Tim

Oliver

Cole!

What a pleasant surprise to see a (for me) complete new novel from you.

Never seen it before. I read trough it in one evening and enjoyed it very, very much.

Have you got more of those hidden surprises somewhere?

:icon_geek:

Oliver

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, Oliver. You're not demanding much, are you? I've printed it all out, for easier reading, but it has to wait its turn. In case anyone cares to know, printing out this story results in 85 pages of 8 point type, single spaced. I need to do it this way, and it costs me over 15K sheets of paper annually. When I'm done, I have to shred it, since technically I've broken copyrights by printing, and I don't want a copy to escape. My poor shredder goes unconscious from the heat generated. Or maybe it's just too excited about all the hot stuff I keep sticking in it. :icon_geek:

Trab:

You have my permission, as owner, author and maintenance tinkerer, to not shred anything you print of mine.

Oliver:

Most all of my writing is now at AD. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a couple of things Nifty has that AD doesn't. The amazing thing, to me, is that you read Tim in one sitting. I don't even think I could do that. Or would want to. Pretty awesome, dude.

C

Hmm, I have to explain some things.

First of all, when I like something I read, and I have the time... I just can't stop.

Secondly, imagine this; I am at the coast*, brought my little caravan over there. I've got one because I like the beach, strolling along the sandy beaches. It is a spot on a campingsite from easter till the end of June.

And, for the first time since 40 years, it is cold and it snows! That's very odd around here.

So it is cold, it is snowing or raining and the winds are furious. But it is the beginnen of season so I refuse to go home.

Read the first reason again; I've got time.

:-)

But I really really liked it, like the other stories you wrote.

*Maybe interesting for Trab; it is near Vlissingen....... :icon_geek:

It sounds like you are now getting the crappy weather we had a week ago. I know exactly what you mean, about the camping, the waves, the water, the beach, the sand. Not recently, but in the past, I too, went to the beach. In fact, for the first year I lived here, I travelled to the beach 40 weekends out of the year. Sometimes I'd walk on the beach at night, and only the glow of the algae from my footsteps would light things up a bit. Often I'd just find a slightly sheltered spot, and huddle down, covered by my rain poncho, wind beating at me with futility, rain battering coldly through the plastic, and me, curled up, reading a book. Later, going back to camp, I could continue to read, with a warm cup of cocoa in my hands, the weather right next to me, yet far far away. Ah, Oliver, you make me want to go camping at the beach. I even have the 'caravan', I just cannot afford the $200 for fuel just to drive there.

I bougt the secondhanded caravan a few year ago.

Is 'caravan' the right word in English? We call it a 'sleurhut' sarcastically sometimes. (Translation would be something like a 'towhut'.)

It is just a one-and-a-half-our drive from my home.

But my bed is standing at the beach (well, behind the dunes) there if I want to stay over during the weekends.

I like the beach; not in the summer, but specially in springtime and fall.

Empty sand, wind in your face and going home with a salty face.....

I think you probably mean something that we call a trailer. http://www.funside.nl/ontour/sleurhut/pinksterk014.jpg

What I have is a camperized van, or campervan. Sort of like this picture, but much older and not as nice. http://www.pennywiserentals.com.au/images/...an%20XLG044.JPG

Uh oh. I just realized, we (I?) are (am?) hijacking this thread. Sorry, everyone.

Yup, a trailer it is. Mine is slightly bigger and has a more standard colour.

(You googled 'sleurhut', did you? Great!)

OK, back on topic.....

Tim. Yeah, that was it.

No kidding Cole, we liked it. Tim got me carried away like, well, strolling on beaches........

Trab:

You have my permission, as owner, author and maintenance tinkerer, to not shred anything you print of mine.

C

May I join you Cole, in the absolution of our readers?

Since I started posting I have made the following statement applicable to my work;

Personal one-off copies are permitted for private, non-commercial use. Any copying or use of this story or any portion of it that renders anyone monetary gain or profit in any form is prohibited without written permission of the author.

I did this so people in Trab's position did not feel obliged to shred their copy.

Personally I have taught myself to read online to such a degree that I now feel uncomfortable reading a book.

Not to mention that books don't come with a built-in dictionary. :icon_geek:

Quite frankly I think copyright laws as they are today restrict building on past work of other authors to such a degree that we are in danger of stifling creativity.

I don't mean we should steal others work, just that the fair use clause needs lightening up to enable creativity to flow from artists to artist.

As artists we also need to make ourselves available to consider reasonable requests for others to pursue such inspiration as might come from our work for other artistic forms.

I apologize for the hijack and now return you to the topic du jour.

OK, I just finished it. It's definitely as good as it was the first time I read it*. Like most of Cole's work, it's the characters that make me like the story. I'm a sucker for a character I can be part of. Not many author's can write one that complex, and Cole pulls it off repeatedly**.

* Though I note with irritation the Oxford Commas are still missing. Hmph.

** I mean writing complex Characters and not that other thing.

Personal one-off copies are permitted for private, non-commercial use. Any copying or use of this story or any portion of it that renders anyone monetary gain or profit in any form is prohibited without written permission of the author.

I agree with you completely. I actually agree with the idea of Creative Commons, but in the spirit of Woody Allen, I refuse to join any organization that would have somebody like me for a member. :wink:

But seriously: you can't stop anybody on the net from stealing posted fiction. I write because I enjoy it, and I don't pretend it's for any other reason. If people want to print it out, that's fine by me. Regardless, I do put a copyright notice in my stories, just for the principle of the thing.

As for Tim: I like the fact that the story goes in unexpected directions, and that the characters surprised me several times. It's definitely well-done and entertaining, and I'd recommend it without any hesitation.

And just to follow up my kiss with a slap: you should think about re-writing the first chapter. I can clearly see you were a better writer by the last chapter than you were in the first, and I think a more-solid opening scene would work better.

in the spirit of Woody Allen, I refuse to join any organization that would have somebody like me for a member.

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

You're off by MANY, MANY, MANY years.

He used it again in 1967...

QUOTATION:Please accept my resignation. I don?t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.

ATTRIBUTION:Groucho Marx (1895?1977), U.S. comic actor. Quoted in Arthur Sheekman, The Groucho Letters, introduction (1967). Letter to Hollywood?s Friar?s Club.

I too have read Tim for a second time. Sorry, Cole, I did it in two sittings.

Ah, so this explains why I am the only member of the Cole Parker Fan Club. :wink:

I'm not even sure I can figure out just what that means. I spent all my mental energy today trying to write 26 word alphabetic statements.

But thanks, I think.

C

I too have read Tim for a second time. Sorry, Cole, I did it in two sittings.

Ah, so this explains why I am the only member of the Cole Parker Fan Club. :wink:

You are not the only member, I can assure you of that. :lol:

Just finished Tim, not quite at one sitting - real life intruded a couple of times. It's a great story if a little harrowing in places. It's very well written, an emotionally powerful story sensitively told. If you haven't read it yet, go read! It's strongly recommended.

Bruin

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

You're off by MANY, MANY, MANY years.

Actually, no. Woody was quoting Groucho in the movie Annie Hall, which was only about ten years later (1976). And Woody won an Oscar for it. I'd also say that Woody said it better. If you know the scene, it's sad and ironic and funny, at the same time, because he's talking about relationships he's had that eventually fall apart -- for the reason stated.

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting around to adding my own comments to this thread.

If I'm not mistaken, it was in response to reading Tim at Nifty that gave me the courage to first contact Cole. In fact, I believe that was the first time I ever contacted anyone in response to reading a gay-themed story on the Internet. I was too paranoid before that, but Tim was so exceptional and the fact that it portrayed a kid with a disability, and not just any disability, but a rare disorder that so few people would have ever heard of, empowered me to take action. I just had to get to know this extraordinary author. :cool:

At the time, Cole was in the midst of posting his story, Josh Evolving (When is that one coming to AD, Cole?), and I was so impressed with his style of writing, that I searched for his earlier stories on Nifty and found Tim. I've read Tim several times now and it was this story, and Grasshopper's Just Hit Send that inspired me to write Love in a Chair. I should be so lucky to have a tenth the talent of these two authors. :bunny:

Cole, thanks again for a wonderful and engaging story. Seriously, I really would like to see you bring Josh Evolving to AD as well, and maybe to write that sequel you've been thinking about (and probably didn't want anyone else to know about - OK, I'll keep it quiet :lol:). Your writing has truly enriched my life.

Wow! I don't know what to say. 'Thanks' doesn't seem enough.

Tim was posted here at Dude's request. It seems it would be awfully forward of me to suggest bringing a story to AD that's been posted elsewhere becasue, if he doesn't want it, it forces him into the embarrassing position of having to politely refuse. I don't want to put anyone in that positon.

Yes, I did start a sequel to Josh, Evolving. That was the one story I wrote where the characters had unfinished business ahead of them. I started it a couple of times, got about five chapters in, but it never felt exactly right to me. I was having time-line problems with a flashback, and I really liked the flashback but couldn't seem to make it work our right, so I simply abandoned it. Perhaps, someday. . . . But perhaps not, too. I think a writer has to know when to say no as well and when to say yes.

Thanks again for the overly kind comments. It always means more when it comes from a good writer.

C

Tim was posted here at Dude's request. It seems it would be awfully forward of me to suggest bringing a story to AD that's been posted elsewhere becasue, if he doesn't want it, it forces him into the embarrassing position of having to politely refuse. I don't want to put anyone in that positon.

Jeez, don't be a wuss. Lots of authors (probably the majority) approach sites and say "I have this story/poem/serial novel can I post it on your site?" I'd say you're more worried about rejection than putting Dude in some embarrassing situation. Rejection letters are de rigueur for authors. My fiction writing professor brought in a thick three-ring binder with her collection. :cool: Just do it. Wibby will give you a recommendation for Josh Evolving and so will I. I think you'll find a lot of others will climb onto that bandwagon. J,E was the first of your stories that I read, and it blew me away. I wrote to you about it, and we've been online friends ever since, even editing each other's stories. So, take it from a friend, tell Dude that you want to have AD host Josh Evolving.

Colin :bunny: