'standard editor' which has a dark grey background with white text.

I don't know that I can add much except to say that of the three browsers I have installed on my computer, only Safari renders the composition box as gray with white letters. Both Firefox 3 and IE 7 reverse the appearance by showing a white composition box with gray letters. I would add that I have tweaked both Firefox and IE to allow my settings to override page defaults, but only on font size. So far I have not bothered to change any setting on Safari, so it is still using its default settings. Anyhow, when I preview a reply it will appear as gray with white letters, but the composition box, still at the bottom of the preview, will remain white with gray letters.

I do remember when the reply composition box was a dark gray (could have been black I suppose, but looked more like dark gray to me) with white letters, but that was some time back and I don't remember it changing at the same time I set Firefox to override page default settings on font size.

If you are using the 'rich text editor' - which you have to choose in 'my controls/board settings/Type of text editor to use when posting' then the background of the text box you type in is white, with the text in black.

If you are using the default settings for the board, then it's the 'standard editor' which has a dark grey background with white text.

Bingo! Camy's right - I've tried it and if I set 'Standard Editor' I can enter text in white on grey background, while the setting I was using, 'Rich Text Editor' gives me black text on a white background.

Incidentally I'm having difficulty seeing what's so 'rich' about the 'rich text editor' - all the buttons to change font size, colour, attribute etc are there in the standard editor too. Only one button seems to disappear, and that's 'view HTML' which is useful - because I can remove the colour code from the text I'm quoting!!

Thanks Camy and everyone - I've learned a lot from this process.

You're still wrong though: the "black" on white is DEFAULT on white.

My default text colour is navy blue so I get "Navy Blue" on white.

Your results will vary depending on how much you change your browser default settings. But the correct answer is BROWSER DEFAULT FOREGROUND on WHITE. (The background doesn't use browser default because I've got pale grey as default background.)

This has been provided as a service of Orangutan Exterminators LLC

All my own settings are as per the install in the browser and I left most of the Forum control settings as found.

Of course his Wibbiness is correct in that if you have adjusted the defaults to some Raccoon like masked colorings then you may well find you have weird color combinations.

If you like I could see about getting my picture as a background for the text editor with Raccoon dropping fonts for the text, but I won't be able to do that if I am exterminated. However that shouldn't stop us from having the Raccoon fonts as we have a backlog of those stored in our shoes or between our toes.

Back-log :hehe:

I was pretty much understanding everything until the 'coon jumped in with his explanation and expertize. Then my mind went astray and I'm still trying to find it.

But thanks to Bruin and Camy, probably several people have been helped. Thanks to 'coon, my befuddlement is exacerbated.

It will probably always be so.

C