The First Day by Camy

Just one man's opinion, of course, but it does seem fiendishly unfair to see foreshadowing about slippering and caning, then not witness the acts, or see a description of the reddened buttocksthat makes one wince , or be able to read of the tender and soothing gestures when his mates to see to his injuries, both physical and mental.

It just seems a lot is being left on the table.

Such a great effort, Camy. Thanks so much!

C

'The First Day' was supposed to be a one off. That being said, I'll see if Neil can remember any more.

I would criticize you by saying the problem is, you set up too many interesting characters and situations without a payoff. You've got some interesting situations with some foreshadowing, and it begs for an ending. A short story should work as a standalone, and I don't think there's enough of an ending to give it a real sense of finality.

I think you can get a novel or at least a novella out of this, provided you figure out what the story is actually about. In other words, there has to be more to it than just the coming-of-age of a kid going to boarding school. I think this can be a lot more.

Do me a favor and let us know what the time frame is for the story, even if only in a subtle way. I saw no mention of pop culture, technology (iPods, cell phones, etc.), and it's hard to register for me when it's happening. For all I know it could be 1960 or 2000 or anywhere in between.

It's too good an idea to stop here. (That's a compliment, BTW.)

• 13 years later...

So pleased to find this in the Dude's Picks from the Past. How can I possibly have missed it first time around?

This is a story which delighted me, reminiscent of my own boarding school years. Why do these places still exist in the twenty-first century?!

Beautifully written by Camy, you'd never guess he was just putting stuff down to reach 50,000 words in the 30 days of November....! A real talent at work.

This was written long enough ago that I don't remember having read it, but as I commented on it at the time, I certainly had.  Wonderful piece of writing, but then, what piece has Camy written that isn't sublime?

There were a lot of suggestion that a follow-up be written.  Too bad there doesn't seem to be one.  I can understand that.  I've done very little myself in the way of sequels.  Muses don't always work that way.

Great story, Camy.

• Camy changed the title to The First Day by Camy