My Best Friend by Gee Whillikers

Point of view is one of the most important elements in a story and GW really found the right way to present the drama of a young boy's life in this story.

Perhaps we don't realize what an omniscient position animals hold in our lives. They probably see everything we do. But what if their senses allow them to understand us better than we know? In this tale the family pet narrates us through a crisis in his young master's life, all the while relating his normal doggie needs.

Humans often give animals little credit for understanding our complicated lives, but GW isn't one of them. The next time you look your pet in the eye just remember this story, and for goodness sake, don't do anything in front of them that would embarass you. An excellent quick read! Now all I have to do is learn to spell his name right...Woof!

Ha, Chris passed me on the inside! The choice of narrator and viewpoint was inspired. I remember being very conscious of my dog watching at inopportune moments when I was that age, so I found the device totally credible. I have a thing about boys having supportive mothers... maybe I should give their dogs more attention. Well done GeeW another triumph... it made me smile.

What an absolutely marvelous story! Worf's perspective of a growing boy's awakening to the world and his own nature is quite moving. I felt so emotional reading this that I had to pause several times and regroup before proceeding. Wonderful job, Gee! One of the best stories I've read in a long time.

Another story with a similar premise is "My Diary" by Cole Parker. I recommend it, as well.

Thanks everybody. I wanted to try something a bit different from my usual First Person or Third Person Omniscient and figured 2nd person, with a non-human character, would fit the bill. It gave me a chance to have some fun with the idea of Worf's own needs as well as the people around him. We say and do things when alone with our dogs, cats, and other pets that we'd never say or do with other people, often even those close to us, so that's another aspect I thought I could explore a bit.

I loved this story (I'm a bit late to this conversation, sorry!) and found it enchanting and fresh and delightful. Worf doesn't, in fact, see the best bits of the story, because the bedroom door is closed on him but the writing gives us just enough information to work out for ourselves what he's missing. Brilliant.

I have a dog story, or at least flash, which is slightly reminiscent of this: http://awesomedude.com/bruinfisher/Grigor.html