Breaking News!

I was once, for a two week period, twist champion of my high school.

1960 or 1962? "The Twist" is the only song in Billboard chart history to hit #1 in two different years.

I'm old enough to remember The Twist (and my parents and relatives lamely trying to do the dance), but not to compete as champion.

I remember watching my parents do the Limbo in our living room with friends of their's, which could probably go a long way in explaining a lot of my problems later in life! :confused: "How low can you goooooo!"

1960 or 1962? "The Twist" is the only song in Billboard chart history to hit #1 in two different years.

I'm old enough to remember The Twist (and my parents and relatives lamely trying to do the dance), but not to compete as champion.

The story of my championship is indeed a sordid one. My college campus was the kind where, once the 1960 Twist craze hit, it never abated. I picked up Twist skills (along with chugging skills) during my various attempts to avoid studying, and, when the Twist peaked again in '62, I was set. When I attended my one and only high school reunion back home in my small town, I decided to show the locals what a Twist King was made of. I easily overcame the competition, and still reign on in local lore as the previously invisible high school nerd whose photo made the front page of the town paper.

Wow! King of the Twist. I have bad memories of it, myself. I was never a dancer. I was coordinated enough for sports of sorts, but somehow that never translated into grace on the dance floor. I do remember trying the Twist. I mean, look at it! Nothing to it. Easy peasey, right? Nope. Not really. And if you can't do it well, you end up looking like a fool.

Which is where I'm afraid I came in. So, hats off to James.

I always thought he was a bit twisted.

C