Su Cuy' gar

Guest Dabeagle

I've always maintained that feedback from readers was at the top of my motivation list - and it's pretty to see people picking and choosing from the things I've written and debating a favorite. Thanks guys, an ego boost on a Monday morning is always welcome!

It's dangerous to feed a beagle, for it never knows when its had enough. That said, my nomination for our Beagle's most memorable ('best' is in the eye of the beholder, don't you think?) story is, for me, "The Meaning of Living." That story rocked my socks the first time I read it and every time since, and its episodes linger in my memory. I love it for the way it shows how characters can learn and change and grow, all in the space of a short story. Most writers would need a novel-length narrative to accomplish what this story does.

Note, though, that at their last meeting, Quin's mother does exhibit a degree of self-awareness and in effect owns up to her failures to him. Not nearly enough to make it up to her son, and way too late, but you do get a sense of the immature girl who suffered a tragedy early in life, wasn't able to handle it, and as a result never grew up. We see so many one-dimensional horrible parents in amateur gay writing that it's refreshing to see one depicted with more complexity, and hence believability (for all her wackiness).

I loved this story.

At first I was like I think I've read this before.

I call it the Dropping Scenario where the protagonist is dumped on a family member in a small town.

Then the characters took over and came to life.

Who knew you would find a player like Matthew in a small town.

quagmire_zpsdc6060ec.jpg < Quagmire seal of approval

I loved the Aunt. She was awesome and Kelly was a good influence on QT.

It was a second hand lions kind of story. I loved it. I also had an aunt that was . . . eccentric. She was known to break out in a yodel now and then and she was really good at it if that can be, perhaps skilled or gifted would be a better choice of terms. And there were rumors she won a peeing contest against her two brothers from the second floor of a Howard Johnsons in their youth. Having known her . . . it's probably not a rumor. She was never seen without her favorite drink in hand, a mixture of milk and pepsi. Go figure.

It was a most wonderful story and in true Dabeagle style. But does the guy write anything not top notch? Saved to my private Library is all I can say. I always worry about the loss of so many great works when the internet apocolipse occurs. So I give santuary to the best of the best. :-)

Now I have to find an adult beverage to help stem the pics in my head of my dear aunt Ruth. GAH! Make them stop!

It was a second hand lions kind of story. I loved it. I also had an aunt that was . . . eccentric. She was known to break out in a yodel now and then and she was really good at it if that can be, perhaps skilled or gifted would be a better choice of terms. And there were rumors she won a peeing contest against her two brothers from the second floor of a Howard Johnsons in their youth. Having known her . . . it's probably not a rumor. She was never seen without her favorite drink in hand, a mixture of milk and pepsi. Go figure.

It was a most wonderful story and in true Dabeagle style. But does the guy write anything not top notch? Saved to my private Library is all I can say. I always worry about the loss of so many great works when the internet apocolipse occurs. So I give santuary to the best of the best. :-)

Now I have to find an adult beverage to help stem the pics in my head of my dear aunt Ruth. GAH! Make them stop!

Is it my imagination or does Aunt Ruth have beard...?

Dabeagle is an inspiration to us all. We should all pay tribute to him by hoarding away his stories safe from the internet, so future generations will know.

Guest Dabeagle

You're going to give me a fat head. Don't get me wrong - I love hearing what you liked and what you didn't, but I'm not some genius at writing. I struggle and feel like I force it sometimes - but I'm glad you like it. I've liked a lot of my recent stuff, too.

Guest Dabeagle

I can't believe how prolific he's become. Amazing.

C

Prolific? Shall we compare author pages? Yes, that's right - you far out pace me. And as a bonus, you don't switch tenses! Well, except for that one time...

I can't believe how prolific he's become. Amazing.

C

Prolific? Shall we compare author pages? Yes, that's right - you far out pace me. And as a bonus, you don't switch tenses! Well, except for that one time...

Food fight! Food fight!

Colin :icon_geek: