Jamie's Buddy

Guest Dabeagle

Makes Jamie's character growth plausible. Some of that we - who have read the earlier SS stories - can infer from his merely having gained a couple years since we first heard him as a non-stop potty-mouth. But the set-up for his bigger epiphany was great plotting. More than that gets into spolier-land, but I think if you've read the story you'll know what I mean. And lots of funny and clever by-play along the way.

I thought I detected a bit of dabeagle influence here and there, especially in the scene with the basement full of boys.

Clearly, however, the quotable quote of this story is:

Kale was wound so tight he could back into a wall and suck out a brick.

Great addition to the SS saga.

R

I loved the part at the end between Jamie and Riley.

Guys are like that. We can beat each other stupid, decide that we're cool and it's over.

Girls can nurse grudges until they die of old age.

OK- maybe that's a little sexist but... you can't deny the truth of it.

My niece has three boys and has told me that what really surprised her is how sweet they are to each other!

That's not exactly what you might expect to hear.

Guest RBartlett

I thought I detected a bit of dabeagle influence here and there, especially in the scene with the basement full of boys.

Clearly, however, the quotable quote of this story is:

Kale was wound so tight he could back into a wall and suck out a brick.

Great addition to the SS saga.

R

Why does Dave always get credit for my stories?

Guest Dabeagle

Why does Dave always get credit for my stories?

I don't think it's credit, just a comparison. You're being compared to me, you poor SOB. Although, Cole says we have some of the same problems with respect to editing...

I think the story is brilliantly plotted, RB, and not only gives Jamie much needed dimension, it also gives us two straight boys who are easily as interesting as the rest of the crew. I'd love to read much more about these two brothers from different mothers.

To me it was a surprise that Jamie took the lead in accepting Sean.

I would have thought it would be Robin given his temperament and tendency to act from the heart,

I did NOT see Kale's reaction coming. He's slow to warm up to people but it's worth the wait.

Jamie grabbed onto Sean and said mine, mine, mine! That had to be great for Sean given the situation.

Guest RBartlett

To me it was a surprise that Jamie took the lead in accepting Sean.

I would have thought it would be Robin given his temperament and tendency to act from the heart,

I did NOT see Kale's reaction coming. He's slow to warm up to people but it's worth the wait.

Jamie grabbed onto Sean and said mine, mine, mine! That had to be great for Sean given the situation.

It was time for Jamie to grow up and take a more active role in the storyline. Yes, he can be a little shit but he has a good heart and though he may not see all his mistakes he's quick to make good on them when they are pointed out. Sean is exactly what Jamie needed and vice versa. I expect these two to become quite the dynamic duo.

Jamie doesn't have anyone the way Robin and Kale have their boyfriends. He's also younger than his brothers. Sean is the friend who's been missing in Jamie's life. Even more than Jamie, Sean needs a friend. Jamie likes Sean and Sean likes Jamie. The are both straight (as far as we know, at this point). A friendship develops that's great for both of them. Way to go, Jamie! Way to go, Sean!

Colin :icon_geek:

I liked the way Jamie leaned hard on Sean to join the team with him. High school, at least for me, had so much of that herd instinct.

Speaking as one who never fit in, in high school, I think that must have felt good. Maybe it's one reason I wish so deeply to have one of these types of families this story has created.

I think this is the best RB story to date. As much as Jamie is developing, I think Ryan's writing is growing up in leaps and bounds, too.

I really like Sean. I think he is now my favorite character after Robin and Lucien. They all seem to have such unique and clearly defined personalities, so you can see them as inviduals, but you also see the connections between them.

I really wonder where Kale learned to be so uptight, since his parents clearly aren't and have long ago forgiven each other. I think that's the one lesson Kale really needs to learn is how to have compassion, to understand other people and not just condemn them for something they've done, but to employ a little forgiveness.

Maybe Chase can still open his mind up a little bit more. He sort of needed a good slap for his reaction, but it's good that no one actually did it. Things done in the heat of moment always make problems bigger and fortunately for Kale, his parents can see that when he can't see it for himself.

I think the best example was the judge talking to Sean and affirming to him how important he was to all of them, even if he didn't realize it, and he didn't have any reason to feel like he didn't belong.