Gay asylum seekers win appeal

Camy

Gay asylum seekers from Iran and Cameroon win appeal

Two gay men who said they faced persecution in their home countries have the right to asylum in the UK, the Supreme Court has ruled.

The panel of judges said it had agreed "unanimously" to allow the appeals from the men, from Cameroon and Iran.

They had earlier been refused asylum on the grounds they could hide their sexuality by behaving discreetly.

Home Secretary Theresa May said the judgement vindicated the coalition government's stance.

Under the previous government the Home Office had contested the case, saying it had taken sexuality into account when making its decisions.

MORE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10180564.stm

'Male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates' - Lord Rodger, summing up in the trial.

Quote from The Independent

A judge with a sense of humour? Whatever next?! :hehe:

I wish I could hear him say this. Is he speaking scathingly? Wistfully? Longingly? Wryly? One can't tell from the quote, and the tone means all.

Not being able to tell, and so having to decide for myself on scant information, I'll choose Longingly.

C

To my mind, or what's left of it, I think the good judge is speaking with a sense of irony, tongue in cheek, but in a way that is making a very valid point of equality.

More importantly, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find this judgement being used to support same sex marriage. :wink: