R.B.G. R.I.P.

dude

So sad. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was admired planet-wide.

Sadder still is the timing. Now what?

Will the senate elect RGB's replacement before the election, or will there be enough republicans with the honesty and  nous to block McConnell's machinations?

Expect a nomination on McConnell’s desk first thing Monday, and all other Senate business put on hold until confirmation pushed through.

12 hours ago, Cole Parker said:

Putting another far right vote on the court would set this country back 100 years.

C

Unfortunately  it will also embolden reactionaries elsewhere. 

[ Aside - ‘Reactionaries? ‘  makes me sound like a bearded, sandal-wearing, 1960’s leftie and a term I never thought I would have cause to use, but somehow seems more apposite than ‘conservative’ .]

It sounds as if it is going to be tight in the Senate, but it seems there are a couple of Republican senators who are prepared to vote against any move to have a confirmation hearing before January.  My friend who works in the Capitol tells me that there is a feeling that a couple of other Republican senators might have diplomatic illnesses quite soon.

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

Unfortunately  it will also embolden reactionaries elsewhere. 

[ Aside - ‘Reactionaries? ‘  makes me sound like a bearded, sandal-wearing, 1960’s leftie and a term I never thought I would have cause to use, but somehow seems more apposite than ‘conservative’ .]

It seems that if you believe in fairness, the rule of law and equality between all men you a left-wing, pot loving, queer hippy. I was recently told that my views went out of fashion with the 1960s and the hippies. Well, in many ways the attitude of people in the 1960s was a lot better than some of the attitudes I am seeing around today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 3:26 AM, Camy said:

Until Thatcher came in the world seemed quite a nice place to be.

Ah the Blessed Margaret of Sacred Memory. I remember her Spitting Image puppet well. She and Reagan set up the policies which have led to the world of Johnson and Trump. A friend who worked in Downing Street at the time of her fall told me that Spitting Image had more impact on her exit from power than anything else. I see that Spitting Image is returning, though only via BritBox. It's a pity they are not putting it on one of the mainstream channels. It might once again do some good.