Oh, Canada!

I just read the French version of Oh, Canada, and I think something's wrong.

A carton of bras, saltpeter, and lepers? A ton of history is one eye-popper, Plus Des's brilliant exploits? Sometimes I wonder about Wikipedia... And, how did Des get into the Canadian national anthem? I thought he was on the other side of the planet.

Sounds like fun...but I have no idea what you are talking about. I am already predisposed to think that the French are a bit strange, but those are all relatives I don't want to make public. I'm sure you will have to expound on your commentary to bring us all up to speed.

Sorry, I was being silly. In another section of AD, we were discussing the Supreme Court Health Care decision and how some nations, Canada in particular, are more civilized about health care than the US and I had mentioned how in 2004, someone had created a map of Canada that included the states that had voted for John Kerry. So, I started quoting "Oh, Canada" and found it humorous when I read the French lyrics on Wikipedia and how they sounded rather like an English Madlib.

Ô Canada!

Terre de nos aïeux,

Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,

Il sait porter la croix!

Ton histoire est une épopée

Des plus brillants exploits.

Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

which I perverted into the nonsense in my first post.

Sorry. It must have been a bit over the wall. If it has to be explained, I guess it isn't funny. I get weird sometimes. :wacko:

I am not sure what religion and sabre rattling has to do with the passed healthcare laws, which is what the translation amounts to... other than they are glad they are free, about like most other freeworld countries...

O Canada! Land of our forefathers,

Thy brow is wreathed with glorious jewels!

Because your arm knows how to wear the sword,

He knows how to carry the cross!

Your story is an epic With glowing hearts.

And thy worth, faith tempered,

God keep our land glorious and free.

God keep our land glorious and free.

With apologies to the peoples above 'our' borders, I am not sure their systems are any better than down here.

Actually, I was complimenting Canada on their national health care and their guarantee that all citizens get health care, as do the UK, France Germany, and practically every other developed and advanced country in the world. Its a disgrace that 40 million Americans don't have access to health care and that the wealthiest, the most powerful country on earth is ranked 21st in child mortality, that we flushed a trillion dollars down the toilet conquering Iraq for no intelligent reason other than to avenge W's Daddy when we have so many other far more pressing needs here at home. . I had started the discussion in another thread and just moved what I thought was funny to this section because I remember in 2004, many people who had voted for Senator Kerry were musing about moving to Canada rather than living under an illiterate President like George W. Bush. I think I'll be much more careful in the future in making sarcastic comments. Sometimes my sense of humor is hard to understand. This has turned out to be far different than I thought it would.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice to see Canada changed the words to its national anthem last week. (Really!)

Rather than that gratingly sexist "True patriot love in all thy sons command..." it shall henceforth read "True patriot love in all of us command..."

Apparently up until now the nation had not commanded any true patriot love from anybody but the boys. Now it's all Eveny Stephanie. Yay Canada!