Private Romeo

dude

Yes... Romeo and Juliet acted out by a troop of young male soldiers... I wonder who woke up one day and thought 'that would work!'.

Actually, I think it worked quite well. Much of the acting was quite good and the attractive young men playing cadets at a military-oriented boarding high school, not soldiers, were a way of translating the Bard's prose into something modern young people could relate to.

Netflix, along with raising their monthly rate by a US dollar, has added many more selections of gay-genre movies making it affordable to keep up with gay themed titles. If you live in the UK and the titles aren't available in your local Netflix selections, you can always connect with your same credentials through a vpn server in the US. I regularly watch UK selections by doing the same in reverse. Suffice it to say, I have no financial interest in Netflix nor in other gay story sites but I like to share information about stuff I enjoy with my recommendations.

You are all free to do the same.

Mike

I have recently begun exploring Netflix, have a trial subscription at the moment. Here the price has gone up £1 which equates to about $1.65. So the new monthly subscription is $11.81 - I think that's substantially more than the US subscription, another example of rip-off Britain.

I admit I struggled to appreciate Private Romeo as much as it no doubt deserves.

There are however loads of gay-themed movies which may now be available on Netflix that I consider brilliant. Many of them are foreign with English subtitles:

Four More Years

Patrik age 1.5

A love to hide

Coffee Date

Clapham Junction

- just off the top of my head - there are loads more of course!

The Netflix subscription has just gone up to $8.99 per month for new subscribers in the US. That's a bit less than the UK price. My service will remain at $7.99 for two more years as I've been subscribed for some time.

Considering how much many pay for Satellite or Cable TV in the United States, Netflix is quite a bargain, considering the endless commercial advertisements you have to endure on satellite and cable.

I limit my broadcast television watching to a few news programs a week and receive a high quality digital signal off the air mostly from PBS. My ADSL Internet connection provides all the bandwidth I need to watch buffering-free Netflix, YouTube and BBC iPlayer reception (via a VPN-incorporated router.) Needless to say I don't follow professional sports.

I am happy with the programming available to me free off air on the net or very inexpensively with Netflix. I refuse to have anything or anyone in my home -at this point in my life- that I don't want and that includes commercial television.

Guess that makes me a curmudgeon.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, I think it worked quite well. Much of the acting was quite good and the attractive young men playing cadets at a military-oriented boarding high school, not soldiers, were a way of translating the Bard's prose into something modern young people could relate to.

High school? They all look like they're 30!

Movies & TV shows drive me crazy when they cast actors much, much older for the parts than they should be. I always roll my eyes when I see a "teenage" show on CW or Fox where 90% of the cast is at least 27 or 28. (I'm reminded of the movie Grease, where Stockard Channing played an 18 year old girl and was 32 at the time.)

I think there's a way to make this idea work, but based on the trailer this looks like a cheap, cheap, threadbare production. Movies like this are not cheap or easy to produce, and it's gotta look better than something slightly above the level of a student film. (And by that I would mean college students in their mid-20s.)

High school? They all look like they're 30!

Movies & TV shows drive me crazy when they cast actors much, much older for the parts than they should be. I always roll my eyes when I see a "teenage" show on CW or Fox where 90% of the cast is at least 27 or 28. (I'm reminded of the movie Grease, where Stockard Channing played an 18 year old girl and was 32 at the time.)

I think there's a way to make this idea work, but based on the trailer this looks like a cheap, cheap, threadbare production. Movies like this are not cheap or easy to produce, and it's gotta look better than something slightly above the level of a student film. (And by that I would mean college students in their mid-20s.)

I agree!

Colin :icon_geek:

The age of actors playing schoolkids is something that Hollywood gets wrong with a boring monotony. As a rule, if you want to see actors and actresses anything like the age they are supposed to be, you need to be watching a film from almost anywhere else.

And to be honest, a gauche teenager will play most teenage parts better as well. The ones who retain the ability into their 20s are very few and far between.

Nope. He was lead guitar. You meant Bon Scott early Brian Johnson present.

You're absolutely right! I only know their hits and vaguely know their names.

The age of actors playing schoolkids is something that Hollywood gets wrong with a boring monotony. As a rule, if you want to see actors and actresses anything like the age they are supposed to be, you need to be watching a film from almost anywhere else. And to be honest, a gauche teenager will play most teenage parts better as well. The ones who retain the ability into their 20s are very few and far between.

I think the general opinion is that producers are terrified of having any actors who are younger than 18, because of the time restrictions and on-set schooling needed. What puzzles me is why they can't find any actors who are 18-22 and at least look like they're 16 or 17. Some of the Disney shows -- I'm thinking High School Musical and Teen Beach Movie, to name two -- actually were able to pull this off fairly well. But a lot of the garbage on the CW and Fox are just stunning in their bad casting. And stuff like the Twilight movies make me gag.

I would argue, though, that an experienced actor in their 20s is probably more professional and capable of remembering their lines and having the discipline to do what it takes to play the part more than a kid. But it depends on the person, and there certainly are teenaged actors who are very, very professional... but hopefully not to the extent that they lose their innocence and charm.