Clocks

Got to wait a bit in the UK, 30th March.

There is an absolutely stupid (in my opinion) campaign for permanent Summer time, and a Government investigation has just started on the idea of using Summer time in the Winter, and double Summer time in the Summer. That would make us the same as much of Europe.

I've written to my MP (member of parliament) on the matter before, and if it comes up for a vote later, I'll remind my MP that if she votes for it - she loses my vote for all time.

It might not be a bad idea to make Daylight Savings Time a year-round thing. With the incidence of seasonal depression so high in the winter and because the sun sets so early November through January, particularly the further north you go--or south May throiugh July in Aussieland, the nights last longer, perhaps this would be a way of combating the winter blues. I like having extra sunlight in the evening. It seems counter-intuitive to me to have DST in the summer, when the sun is already setting later. You need the light more in winter. Of course, the kids would be going to school before sunrise, which is unpleasant and possibly unsafe.

... Of course, the kids would be going to school before sunrise, which is unpleasant and possibly unsafe.

What's up with that, anyway? The kids have to slog out to their school bus stops in the dark and the cold as it is, anyway, Why can't schools start later? Why can't teenagers get the sleep they need? We aren't tied to an agricultural schedule anymore.

It's been well researched that teenagers perform at much higher levels if they can get up later in the morning. For some reason, they operate on a different clock than adults. If they could have schools that run from ten in the morning to four or five in the afternoon, they'd do much better. Noon to seven would be even better.

I've been told the main reason this isn't done is because teachers don't want to work those hours. Adults don't mind going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. Teens do.

C

Growing up in Indiana, I wasn't fond of Daylight Saving Time. What kid wants to go to bed at 9:30 pm when the sun is still out? It's taken me a long time to get used to the sun setting at 4:30 pm on the east coast compared to 5:30 pm in the mid-west during the winter.

Surprisingly, my two atomic clocks both changed this time. Last year, it took them a week to get the correct signal to change.

BTW, last week on the news, they kept saying it is Daylight Saving Time and not Daylight Savings Time. We're supposedly saving time.

BTW, last week on the news, they kept saying it is Daylight Saving Time and not Daylight Savings Time. We're supposedly saving time.

I believe they should call it Daylight Losing Sleep, because that's what really happens to us.

Got to wait a bit in the UK, 30th March.

There is an absolutely stupid (in my opinion) campaign for permanent Summer time, and a Government investigation has just started on the idea of using Summer time in the Winter, and double Summer time in the Summer. That would make us the same as much of Europe.

I've written to my MP (member of parliament) on the matter before, and if it comes up for a vote later, I'll remind my MP that if she votes for it - she loses my vote for all time.

I'm sure we had that back in the 1960s or was it the 70s sometime, it didn't work then.

I'm sure we had that back in the 1960s or was it the 70s sometime, it didn't work then.

We sort of did. They experimented with permanent British Summer Time. We all got armbands to walk to school in the dark, and in case anyone wonders - I was only 20 miles north of London. Glasgow would not have had sunrise until 10.

The experiment was judged a failure and cut short. It ran from October 68 to October 71, four years, but originally planned for five years.