Names for Bad Boys

Do names make bad boys?

Be careful what name you choose for your characters.

From Bad Boy Names

Boys growing up with popular names such as Michael, Joshua and Christopher have a good chance of leading law-abiding lives.

But young men named Kareem, Walter or Ivan could run afoul of the law.

That's according to a recent US study that claims the more unpopular, uncommon or feminine a boy's first name, the greater the chance he will end up behind bars.

While Shippensburg University professor David Kalist's report in Social Science Quarterly shows that "unpopular names are likely not the cause of crime," he explains that factors often associated with those names can "increase the tendency toward juvenile delinquency."

Boys with unpopular, girlish or uncommon names often are ridiculed by peers, come from families of low socioeconomic status and face discrimination in the workforce based on a preconceived bias about their names, according to the study, which analysed more than 15,000 names.

Jay Corzine, chairman of the University of Central Florida's sociology department, said, "Some kids could have a name that leads to teasing and being picked on and, in return, that child could become aggressive with others."

Top 10 bad-boy names

Alec, Ernest, Garland, Ivan, Kareem, Luke, Malcolm, Preston, Tyrell, Walter.

Do names make bad boys?

Be careful what name you choose for your characters.

From Bad Boy Names

Boys growing up with popular names such as Michael, Joshua and Christopher have a good chance of leading law-abiding lives.

But young men named Kareem, Walter or Ivan could run afoul of the law.

That's according to a recent US study that claims the more unpopular, uncommon or feminine a boy's first name, the greater the chance he will end up behind bars.

While Shippensburg University professor David Kalist's report in Social Science Quarterly shows that "unpopular names are likely not the cause of crime," he explains that factors often associated with those names can "increase the tendency toward juvenile delinquency."

Boys with unpopular, girlish or uncommon names often are ridiculed by peers, come from families of low socioeconomic status and face discrimination in the workforce based on a preconceived bias about their names, according to the study, which analysed more than 15,000 names.

Jay Corzine, chairman of the University of Central Florida's sociology department, said, "Some kids could have a name that leads to teasing and being picked on and, in return, that child could become aggressive with others."

Top 10 bad-boy names

Garland? GARLAND?

I've lived a long time, and met lots and lots of people, and never once have I met, or even heard or read about, a Garland. I did know a Gaylord once. That's about as close as I get.

Garland? Are they suggesting it's common enough that they get a pattern of badness from it?

And how about Adolf? That name rings a deep gong in most of us.

Furthermore, I see absolutely nothing wrong with Alec, Ernest, Luke, Malcolm, Preston, Tyrell or Walter. Perfectly fine names. Ivan isn't that bad, either, and is probably a common name in Russia.

I think this researcher may have his head up his backside.

C

Yes Cole, Adolf was a blaring omission to me too.

The thing is that names have a relevancy to their times.

Thus, what maybe good in one era might attract exclamations of horror in another.

Then there is also a common underlying perception of names and their meanings as well.

Bryce, Bruce, Brian. Is there an odd name out in these three? Does Bryan work?

Or does Bryan just sit at home waiting for Bruce and Bryce to call?

If I were to pick a name which has prominently figured in my bad boy book it would have to be John.

But really it shouldn't be too difficult to see if there is a constant stream of given names that recur in the prison system, or who are CEOs. :hehe:

I went to high school in the 1970s with a somewhat-effeminate black kid named Garland. (I won't mention his last name, but I remember him well -- great guy, in the brass section of our band.)

Controversial radio talkshow host Howard Stern has often talked about how some names have fallen out of fashion because they were kind of corrupted by history or disasters. He claims in 1945, several thousand German kids changed their name from Adolf to something else. "Ruined the name 'Adolf' forever" as he put it.

I've thought about the problem of naming characters many times. To me, one key is to make the lead characters sound as different as possible from each other -- different vowels, different first consonants, even a different number of syllables if possible. But two similiar names -- "Jake" and "John," for example -- are too close and too confusing. "Jake" and "Michael"... no problem.

I read a story some time ago, and two of the lead characters had the same name; Peter, I think. Very confusing, however, much more realistic than most stories. In several years in high school, there were more than one person with the same name in my classes. 3 of Marilyn, 2 Peters, 2 Brians, and 2 Daves. As we had different classes, the combinations in any particular class ranged from no multiples to several. One teacher chose to use the formal method, using surnames, but with 2 Smiths, and 2 Browns, it wasn't much of an improvement.

My first name is Bart, and when I started school it was relatively unique, but the TV show Maverick took care of that. The use of Bart increased, and then The Simpsons put the final nail in my uniqueness of name. Nobody even blinks over it now.

For a while, and still somewhat ongoing here and there, was the idea of using natural things as first names. Rock, Apple, Peach, Snake, Sky, Raven, Blue, and others were very common. Thank goodness that has died down a bit. Very often one couldn't even tell gender from the name, which might be a good thing.

For many years, at least into the early 50s, and maybe still for all I know, the Dutch had a list of 'approved' names, and parents were NOT ALLOWED to pick a name for their child if it wasn't on the approved list. If they could prove a familial and historic record of a name in their family history, they could apply to have an exemption made.

I've decided that I'm rambling, and I'll just shut up now. :hehe:

And a delightful rambling it was too Trab. Do you know that your on screen nickname is your own name spelt backwards? :lol:

Surely having to adhere to a community list of approved names is a gross infringement of individual rights? What was the punishment for calling your child other than a approved name? I hope it was confiscation of the first born. :hehe:

Thanks, Des. I had NO IDEA that my screen name is my first name backwards. ROFLMAO :hehe::lol::stare:

It wasn't a punishment, just that you cannot register the kid's name on the birth certificate if it isn't an approved one.

My first name is Bart, and when I started school it was relatively unique, but the TV show Maverick took care of that. The use of Bart increased, and then The Simpsons put the final nail in my uniqueness of name. Nobody even blinks over it now.

For many years, at least into the early 50s, and maybe still for all I know, the Dutch had a list of 'approved' names, and parents were NOT ALLOWED to pick a name for their child if it wasn't on the approved list. If they could prove a familial and historic record of a name in their family history, they could apply to have an exemption made.

I've decided that I'm rambling, and I'll just shut up now. :wav:

Bart is not that special. :hehe: At least not in the Netherlands :lol:

My real first name is Harm. It has its origin in the north of the Netherlands. Rare in the south where I live, but not unknown. In English spoken countries however, it means something completely different. Always good for a laugh.... "Relax, its my name, I won't do you any." :lol:

I never use it on international fora for that reason. Talking about making bad boys because of "bad" names... :lol: (it is an abbreviation of Herman, by the way.)

I know about the list. It was still there in the early 60's. There was a problem with my sisters second name. Until they showed the birthcertificate of our grandmother. She was named after her.

But to be honest, sometimes it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-introduce it. I see names of new borns.... Stigmatised for life. :stare:

If I were to pick a name which has prominently figured in my bad boy book it would have to be John.

I agree, Des, definitely get the money up front. :hug:

We pay good money to these people to come up with this...baloney, Did anybody else notice that the list of things that supposedly go along with these names reads suspiciously like the time tested factors that DO make bad boys bad? Like discrimination and poverty, lack of education and therefore the access to a liveable wage? This may replace my long time favorite for the most insipid conclusion from acedemic/scientific reseach: "to reduce your risk of of heart disease, eat real food, get off your ass at least three times a week for 30 minutes, and and don't poison yourself". OK, we heard you the first time 30 years ago.

Haha, Garland? In my experience it didn't matter what your name was, there's a body part or function to go with every one of 'em. Kids are infinitely creative.

Tracy

dammit! a-c-a-d-e-m-i-c. I'm funny about handwriting, too. That is now a lost art. My kid writes like a doctor. How anyone could not care if they're understood is so far beyond me; in fact, it makes me crazy. There it is folks, the answer you've all been waiting for... :hug:

Hehe, and a lovely bit of hijacking, if I do say so myself.

T.

dammit! a-c-a-d-e-m-i-c. I'm funny about handwriting, too. That is now a lost art. My kid writes like a doctor. How anyone could not care if they're understood is so far beyond me; in fact, it makes me crazy. There it is folks, the answer you've all been waiting for... :hug:

Hehe, and a lovely bit of hijacking, if I do say so myself.

T.

Outstanding hijack Tracy...this thread will land in Cuba in 24 hours. :sneaky:

Kewl! Do we all get to go with it? Never been to Cuba. Maybe I should wait 'til the dicktater passes on. :hug:

I think maybe the name Rory should have been that list. That's the name of the guy that got ME here...

Tracy

My first impression of that article wasn't how flawed the researchers' reasoning is. It was, why would we all want common, normal-sounding names? If every boy was named John or James, for instance, where would the individuality go? Besides, how would you tell ten James-es apart? Numbers? Bah. (Oh hush, I can hear some of you thinking of fun ways to tell all those James-es apart. Could be fun trying....)

I've never met a Garland, but then, I've never met a Preston or a Walter, either. (Although I knew of Walter Cronkite, Walter Matthau, and Walter Koenig from TV/movies.)

How could Alec or Luke, among others, ever be a name unusual enough (by the article's criteria) to be a "bad boy name"?

-----

However, do readers or viewers have a preconceived notion, a tendency, to think a fictional character's name implies certain traits? Writers sometimes choose a character name to have some meaning, even if it just "sounds right" to the writer.

A common or uncommon name? Fine. Make it too strange, and you'd better have a good reason or have that as one of the things that makes your character unusual.

A name that has some meaning or relation to the character's personality? OK, unless it's too obvious. But if you're using the name and traits for humor within the story, fine.

If a name feels too contrived or self-consciously symbolic, ehhh, that might detract from the story, for me. ...Unless you really write around it well. ;)

Then again, my full legal name is pretty improbable, and look how I turned out....

Have we all forgotten the most famous Garland of all?

Judy

I saw this and started wondering just how Des was missing the point so badly, and then it occured to me what the problem was. Duh! He's from Downunder! Everything's turned around there! So while WE were all talking about FIRST NAMES, he got it all bollixed up, because he's upside down.

Makes perfect sense now!

:sad::wav::wav::wav::wav::wav::hehe::hehe:

C

How could Alec or Luke, among others, ever be a name unusual enough (by the article's criteria) to be a "bad boy name"?

Don't confuse data and interpretation :sad:

The original article reported on the first names of people from the justice system. That's hard raw data, and they found certain first names to be occurring more frequently than others.

They then postulated that it was because they were unusual names, or names that prompted bullying/teasing from the child's peers. This theory may or may not have a basis in truth (I can see the possibility for some of the names, but I agree that it's a stretch for the example you've given).

The other thing to consider is that names are regional in nature. As an example, the name Graeme is a lot more common here in Australia than I believe it is in the USA. Graeme isn't a name that provokes teasing in Australia, but it may very will in the USA. Thus, this sort of research needs to be correlated with name frequencies in the region where they are doing their study.

The name Graeme is a lot more common here in Australia than I believe it is in the USA. Graeme isn't a name that provokes teasing in Australia, but it may very will in the USA.

Not only is it not popular here, I've never seen it. I have, however, seen a variation of it, Graham, and while that isn't exactly common, it's also not terribly rare. I've personally known two people with that name. One of them stoically bore the nickname Cracker.

C

• 2 months later...

I'd never seen "Graeme" until I saw a certain online writer friend's name.

"Graham" isn't too common here, but isn't unheard of.

In the US, at least, there are those tasty graham crackers, thus any Graham (or Graeme) would tend to get an unwelcome nickname. -- Funny, I'll bet none of those name-calling kids think about how they're unwittingly calling a boy tasty, good taste, and...well, I do believe I probably gave away a story idea just then.

I'm so not saying my real first name. Ben (actually Benjamin) is my middle name and the name I go by. Boy, does that cause paperwork difficulties.