Courage, by Bi_Janus

vwl

'Courage' is a marvellous story, and a great addition to the Goldendale canon. If there's one thing I've learnt from Bi-Janus it's that there isn't a relationship norm: there is just love. Oh, and Alison Krauss is well worth a listen. 'Raising Sand', her album with Robert Plant (Led Zepplin), is terrific.

Thanks. Did you ever write a relatively minor character in a longer work that persistently nagged at you for its own story—not only deserved its own story but also bothered you into writing that story?

I knew I was enjoying "Courage" but there was something else, as well as the story and the way it was written.

It took half the story for me to identify what I was feeling...

Envy !

I so wish I could write half as well as this. Well done! This is brilliantly done.

I've really enjoyed the Goldendale series of stories but must say this is one of the best. It is also one that has layers of insight and meaning, I found myself having to read it again and again just to make sure I was not missing something and usually found that I had. Great story and well told.

• 1 year later...

I know Courage is a short story rather than a novel, but I think it ought to be moved from Short Stories to under The Goldendale Series on BiJanus's story collection page. It is certainly a worthy part of that series. I re-read it today, and am once again in awe of how many layers of love and care and wisdom and good characterization are inherent in the fairly short tale.

--Rigel

I know Courage is a short story rather than a novel, but I think it ought to be moved from Short Stories to under The Goldendale Series on BiJanus's story collection page. It is certainly a worthy part of that series. I re-read it today, and am once again in awe of how many layers of love and care and wisdom and good characterization are inherent in the fairly short tale.

--Rigel

Personally I would agree. There is no reason why a series should not contain both novels and short stories.