An Inspired Ending

Here's a thought about inspiring stories.

Instead of a theme or a start of a story, which many of us seem to have, why not an ending.

We provide the end of a story and the idea would be to provide a story that finishes with the suggested ending.

For example here is an ending;

"I watched them turn and walk away. There was no denying that it would be difficult, but at least, now, there was a chance of success; and that was a reward in itself."

The trick is to leave it vague so that a variety of ideas of stories could be accommodated all with the same final paragraph or sentence. Alterations would be okay. It's the inspiration that we are looking for, not rigid adherence to the final words.

Just a thought.

In most stories there are "Threads"- sub-plots if you will.

It's a good idea to tie these up in your ending. Leaving them dangling is... annoying to many readers.

There may be good reasons to leave these either unresolved or ambiguous but-

Every thread is like the fiber in a rope. Collectively they add to or, detract from its strength.

It is wise to give each one purpose and focus. Otherwise they are just a distraction.

In most stories there are "Threads"- sub-plots if you will.

It's a good idea to tie these up in your ending. Leaving them dangling is... annoying to many readers.

There may be good reasons to leave these either unresolved or ambiguous but-

Every thread is like the fiber in a rope. Collectively they add to or, detract from its strength.

It is wise to give each one purpose and focus. Otherwise they are just a distraction.

James, I wasn't meaning that the end should be unresolved; what I meant by being 'vague' was that the wording for the propsed end of the story should be stated in a way that would fit different author's stories. I certainly agree that frivolous dangling sub-plots that do not serve the narrative are indeed a distraction.

My all time favourite ending, of any story is one of the ones here. What's more, I reckon I can safely quote it as it doesn't act as a spoiler and anyone reading this post should have already read the story anyway.

I attacked England. And presently it came into Welsh hands.

From http://www.awesomedude.com/mihangel/xenophilia-1/index.htm

It's now a long time since I first read it and I still smile.

Here's one: "And suddenly, they were all hit by a bus."

:redface:

Um, this might have more merit and encourage stories if you'd add an s. As in, And suddenly, they were all hit by a buss.

But at least it's a suggestion. We need more! I'll suggest a few just to keep the ball rolling, but we need more from others:

Whichever way he turned, they were all looking at him.

"Curses!" he muttered. "But what can I do? I'll have to wait till next year."

His smile wouldn't stop, and as he joyfully opened his arms, he murmured, "Thank god for the US Postal Service."

He had fallen and couldn't get up.

There was a flash and searing heat- the hydrogen fusion fire expanding like a small white star; the visible component of the roaring typhoon of neutron and gamma radiation.

His last thought conscious thought was that of the optimist that he had always been: at least I'll miss out on the anthrax.

For the romantic in us:

It was at that moment that he realised he was entitled to more than his thoughts, alone. He needed love; to be loved and to love, and the look in his lover's eyes told him he had found both.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in, here's the first suggestion I came up with.

With one foot through the doorway he turned back for the briefest of moments. The look in his eyes said it all. He wouldn't be coming back, and that was that. The next moment he was gone, and with him went the dream that life would ever be simple again.

She watched him stumble to the edge of the platform and fall into the path of the subway train. She heard the screams and watched people’s shocked reactions. But she didn’t scream and she wasn't shocked. She realized that she didn’t give a shit about him any longer.

Colin :icon_geek:

She watched him stumble to the edge of the platform and fall into the path of the subway train. She heard the screams and watched people’s shocked reactions. But she didn’t scream and she wasn't shocked. She realized that she didn’t give a shit about him any longer.

Colin :icon_geek:

I'm trying to determine if this is a tragedy or not... I think I might enjoy it.