Irony-An Apology

It has been pointed out to me on numerous occasions throughout my life that I tend to preach civility in an uncivil way, tolerance intolerantly, and respect disrespectfully. I am sometimes unwilling to let an issue go and turn something that isn't terribly important in the great scheme of things into a question rivaling the great issues of life and existence. I want friends and yet push them away with my stridency. I was rude in the recent Nifty thread and I am certain I offended a great many of you. I have probably done so in other threads. I make no excuses. It is not my intention, but it is what I do. It is much easier for me to deal with the world I create in my stories than with the real world and perhaps that is where I should concentrate my efforts. I don't want to be disruptive to the wonderful community you people have built here over the years. When I post, I will try to limit myself to less controversial topics and write with more respect, tolerance, and civility. As I've written in the past, I am amazed that I was invited to submit my stories on Awesome Dude when there are far, far more talented writers here than I and it is rude and disrespectful for me to presume to march in here after a six year absence and tell you how you should be doing things.

Please accept my apologies.

Don't worry about it. It seems you speak your mind and don't pull any punches. Stand up for what you believe in but leave the soap box at home next time. Your posts are passionate and say what you believe in. There is no fault in that.

You want to get me cranky, talk bad about my truck or Jeep. :hehe:

It has been pointed out to me on numerous occasions throughout my life that I tend to preach civility in an uncivil way, tolerance intolerantly, and respect disrespectfully.

No apologies necessary! You're just stating an opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've never found your comments to be offensive in any way. Say what you want.

I think as long as people can act civil, and keep the personal comments to a minimum, there's no problem.

A bit risky this, but, I almost ( I didn't though) suggested you lay a concrete pad at the bottom of your garden, park the jeep on it, and use it as a garden shed.

Come on, Rick. You know that kind of garden shed is made from Hummers, not Jeeps.

Colin :icon_geek:

My grandmother was fond of reminding me, "A day in which you don't piss someone off, isn't a day worth living." Of course, the list of people I want to piss off includes no one here, and my existence is enough to piss some people off, which reduces the effort considerably. I agree with Lug that climate change is amiss.

Cole, it's all down to scale. The last ice age was only 10,000 years ago - a blink of an eye in the planetary scheme of things, but a vast amount of time as far as humans are concerned. Yet humans have done a lot to damage the place: carpeted it with asphalt which damages the water table; built sprawling cities and spewed vast tonnages of gasses into the atmosphere and chemicals into the seas ... etc, etc. And this is not touching on the sensitive issue of severe and imminent over population and consequent starvation.

My own personal view is that it's now fairly obvious we're responsible for the global climate changes. Yet some, who probably also believe the place was built in 7 days by a chap on a cloud, deny it.

I attended a series of seminars a few years ago at Cal Tech, one of the nation's preeminent technical schools. One talk centered on global warming. They didn't bother with the then widespread political debate. They showed technical data and photos that made it quite clear that profound changes in our seas and the ozone layer were afoot. They showed explanations for these changes, and while they said ice ages do come and go naturally, the confluence of man-made gasses, population explosion, timber cutting and a number of other things all on a grand scale had all affected these changes. They gave numbers and data that, if not proving this to be true, certainly supported the conjecture.

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, but know he used to rail against the very idea of global warming as both silly and a conspiracy. I wonder if he's still saying that?

C

Can anyone explain to me why, if all that ice is melting, and the water is redistributing itself such that coastal cities around the globe must worry about higher seas, the earth's balance isn't being disturbed?

C

Well, it is. But when you say "balance" are you talking about the climate or are you talking about the actual weight distribution of the ice/water to other places on the globe? If the latter, then the tiny percentage of mass as compared to the earth's mass is not significant enough to make a change. Also, the Arctic ice-cap is already in/part of the ocean, so melting doesn't have nearly the same effect as ice on land melting and going back into the ocean. That's why the Greenand ice-sheet's ongoing disappearance is such a concern.

If the former, well, we're seeing the effects of that now.

I have a cousin who lives in the L.A. area (Orange County). He and his wife each have their own Hummer. Whenever I see him I grin and ask how many gallons per mile he's getting. He says he gets 13 miles per gallon.

Hummers have been on the outs for at least 5 years in LA. I think even rich conservatives know better than to drive a car like that. Sales are way off on giant, gross cars like that. I've never seen more hybrids on the road than I have in the last year (and my partner and I drive a Prius, so we're totally P.C.).

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid which I love. I buy gas maybe once every five or six weeks. That also shows that I don't drive that much. I use public transit a lot, easy to do here in the Bay Area (though the AC Transit bus service in Berkeley mostly sucks).