Trab's 'There He Sat' Parts I - XIII

Camy

I'm not well either, but the drugs really help my creativity, although if you saw how many times I've had to backspace to make corrections, you'd wonder how I dare drive. However, I need food/groceries.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not well either, but the drugs really help my creativity, although if you saw how many times I've had to backspace to make corrections, you'd wonder how I dare drive. However, I need food/groceries.

The tobacco and coffee aren't helping me at all, but they don't affect my driving. :icon_geek:

Cool. OKAY EVERYONE, BRUIN IS DOING CHAPTER ELEVEN, when he gets a chance to work on it, probably over the next week. Does that work for you Bruin? :D

I didn't read Bruin's post that way, Trab. I read it to mean he'd like to write the chapter after the next chapter. But then, I frequently miss the point, so maybe he didn't mean that at all. But the timing would be better if someone else jumped in before next weekend.

And I can say this with great assurance it won't come back to bite me in the ass as I'm way too busy editing J,E to write anything right now! <g>

C

Well, Mr. Slaw, since you're not volunteering anyway, we'll just leave it with the way I interpreted it, whether it's the way it was meant or not. :icon_geek:

I can't write a section today but I could work on one from tomorrow onwards and get it posted as soon as it's finished which might be much sooner than next weekend. If anyone wants to go first, I suggest checking with Trab first, otherwise I'll assume I'm doing chapter XI - eleven.

Bruin

That's a peachy chapter, Trab!

I especially liked:

... Eric was standing there, right in front of me, a quizzically hopeful expression on his face.

“Petey isn’t dead?”

Cute! :smile:

Roll on XI!

I've just copied the entire 'tale' to a pinned and locked thread at the top of the forum - for people who want to read it without all the frippery and fru fru between chapters. I'll add additional chapters as they are written.

The Tribulations of Trubshaw

Chapter XI

by Bruin

from an original idea by Trab

?Eric. We need to talk. Back in your room??

He stopped in his tracks and just looked at me with a totally blank stare. ?You have to tell me: Is Petey alive??

?We don't know he's dead, but just now we don't know what has happened to him. So you have to talk to me. Come on, we need to be somewhere private.?

I led the way back to his room and closed the door once we were both inside. He seemed dazed and just stood there, so I took him by the elbow and guided him to sit on his bed, the bed that I had occupied so recently, and I sat beside him.

?Now, think carefully, and tell me exactly what you saw at the video store.?

Eric bowed his head, dredging his memory.

?I went to the store. I've gone there three times now, hoping there would be no customers and I could talk to Petey. Each time I've waited in the car, but I haven't gone in because there have been too many people around. I'm not supposed to approach him, it's a restriction the judge set.?

?What did you see this time??

?I pulled up outside and I couldn't see anybody in the store at all. So I thought I might be able to talk to him. I got out of the car and walked towards the store. But as I got near I could see through the glass that Peter was there behind the counter, and so was a man, tall, big built, much older. Grey hair. I didn't recognise him. He was ... he was kissing Petey.?

His face twisted and he choked a sob.

?He was holding him by the waist and leaning into the kiss so that Petey was leaning backwards. It was such a shock...?

and he faltered again.

?Did Peter see you??

?No, no I don't think he could have. He was bent over backwards and I think the other guy's head was between us. I don't think he could see the front of the shop.?

?Would you say Peter was active or passive in this kiss??

?Huh??

?Did you see him do anything or was he just having things done to him?? Bad turn of phrase there, I hoped Eric wouldn't be hurt by it.

Apparently he took my awkward question in his stride.

?The other man was leaning into him and kissing him, his lips and his neck too. Petey was sort of just being kissed. I didn't see him move at all. That was a bit odd, wasn't it??

?So you didn't see him dead??

?No.?

?The policeman who arrived here. Did you recognise him??

?No. I've never seen him before.?

?He couldn't have been the man you saw with Peter??

?No, the man with Peter was older.?

?Do you know the Sheriff and his team??

?I know the Sheriff, he used to come to my school. And I think I would recognise both of his deputies.?

?And the man who came wasn't any of them??

?No. Definitely not.?

?Didn't you find that strange??

?Strange? No... I guess I didn't think about it. Perhaps he's new??

?Perhaps. Or perhaps he's not a policeman at all.?

While this rather disjointed conversation was taking place, five miles away in the nearest hospital events were unfolding that at the time neither of us knew about: a young girl asked a question at the reception desk, and, getting her answer, sped on down a series of corridors and eventually found a ward and a bed and its occupant. She was tall, willowy, blond, with a narrow face and bright blue eyes, a little red from crying. The unconscious patient on the bed that she approached was likewise long and thin, with ash-blond hair but darker eyebrows, and a long face, still and at peace, asleep. A monitor by the bed recorded a series of statistics and beeped steadily.

She picked up his hand, the one without the cannula attached, and stroked it gently, keeping hold of it as she sat on the orange plastic chair by the bed. ?Oh, Peter,? she whispered, ?what have you done??

Eric finished his account. He told me that as soon as he'd seen the older man kissing Peter, he'd turned tail and run, back to the car. And he'd just sat there, crying steadily, eventually trying to eat some of the takeaway meal he'd picked up on the way to the store hoping he and Peter might share it. And that was when I first caught sight of him.

We relapsed into silence, each thinking our own thoughts. There were too many oddities, too many puzzles, and my training wasn't serving me well. I knew that I should report in and then leave the case to the regular police. As an involved person I should not take part in any investigation. But I wasn't going to let that stop me.

Deep in thought, I didn't notice the sound of heavy footsteps thundering through the house. Eric grabbed my shoulder and shook it.

?Someone's in the house. Coming up the stairs!?

I listened, he was right.

?Your father??

He shook his head, fear in his eyes. I stood up, grabbed the table lamp from the bedside table and pulled its lead from the wall. I flattened myself against the wall beside the door, hinge side, and held up the lamp like a cudgel.

?Are you a policeman??

?Sort of. It'll be all right. You'll see.?

At that moment the bedroom door shook. Someone was trying to get in. It wasn't locked, they were having difficulty with the latch. Eric watched transfixed as the handle turned a second time and this time the door opened, revealing the intruder. Eric just stared, mouth hanging open. I couldn't see the guy at first except his hand on the edge of the door, but as he came into the room I got to see his back, and the rifle in his free hand. It was the policeman, the same man mountain as before but this time in jeans and a check shirt, not police uniform.

?Well, what have we here? Where's your faggy friend??

Chapter XII

by Trab

At the hospital, Peter started to move. His eyes remained closed, but it was obvious he was coming out of it, as he groaned, and moved his free hand. Immediately, the girl jumped up and hugged him, saying, ?I love you, Peter. I love you. Please wake up. Please.?

As she was plying Peter with reassurances of her love, the door to the room opened quietly, and a man entered. The tall, big built, older man with grey hair immediately saw what was happening, and dashed over, as fast as heavyset older men can dash anywhere, to join in the hug.

Peter, feeling the press of love and bodies, and finally able to make sense of what he was hearing, opened his eyes. ?Melony!? What am I doing here? Why am I in the hospital??

?You had an attack last night, Petey. You were almost dead, but they saved you. Oh, thank God, they saved you. I love you so much.?

At that point, Peter noticed the man, and smiled a bittersweet smile. ?Hi.?

?Oh God, son, I?m so glad I came to the store just in time to find you and get help for you. You were just lying there, trying to breath and obviously not able to. I used that assisted breathing technique I learned years ago, and it worked. I know we?ve been at each other over what happened ?before? but when I realized I might lose you, I had to do what I could to save you. I realize it now. I DO love you, no matter what.?

?But dad, Melony, what happened? I don?t remember anything.?

?There was another attack, Pete. I came in, and there you were, on the floor, gasping for breath. I held you up, and helped you to breath, but couldn?t leave you to get to the phone. I finally managed to grab your cell out of your pocket, and called emergency services. They came right away.?

?I?m so glad, dad, that you came just then. Are the police investigating the attack? I don?t remember anything.?

?Uh. No. Why would they??

?Duh, dad. Attack. Me almost dead.?

?Oh. Sorry, son. I guess, since you don?t remember anything, you wouldn?t know. It was another of your allergy attacks, not one of those video store attacks. I?m really, really not going to let you put off that battery of tests any more. In fact, I?ve already talked to the doctors here, and before you even get discharged, they?re going to find out what is causing those attacks.?

?Yeah, Petey. You just can?t keep putting us through this. You have to find out what?s going on, and fix it.?

?You?re right. I love you all too much to do this too you. I?m terrified of the needles they stick in you, and don?t shit me, I know they do that, ?cause I?ve looked online, but I guess I?m not ready to die over it.?

?Thanks, son. I?ll let the doctors know you?re going to cooperate, right now. And I?m going to let mom know you?re fine too. Back in a while. Love you.?

Back in the bedroom, the tableau only held for a brief moment.

?Here, dude,? which was the last thing he heard before I smashed the lamp onto his head, and he crumpled to the floor.

TO BE CONTINUED

Well, I know Cole is super busy, and frankly, so am I. I can't seem to get ahead of it anymore. If you could, Camy, that would be really terrific.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Maybe we should do it that way all the time. Maybe one chapter per week, or at most, two in a week. It takes the pressure off a bit. After all, it's got to be fun. So far, I'm amazed that I haven't ground to a halt, and am still getting some inspiration.

Well, I know Cole is super busy, and frankly, so am I. I can't seem to get ahead of it anymore. If you could, Camy, that would be really terrific.

I'm finding it hard tto get head too Trab, but I am loving the story.

And yet again, Des manages to get a zinger in there. Getting head indeed.

Of course, his poor, long-suffering and under-appreciated partner is being saddled with all this. I hope the saddle is comfortable.

Tell me, which bothers him most, putting up with your witticisms, or you incessant horniness?

Or is it none of my business?

C<g>