Rainbow Rangers Rescue by Rick Beck

Lugnutz

Nice story with an important message.

We went shopping for food today, hours before I read Rick's Rainbow Rangers Rescue story. We went to a market that's a local chain, Sprouts. We bought stuffed chicken breast, a large rib eye steak, some cookies and breakfast pastries, and some veggies. When my bill was totaled at the register the girl asked if I wanted to buy a bag of food for the Contra Costa Food Bank. I said "Yes" and she charged me $10.00 for the bag. There was more food in that bag, by count and by weight, than what Doug and I had bought for ourselves. It wasn't the same types of food. There wasn't anything perishable and that might spoil. There wasn't anything in glass jars. No meat. Nothing frozen or that had to be refrigerated. Just food in cans and packages. But there was a lot of it. Oatmeal, soup, stew, canned chicken and tuna and ham, canned vegetables, crackers, breakfast cereal, cookies, even bagels (the ones in plastic bags can last a long time; I asked). Enough food for a single person, or a couple, or a family, so they wouldn't go hungry.

Find your local food bank and donate money or grocery items (that meet their submission requirements). Think of all of the Richie Vickers who are out there alone and hungry and cold. And cold; if you have a "One Warm Coat" organization in your area, donate a coat that you don't wear any longer. You'll keep a Richie Vickers warm. He won't be hungry and cold. But he might still be alone. Think about becoming a Big Brother or a Big Sister. It requires a willingness to help by donating your time. Think about that; it might be the most important thing you can do for a Richie Vickers.

Colin :icon_geek:

Guest Dabeagle

After reading I have to admit feeling a little disappointed. I don't want to say anything to give it away, but I came away with a question as well.

BB/BS is a nice outfit. I discovered that the rules for it, while important and true, are discouraging. Additionally when I told them I wanted, ideally, to help a kid that had come out or was questioning they told me, honestly, that kids in their program who might lean that way were there because parents wanted to 'straighten them out'.

It's exhausting, but even if you can be a respite foster parent, giving a break to the people that took a kid in full time - you're doing a great thing.

And now I'm guilty of hijacking a thread.... :redface:

No Dabeagle, you are not guilty of hijacking a thread, just of making a point which is very valid given this story.

Like you I am feeling a little disappointed after reading this story, disappointed because I know that even as I was reading it, hundreds if not thousands of Richies in places around the world are going down the same path and experiencing the same pain.

It's exhausting, but even if you can be a respite foster parent, giving a break to the people that took a kid in full time - you're doing a great thing.

I think I can figure out what a respite foster parent is, but what are the rules? How does one become a respite foster parent? Doug and I are interested. I guess I'll contact the California Department of Social Services and do some research.

Colin :icon_geek:

Guest Dabeagle

Okay then, spoiler thingy didn't work. Oh well.

Colin: a respite care foster parent is the same thing as a full time parent. You can tell them when you inquire that you're interested in respite care rather than full time fostering. Respite foster parents will take a child for a weekend, for instance, and give the full time parents a break - sometimes it's best for all involved to get that break. I can tell you, even a year later, that my son has meltdowns where he kicks, punches and spits in my face. His past trauma is the cause, but we don't allow him to use it as an excuse to continue the behavior. But, sometimes we need a break - all parents do. Respite foster parents are like gold.

The song near the end of the story reminds me of this:

We are the Ovaltineys, little girls and boysMake your requests, we'll not refuse youWe are here just to amuse youWould you like a song or story?Will you share our joys?At games and sports we're more than keenNo merrier children could be seenBecause we all drink OvaltineWe're happy girls and boys.

It was the theme song for the Radio Luxembourg show, The Ovaltineys from 1935 to 1950 and for anyone who knows their propagation, would have been accompanied by heavy fading.