Microsoft IE is open to bug

...it was patched this morning.

Colin :icon_geek:

'Patched' is the operative word here. Microsoft is like a tired old highway filled with potholes, washouts, busted bridges, dead ends, and wrong turns. It depends upon third-party contractors to work through the night to fill in and patch those yawning sinkholes that seem to open up without warning every afternoon and soon filled with desperate travelers, in over their heads.

'Patched' is the operative word here. Microsoft is like a tired old highway filled with potholes, washouts, busted bridges, dead ends, and wrong turns. It depends upon third-party contractors to work through the night to fill in and patch those yawning sinkholes that seem to open up without warning every afternoon and soon filled with desperate travelers, in over their heads.

Sounds like Michigan...

The "patch" or update was made by Norton to their Norton 360 suite. The update was designed to block the problem in IE (which can make accessing some websites not work). It has nothing to with non-Norton products or with Internet Explorer. Will this update protect users? Will the Microsoft patch to be issued on May 13 protect users? Who knows? I will continue using IE for most of my browsing, and Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for going to some sites. For example, I find that Firefox works better with AD's forums because of weirdness built into IPBoard 3.4.6 than IE or Chrome, so that's when I use Firefox.

I will continue using IE for most of my browsing, and Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for going to some sites. For example, I find that Firefox works better with AD's forums because of weirdness built into IPBoard 3.4.6 than IE or Chrome, so that's when I use Firefox.

The AD forums are the only place I use Firefox because (as you note, Colin) for some reason IPBoard doesn't work properly with Opera or IE. Firefox is showing its age now, it lacks features, and it has its own weirdnesses built-in, so I avoid it as much as I can. I very rarely use Chrome, mostly because it's too bare-bones for me, but also because I don't want Google ruling my online life. I rarely use IE either.

Opera has been my "first" browser for about ten years; it's more secure, has lots of handy features built in that other browsers provide via add-ons (or don't provide at all), includes an email client, and is vastly more customisable than any other browser. On the other hand, it also has its own idiosyncrasies.

Last year the Opera developers opted to use the engine that powers Chrome. In making that decision they had to ditch everything that made Opera unique and useful - to much consternation and frustration from long-term users. Sadly, many of the features I use on a daily basis are missing from the new Opera and are likely to remain missing for a long time to come, if they're added at all. At present I'm still using the last good version of Opera, but I'll have to change at some stage in the future. The question is... where do I go? None of the other browsers matches the old Opera, so whatever browser I choose will be missing features I've come to rely on. It's sad when you're a bit of a geek! :)