Help! Tomatoes and Gardening Misadventures!

Lana-crushing-tomato.-Foot-fetish-high-heels.jpg Do you know how hard it is to get a tomatoe to wear pantyhose? Much less get it to dance!

There is a strong temptation to try to reassure the woman to not be upset, as it wouldn't have lived anyway.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, James, saving those recipes. I really like fried okra, but I don't fix it often.

I had to look up a remoulade recipe, and of course, found everybody has their own not-so-secret recipe. :D ...Yes, I'm gonna get a Cajun/Creole cookbook, dunno why I haven't already. (Suggestions welcome.)

We are overdue for rain here, but nothing like last year's nearly year-long drought, and so far, the heat's normal too. But yeah, the climate here matches anywhere not too far inland along the Gulf Coast for growing conditions. Next year, I'll be expanding my gardening attempts.

BTW, it might be nice if people like gardening and cooking topics enough to have a regular thing going.

Paul -- Dude, monkey cooties! -- OK, I've never asked, how in the world would "cooties" translate into French? I have a feeling it's not entirely an American cultural thing. LOL, but friendly monkeys are welcome. I mean, if we can have orangutans, beagles, emus, and such-like, might as well have monkeys! Also, I'd much rather meet a friendly monkey than a mean monkey. :thumbsup:

BTW, it might be nice if people like gardening and cooking topics enough to have a regular thing going.

I think that is a great idea. Writers are creative, and I'm sure there are a lot of writers here who are also creative in the kitchen. I know Cole and James are, along with a lot of you.

I have two foster boys that want nothing but burritos and spaghetti, so when I make chicken cordon blue or cajan jambalaya, David and I get to have double portions. LOL

Seriously though, a forum topic on food creativity would fit for a lot of us.

So here's my first submittable:

Cajun Jambalaya

· Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

• 12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
  • 4 ounces chicken, diced
  • 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning, recipe follows
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 3/4 cup rice
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 5 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

In a bowl combine shrimp, chicken and Creole seasoning, and work in seasoning well. In a large saucepan heat oil over high heat with onion, pepper and celery, 3 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire and hot sauces. Stir in rice and slowly add broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until rice absorbs liquid and becomes tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. When rice is just tender add shrimp and chicken mixture and sausage. Cook until meat is done, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning.

Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):

• 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

Come on Cole, you're next.

All right, I'm up to the challenge. This is exceptionally good. The only kicker is, not everyone will have a springform pan. You can purchase one for under $10.

Chocolate Cloud Cake

Cake: (and no, I didn’t forget the flour. Really!)

8 ounces best-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate,

coarsely chopped

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened

6 large eggs: 2 whole, 4 separated

1 cup white sugar

2 Tbs cognac or Grand Marnier (optional and not needed)

Grated zest of 1 orange (also optional and not needed)

Whipped Cream Topping:

1½ cups heavy cream, well chilled

3 Tbs Confectioners’ sugar

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Unsweetened cocoa powder, for sprinkling (or can shave

bittersweet chocolate over whipped cream instead)

Preparation of the Cake:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom of an 8” (9” will probably do fine, though it might take slightly less baking time) springform pan with a round of wax paper; do not butter the pan. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a bowl set over hot water. Don’t let the boiling water touch the pan, just the steam. Remove pan from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted; set aside.

2. In a bowl, whisk the 2 whole eggs and the 4 egg yolks with ½ cup of the sugar just until blended. Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture. Whisk in optional stuff if using them. I don’t.

3. In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the 4 egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup sugar and beat until the whites form soft mounds that hold their shape but are not quite stiff. Stir about ¼ of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it; gently fold in the remaining whites, trying not to ruin their fluffiness any more than necessary, until the whites are fully incorporated and the batter has a uniform color. Pour the batter into the pan, scraping the bowl; smooth the top of the cake batter.

4. Bake until the top of the cake is puffed and cracked and the center is no longer wobbly, usually 35 to 40 minutes. Do not over bake. It is better to be undercooked slightly than overcooked. It’s tricky to know when it’s done because the center will still be somewhat soft. A toothpick should be just clean.

5. Cool the cake still in the pan on a wire rack; the cake will sink as it cools, forming a crater in the center with higher sides. The top will crack even more. That’s OK.

6. Whipped cream topping: At serving time, whip the cream with the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until not quite stiff. With a spatula, carefully fill the center depression of the cake with the whipped cream, pushing it gently to the edges. Dust the top lightly with the cocoa powder, or shave curls of bitter sweet chocolate over the top using a carrot peeler. Carefully remove the cake from its pan to a plate. Best to serve still somewhat warm.

Try it. You'll love it. And it's not as hard as it might sound. Just takes a little time. Nothing there that can't be done rather easily. The only tricky part is not overcooking it because you'll feel you can't really tell when it's done. You can. Just stick a toothpick in when it doesn't jiggle so much when the pan is lightly wiggled or tapped. It forms a crust that fools you. If you can still see moisture on the toothpick but the thing is set, take it out.

C

Tarte a L'oignon

Serves 10... or 5 hungry people

Ingredients

10 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces

5 Vidalia onions, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

4 eggs

1 pinch ground nutmeg (may substitute Allspice)

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust (Deepdish) scatch or store-bought.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. Place the bacon into a skillet, and cook over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 4 tablespoons bacon fat, and drain on paper towels.

3. Place the onions into the same skillet with the bacon fat, and cook over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the milk and cream in a bowl. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and stir to blend. Stir in the milk mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, stir in the bacon, and set aside to cool 10 minutes.

4. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until light colored and frothy. Stir a spoonful of the onion mixture into the eggs. Add another spoonful of the onion mixture, and continue stirring. Repeat, until all the onions have been stirred into the eggs and are thoroughly blended. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

5. Bake in preheated oven until the crust is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes before serving.

The tart is supposed to be a side dish, but with the bacon, can be a good lunch!

Vidalia onions make all the difference with that one. Yum.

Er, ahem, too many slices of that at lunch may lead to dinner in the emergency room... anybody got any recipes that don't require a weeks-worth of egg production from the chickens and the top of the bottle from the creamery?

Hmm, next time I need to use up remaining bacon, I'll fix that. Yes, it looks a lot like a quiche, but perhaps I'm missing something. Quiche is great.

I wanted to find a Cajun/Creole cookbook recently, and I found My New Orleans by John Besh. Very good stuff, though I haven't tried the recipes yet. He talks about growing up and learning cooking, hunting, and conservation from his family, then getting a culinary degree and experience in France (two regions), Germany, and Louisiana afterwards, and then how his outlook changed when Katrina and Ike hit and after. There's a love of tradition, both native Louisianan and its roots in France, Spain, Italy, and Africa, and even the influx from Vietnam and India. Really good.

Another I'd recommend is Robb Walsh's Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook. You'll find recipes from the many regions and cultures that make up historic and modern Texas, and I can tell you they are authentic. Again, there is food and cultural history of how the groups that make up Texas added and changed their own foods, from the original settlers to today's immigrants, native Texans, and Americans coming in from out of state.

Other friends have me interested in trying Asian food. Other than Chinese-American, I haven't had many other Asian foods, even though there are plenty of places in my city. (I've heard I should try banh mi, for instance.)

LOL, yeah, you have to be careful on calories, fats, and sugars, but you can also enjoy good food, even so.

OK James, you wanted something without eggs and cream... And, blue, this should satiate your Cajun desires.

Main dish for two, double for four.

Smothered Alligator

2 lbs. gator tail meat, cut in 1x2 x 1/2 inch strips.

1/4 c. cooking oil

1 Vadalia onion, chopped fine

1 bell pepper, chopped fine

1/4 c. parsley, chopped fine

1/2 c. celery, chopped fine

1/4 c. shallots, chopped fine

Bay leaf

1/4 tsp. basil

Salt & pepper

Saute onions in oil until golden brown, add bell pepper and celery. Saute until tender, add meat and seasonings, simmer for 40 minutes. then add parsley and shallots about 5 minutes before serving.

Hahaha, wow!

First, you gotta catch dat-dere crocogator, ça! Den you gotta avoid him smotherin' you for his hors d'oeuvres!

You know, it is just possible gator is available around here somewhere. We already had regular trade with our neighboring state, and with Katrina, Rita, and Ike, that has meant a big influx of Louisianans here. The stew pot gets mixed in the Gulf for sure.

Oh, this is probably a good chance to plug Colin's story, Escaping Katrina.

Okay James, not long egg production for this one, nor cream in gallons,

This one is actually one of my favorites and is easy to make, and is so delicious that you'll be making it over and over again. When your partner asks, "How did you do this?" You can say, "Oh, it's something that I just through together." :)

Pork Roast with Mushroom Gravy

Serves 4

Ingredients

• 1 (5 to 7 pound) pork loin or butt
  • 1 whole head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
  • Red Hot Sauce or other hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Cajon Spice, recipe follows
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

For the Gravy:

• 6 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 rib celery, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 bunch green onions, green and white parts chopped separately
  • 2 cups rich beef stock
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 pound mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Pierce the roast all over with the tip of a paring knife and stuff one clove of garlic into each hole, followed by a few drops of hot sauce. Sprinkle on all sides with Essence and garlic powder and rub into the meat. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the roast evenly on all sides, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and enough water to come 1-inch up the sides of the pan. Add the teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and stir to combine and loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and add a more water as necessary to come 1-inch up the sides of the pan. Continue to cook until very tender, about 3 1/2 hours total cooking time.

Meanwhile, to make the gravy, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until milk chocolate-colored roux is formed, about 15 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and the white part of the green onions, and cook until the vegetables are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the beef stock and heavy cream and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until tender and golden brown around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and teriyaki sauce to the gravy and simmer until flavors come together, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.

Remove the roast from the oven and transfer to a platter. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Strain the pan juices through a fine mesh strainer into the gravy and simmer until heated through and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve over the carved roast.

Creole Seasoning:

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

First, you gotta catch dat-dere crocogator, ça! Den you gotta avoid him smotherin' you for his hors d'oeuvres!

You know, it is just possible gator is available around here somewhere.

Or you can get it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or one of those sorts of stores.

Colin :icon_geek:

Wow, what interesting recipes. I had a roast of crocodile once in Australia so I suppose alligator isn't beyond possible, once I find a source for it other than something dank hanging up in a chinatown shop window. The pork loin, however, makes me wonder how you folks in New Mexico can keep your teeth with all that chewing. Five to seven pounds of loin to serve four? And here I've just gotten my head around portion sizes similar to a deck of cards.