No where else to post this

Dictionary.com's Word of the Day today is taphephobia. I found the definition a bit weird. They define it as an unnatural fear of being buried alive.

Now I ask you, why shouldn't one find the prospect of being buried alive frightening? I don't think there's anything unnatural about that at all. So I think the definition should be modified to read simply 'the fear of being buried alive.'

Glad we cleared that up.

C

Dictionary.com's Word of the Day today is taphephobia. I found the definition a bit weird. They define it as an unnatural fear of being buried alive.

Now I ask you, why shouldn't one find the prospect of being buried alive frightening? I don't think there's anything unnatural about that at all. So I think the definition should be modified to read simply 'the fear of being buried alive.'

Glad we cleared that up.

C

My dictionary (WordWeb) defines it better, I think: "A morbid fear of being buried alive." This adds more substance to the word. Also, 'morbid' goes with death more fittingly than 'unnatural' IMO.

Colin :icon_geek:

Story time, and it's even a Halloween story.

When I was a youngster, maybe nine or ten years old, right around Halloween my older brother bought a record (yeah, remember those?) that contained various horror sound effects. Each track was accompanied by a little description on the liner trying to dramatize the effects.

One of the tracks was of someone who had been buried alive. The sound was a man supposedly scratching the inside of a coffin while breathing hard, weeping, and screaming.

I remember reading the little blurb while listening to this in my brother's room.

I was horrified. Absolutely horrified. My imagination ran wild, and the vision in my head was disturbing in the way only a very badly scared child can be disturbed.

I had trouble sleeping for a day or two, and whenever my brother would bring the record came out I made myself scarce, immediately. It absolutely petrified me, the very notion of being buried alive.

I got over it, but every now and then something will remind me of that, and the wisp of a memory will come back and remind me how I felt back then, being deathly afraid of being buried alive with no hope.

So, yeah, thanks for the word of the day, Cole. Harumph.

:angry:

:icon_thumright::icon_thumright: