What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

I have an announcement. It's kinda important as it's going to change my life forever. Last week, David and I received our final license as Treatment Foster Care Parents. 'Treatment' means the kids have issues. The license is one step above regular Foster Care parents. It took 9 months of classes, background checks, home inspections and even psychological evaluations. (Boy! Do we have them fooled icon_rolleyes.gif )

Seriously though, I am so excited to be able to help and possibly make a difference in some teenager's life. They could place someone in my home as early as next week. WOHOOOOOOOOOOT!

My schedule is sure going to change!

I'm just so proud of you Richard. I'd give you a hug if I could. I might be driving that way soon. I'll look you up then, and the hug will be for real.

That's just wonderful that you'd do that. Your heart, and your partner's, are both in the right place.

Best of luck. Kids can be loving and a real handful at the same time.

I wish you well. And, take notes!

C

I cannot think of a more worthwhile way to use your abilities and resources than in the care of children, and especially children with problems, helping them to put their lives back together after bad experience. You will no doubt have both successes and setbacks but your efforts will always be worthwhile and you will be a beacon of hope in a world where all too often such lights have been switched off to save money(!)

I feel a complete fraud, pontificating thusly, especially since my latest story is about a foster parent, and I know next to nothing about it, and have therefore taken the liberty of omitting all the vetting, paperwork, etc from the story, and so allowing the reader to think it's all plain sailing!

You and David are real heroes and I'm in awe. May your power never fade, and your chimney always smoke.

:sad:

:wav:

Congratulations and good luck!

After observing my brother with his two kids (a 6-year-old boy and a rabid 4-year-old girl), my advice is a) lots of Xanax and b) lots of aspirin. You'll need both! :sad:

Pecman: "rabid girl". :icon_twisted: You really don't like females, do you?

BTW, they are taking on teenagers, not little kids. They will need much more powerful pain killers and anxiety meds. *Just joking.

I think what they'll need more that anything else is patience, love and a strength to hold true to their values. All three of those qualities will be tested to the edge of their endurance.

Or, perhaps they'll get someone(s) who simply need the love and structure and security they've missed, and will respond well.

What we know for sure is this is a great adventure they're embarking upon, and as with all adventures, it will be filled with unforeseen happenstances, and they will deal with them the best they can, given the circumstances.

We all wish for updates!

C

I think what they'll need more that anything else is patience, love and a strength to hold true to their values. All three of those qualities will be tested to the edge of their endurance.

Or, perhaps they'll get someone(s) who simply need the love and structure and security they've missed, and will respond well.

What we know for sure is this is a great adventure they're embarking upon, and as with all adventures, it will be filled with unforeseen happenstances, and they will deal with them the best they can, given the circumstances.

We all wish for updates!

C

Hmmm, perhaps Richard might start a blog of the events of his new life experiences.

Of course we understand it has to fit into that new schedule.

:icon_twisted:

I admire both of you for being willing to put yourselves 'out there' for these kids. From my experience, most of them are where they are because no one in their lives cared. It probably won't be easy at first but I know you and David will make a difference. Once they know you are 'for real' and that you actually do care about them, I'm sure you will see some remarkable changes. I did with the kids I cared for over the years.

I even learned a few things from them as well--like my 455 Trans Am could do 267 kph or about 167 mph, but that's another story.

I really wish you all the best, but I know you and David will work wonders in turning their lives around.

:icon_twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

Well ladies, gentlemen and others. It happened today. I got a call this afternoon from the foster care agency that we're dealing with and they want me to look at a possible placement in my home. OMG. I'm not sure if I was mentally prepared for it to ACTUALLY happen. I was a nervous wreck the rest of the afternoon. So I pick up David after his work, and explain where we're headed. Geez, he was more nervous than I was. And we head over to the agency. There they brought us into a conference room and started telling us about this kid. His name is Dustin and he's 11 years old. I can't tell you why he's in foster care or any of his background, or health as that's strictly held confidential, but our hearts went out to this kid. David and I talked briefly and accepted him (They gave us that choice).

Then they proceed to tell us that things have changed since our afternoon phone call and that he's become an emergency case. "Would we take him tonight," they asked. The first thing I asked myself was, 'Am I ready?' Then I felt so stupid and realized that this wasn't about me; this was about Dustin. David looked at me and nodded his head and I knew that he had just had that same internal conversation. We both said 'Yes' simultaneously.

Well, Dustin is now in my home. He's asleep right now as he has school tomorrow, which I'll be driving him to as I need to talk to his principal and teachers.

I can't tell you all what a wonderful kid he is. Yes he has issues, but...and here I wish I could tell you all about it, but, again, there are confidentiality issues.

I'm definitely going to start a blog about this experience. Right now I'm on an emotional high, that my dreams of 'making a difference' are coming true.

I won't use this tread anymore for future comments, but put them in a blog.

You have no idea how happy I am for you and David right now.

It's scary, but a good kind of scary.

Dustin is a very lucky boy to have the two of you in his life.

All my love to all three of you.

Grant

The first thing I asked myself was, 'Am I ready.' Then I felt so stupid and realized that this wasn't about me; this was about Dustin.

The above statements are proof that you are indeed ready, Richard. You will do just fine.

My best wishes and thoughts to all three of you. :icon_twisted: