The Tourney, by Cole Parker

Merkin

This is a wonderful story, written by a master.  As soon as I finished reading it, I read it all again.  Although I know nothing about the game of golf I do know about determination and commitment and purity of the heart, and this story has all that.  I am so glad it is here for us on  Awesome Dude.  It deserves also to be in some major print publication.

By almost only talking about how he works on his skills to get better in the game, you feel, and know, how Adam works to make his circumstances better.

It's a story where you just know for sure that he will have a wonderfull life ahead. 

With Freddy, i hope. 🙂 

Thank you Cole, for another great read!

Merkin pretty much took the words right out of my mouth… or fingers anyway. I too could care less about golf, but as seen through Adam’s experience, the sport comes alive. The first time I read the story through, I thought of Adam as being black, but then I went back  and reread the story immediately and since he referred to the family that took him in as black, it’s obvious he isn’t. Talk about stereotypical thinking! In any case, I loved the way Cole took us inside Adam’s head, with his innate intelligence and remarkable resilience. This was storytelling at its best.

I’m not sure if either boy is ready for a long-term relationship just yet, but given the trouble Freddie went to to be Adam’s roommate, even choosing his university to be with him, I certainly think Freddie has forever in mind. From his comments, it’s obvious he’s put a lot of effort into researching Adam’s background - evidently more than what was in the newspapers. He may have developed a crush during the championship game, but it’s obviously become more of an obsession since then. Hopefully a healthy one. I’d love to get to know Freddie a bit better and would love to see a story based on his backstory (hint, hint).

I’m curious about what and where this university is located. At first I thought Cole might be using U.C. Davis as his model, but Davis has an undergraduate enrollment of nearly 32k. Not many states are large enough to support five public universities that all have decent golf programs, and not many public universities are so highly regarded, particularly with the restriction of being located in a suburb of the state capital. I mean, SUNY Stony Brook is renowned and it’s in the right size range but it’s on Long Island. SUNY Albany is in a suburb of the state capitol, but it isn’t as large and it doesn’t exactly have the same reputation. Ohio State is way too large, as is the University of Illinois, which is near the state capitol but not exactly in a suburb of it. University of Wisconsin and Michigan State are too big.  So’s Georgia Tech and Texas A&M, which has nearly 60k students - yikes! The University of Kentucky might work - it’s exactly the right size, although the setting’s more urban than suburban. Hmm…

Anyway, this was definitely one of Cole’s best not-so-short stories.

Thanks, Steve.  Much appreciated.  That's not a bad idea, letting Freddy's backstory evolve.  I'm sort of burned out writing at the moment, but that will probably pass.  That's certainly something to think about.

As to where the college is located, your analysis may have come up just a bit short:

Colleges Located in or around State Capitals

State

Capital

Colleges

Alabama

Montgomery

Alabama State University, Amridge U, Auburn U- Montgomery, Faulkner U, Huntingdon Coll, Troy U- Montgomery

Alaska

Juneau

University of Alaska-Southeast

Arizona

Phoenix

ASU - Phoenix Campus, Grand Canyon U

Arkansas

Little Rock

Arkansas Baptist Coll, Philander Smith Coll, U of Arkansas- Little Rock, U of Central Arkansas, Hendrix College

California

Sacramento

Cal State U- Sacramento, UC-Davis

Colorado

Denver

University of Denver, University of Colorado-Denver, Regis U, Johnson & Wales U, Colorado Heights U, Art Inst of Colorado

Connecticut

Hartford

St. Joseph College, University of Hartford, Trinity College

Delaware

Dover

Delaware State U, Wesley College

Florida

Tallahassee

Florida A&M U, Florida State U

Georgia

Atlanta

American Intercontinental U, Art Institute of Atlanta, Beulah Heights U, Clark Atlanta U, Emory, Georgia Tech, Georgia St. U, Morehouse Coll, Morris Brown Coll, Oglethorpe U, Spellman Coll

Hawaii

Honolulu

Chaminade U, Hawaii Pacific University, University of Hawaii-Manoa

Idaho

Boise

Boise State U, College of Idaho

Illinois

Springfield

University of IL- Springfield, St. John's College of Nursing

Indiana

Indianapolis

Butler U, IUPUI, Marian U, Martin U, U of Indianapolis

Iowa

Des Moines

Drake U, Grand View U

Kansas

Topeka

Washburn U

Kentucky

Frankfort

Kentucky St. U, Georgetown College

Louisiana

Baton Rouge

LSU- Baton Rouge, Southern U and A&M College

Maine

Augusta

University of Maine- Augusta

Maryland

Annapolis

St. John's College, US Naval Academy

Maryland

DC

American U, Catholic U, George Washington U, Georgetown, Howard U, Trinity Washington U, U of the Potomac

Massachusetts

Boston

Berklee College of Music, Boston Conservatory, Boston U, Emerson College, Emmanual College, Fisher College, Mass College of Art & Design, Mass College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, New England Conservatory of Music, Northeastern U, Simmons College, Suffolk College, UMass-Boston, Wentworth Inst of Tech, Wheelock Coll

Michigan

Lansing

Michigan State University (East Lansing)

Minnesota

Saint Paul

Bethel U, Concordia U- St. Paul, Hamline U, Macalester Coll, St. Catherine U, U of St. Thomas

Mississippi

Jackson

Belhaven Coll, Jackson St. U, Milsaps College, Univ of Mississippi Medical Center

Missouri

Jefferson City

Lincoln U

Montana

Helena

Carroll College

Nebraska

Lincoln

University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Union College, Nebraska Wesleyan U

Nevada

Carson City

Sierra Nevada College

New Hampshire

Concord

Granite State College

New Jersey

Trenton

Thomas Edison St. University, Rider University, College of New Jersey

New Mexico

Santa Fe

St. John's College, Santa Fe U of Art & Design

New York

Albany

SUNY-Albany, Excelsior College, The Coll of St. Rose, Albany College of Pharmacy

North Carolina

Raleigh

UNC Chapel Hill, Duke U, North Carolina Central U

North Dakota

Bismarck

University of Mary

Ohio

Columbus

Ohio State U, Ohio Domincan U, Franklin U, Columbus Coll of Art & Design, Capital U

Oklahoma

Oklahoma City

Randall U, Mid-American Christian U, Oklahoma Christian U, Oklahoma City U

Oregon

Salem

Willamette U, Corban U

Pennsylvania

Harrisburg

Penn State - Harrisburg, Central Penn College, Dickinson College

Rhode Island

Providence

Brown U, Johnson & Wales, Providence Coll, Rhode Island Coll, Rhode Island School of Design

South Carolina

Columbia

University of South Carolina, Columbia College, Benedict Coll, Allen U

South Dakota

Pierre

n/a

Tennessee

Nashville

Vanderbilt, Tennessee State U, Lipscomb U, Fisk U, Belmont U, Aquinas Coll, American Baptist Coll

Texas

Austin

UT-Austin, St. Edward's U, Concordia U, Southwestern U

Utah

Salt Lake City

U of Utah, Westminster Coll

Vermont

Montpelier

Norwich U

Virginia

Richmond

University of Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth U, Virginia Union U, Randolph-Macon Coll

Washington

Olympia

Evergreen State College

West Virginia

Charleston

U of Charleston, West Virginia St U, West Virginia, U of Inst of Tech

Wisconsin

Madison

University of Wisconsin- Madison, Edgewood College

Wyoming

Cheyenne

n/a

How many of these have golf teams?  I have no idea.

That’s quite a list, Cole, but you specified in the story that it was one of five state universities that participated in the U-18 scholarship program. Your list would be considerably shorter if you list only the state universities. Perhaps 90% shorter. Further, you state that it’s prestigious and is considered to have one of the top five golf programs in the U.S. The coach is an ex-pro and there are six graduates currently on tour in the PGA.

So you have a state university in a large enough state to have five state universities with golf programs. It’s prestigious enough to be well-known, if not one of the public ivys and when it comes to golf, it’s among the best of the best. It’s moderate in size (22k undergrads) and in a suburb of a state capital city. You didn’t allow much wiggle room, but then this is fiction, after all. That said, UNC Chapel Hill is a near-perfect match!

Finally got an opportunity to read this story.  

I had a brief brush with golf a number of years ago, and even took some lessons, but never got to be good enough to enjoy it.  But I learned enough to be able to follow the technical talk in the story.

I was fascinated by the last green seeming to be sloped when it was actually flat.  Putting was the only thing I could do even half-decently, and no doubt that green would have been a challenge for me.  Or perhaps not, since I knew so little I might not have proceeded with calculations based on the appearance of a slope that a more experienced golfer might have performed.  Who knows?  As for driving, I could throw the ball much further than I could make it go with a club. I was useless with a driver or wood.

Fun story.  And now I see there's another one posted.  Not sure when I can get to that one!!