Job Perks

One of the many perks of the job are the many wounds I get, be it cuts, burns or smashing digets. I hit a new high a couple days ago triming a bumper to fit bigger tires when the blade slipped. It actually looked worse than the pic shows.

Ahh, life of a wrencher.

DSC01325.jpg

I got a tetanus shot when I was a kid. Been keeping it covered and closed up and it's coming back together nicely. After getting the cut cleaned and a few band aids on it along with a splint to keep from flexing that finger, I went back to trimming and on to the rest of the day. Electrical tape works well. Improvise.

That was why I asked as I know many people do not keep the tetanus shots up to date. Last time I spoke to my doctor he said people who work in gardens or with machinery should have a shot every 5 years. There is usually no side effects to the injection which is small, the doc likes to tell me it is just a tiny prick.

It shouldn't be expensive, but our emergency room made no charge last time I had one.

Here is link to a tetanus fact sheet. Please read, tetanus is not something to be indifferent about.

The fact sheet I have linked is from New South Wales, but should give you a good idea about the disease and how to avoid an extended painful period in a hospital intensive care unit if you live that long.

Band aids and time. This was 2 days ago. It's healing nicely. Any swelling has gone almost away. There was the time 10 years ago when I was using a cut off wheel for cutting metal and I was holding a small part in my hand when it skipped and went across my palm. Cut and cauterized in one pass. I smashed various fingers, cut and burned many times. Deal with it and move on.

Lug, you didn't read that fact sheet did you?

The disease usually occurs after an incubation period of 3 to 21 days (range one day to several months).

Clostridium tetani bacteria are found in dust and animal faeces. Infection may occur after minor injury (sometimes unnoticed punctures to the skin that are contaminated with soil, dust or manure) or after major injuries such as open fractures, dirty or deep penetrating wounds, and burns. Tetanus is not passed on from one person to another.

Treatment may include antitoxin, antibiotics, surgical treatment of the infected area and prolonged treatment in the intensive care unit of a hospital.

Thank you. Now please get the shot, or at least get a doctor to assess the wound for you. We're only thinking of your best interests, isn't that right Camy?

:hug:

Pfft. They would take a look at me and trip over themselves running the other direction.

Don't put yourself down Lug, that's our job.

I used to think no one would want to go to bed with a redhead when I was a teen. Boy, was I ever wrong about that!

Now that I'm a fully grown orangutan my husband refuses to leave me alone in case I start enjoying life again, or so it seems...

Lug, I see I must repeat myself. If this doesn't get infected, which it still may, that still is no reason not to have the shot. You'll be injured again. Your history of bumbliing around that you just gave us proves that. So, if the shot isn't needed this time, it well may be the next time.

What, you're not afraid of a little prick, are you?

C

Tetanus isn't an infection like a cut that gets swollen and red and oozes ugly yellow puss. It's carried by the blood, and the incubation period can be as long as several months. Infection generally occurs through wound contamination and often involves a cut or deep puncture wound. As the infection progresses, muscle spasms develop in the jaw (thus the name "lockjaw") and elsewhere in the body. Prolonged muscular action causes sudden, powerful, and painful contractions of muscle groups. This is called tetany. These episodes can cause fractures and muscle tears. Other symptoms include drooling, excessive sweating, fever, hand or foot spasms, irritability, swallowing difficulty, uncontrolled urination or defecation. (Lovely, 'eh?) Spasms continue for up to 4 weeks, and complete recovery may take months. The highest mortality rates are in unvaccinated people and people over 60 years of age or newborns. In recent years, approximately 11% of reported tetanus cases have been fatal.

So get your sorry butt down to the clinic and get your f***ing tetanus shot NOW. Don't be a baby. Don't die on us. :spank: Hear?

Colin :icon_geek:

You don't need a doctor for a tetanus shot. About 12 years ago I had a tetanus shot at a pupblic health office (I didn't want to pay $50 for the doctor office visit). The cost for the shot was $8.00. They also offer the shot at some Walgreens (where they have the in-house clinic), though I'm sure it costs more there.

Ed