Alec's Best Friend by Dabeagle - A Sanitaria Springs Story

Lugnutz

I love it when a character grows and surprises everybody.

It's been fun reading these two stories.

Is there any guide to Sanitria Springs universe for potential intruders to this realm?

Guest Dabeagle

The 'rules' are pretty simple and mostly of a type of gentleman's code. What you have with the existing stories is a framework. Please do not change the existing characters in radical ways (breaking up relationships 'cause you like one) or that sort of thing. I encourage anyone who wants to participate to read all the existing work to see if one of them provides a springboard for yourself or simply so that you don't contradict what is already there. Although I don't remember everything - which Ryan takes glee in pointing out (honest, he does) I'm also available as a resource for anyone that would like me to look first. But to be clear, that isn't a requirement. These stories are all hosted here at AD and I don't have any say in their development and where they go, so fear not in terms of that.

So that's the way I see it.

Also, I know squat about making a Wiki - but perhaps I can look into it. I'd say Camy is probably better suited, once Algy arrives in Sanitaria Springs. Or Martin, that would be most acceptable as well.

Guest RBartlett

The 'rules' are pretty simple and mostly of a type of gentleman's code. What you have with the existing stories is a framework. Please do not change the existing characters in radical ways (breaking up relationships 'cause you like one) or that sort of thing. I encourage anyone who wants to participate to read all the existing work to see if one of them provides a springboard for yourself or simply so that you don't contradict what is already there. Although I don't remember everything - which Ryan takes glee in pointing out (honest, he does) I'm also available as a resource for anyone that would like me to look first. But to be clear, that isn't a requirement. These stories are all hosted here at AD and I don't have any say in their development and where they go, so fear not in terms of that.

So that's the way I see it.

Also, I know squat about making a Wiki - but perhaps I can look into it. I'd say Camy is probably better suited, once Algy arrives in Sanitaria Springs. Or Martin, that would be most acceptable as well.

I do not!

What a lovely story, and how nice to tie together so many character threads.

I'm not sure all the previous SS stories are still on working links. There is an old master list page and several of those links are broken. The stories are not accessible through the individual author pages.

R

Also, I'm sure that the authors who have participated will be more than happy to give you some insight into their own stories/characters if you find a "springboard" that you want to use. Ryan and I have been conversing at length about his characters as I intend to use some of them in two other SS stories I have planned, and I think that the stories are going to turn out much better because of that collaboration. Dabeagle consulted with me a lot on Strays, and I know that it turned out better because of his input.

What a lovely story, and how nice to tie together so many character threads.

I'm not sure all the previous SS stories are still on working links. There is an old master list page and several of those links are broken. The stories are not accessible through the individual author pages.

R

The links to the stories on the list under Collections - Sanitaria Springs Stories all work. What haven't been added to the list yet are the four newest stories, but as soon as Mike or John have time I assume they'll be there as well.

Colin :icon_geek:

The links to the stories on the list under Collections - Sanitaria Springs Stories all work. What haven't been added to the list yet are the four newest stories, but as soon as Mike or John have time I assume they'll be there as well.

Colin :icon_geek:

I probably found an outdated page -- it was linked from within one of the stories. I'll try to find it again.

EDIT: The page I'm referring to is linked in a footnote at the bottom of "Don't Ask Alec." Several of the links load blank pages. I suspect this page is a remnant of past times.

R

Yes, just give us a short break. It is a holiday weekend here and John has been laboring down-under continuously for the longest time and needs to take a couple of personal days this coming week. I'll be working on the Sanitaria Springs Collection Page in the meantime, but I think with the resurgence of interest in Sanitaria Springs stories with readers and authors.. it might be a good time to redesign the entire page. All the recent stories are on the AD Homepage and all the older ones are on the SS Collections Page. Thanks for your patience.

Mike

Guest RBartlett

Thank you to both Mike and John! We've put out a lot of content in a short amount of time and they've done an excellent job getting it up on the site so the timing all fits together. I'm sure it's been a huge pain in the butt.

Guest RBartlett

Thank you to both Mike and John! We've put out a lot of content in a short amount of time and they've done an excellent job getting it up on the site so the timing all fits together. I'm sure it's been a huge pain in the butt.

Guest Dabeagle

Ditto. Oh, wait, Ryan did that already. :laugh:

"Alec's Best Friend" is just wonderful, and is a lovely celebration of what human beings who work together can accomplish.

The various major characters introduced so far mesh together and interact so well I can't wait to see what will happen next. I think Lucien may be my new favorite character.

A detail I like in this story is that the school administrators don't gossip to Alec about the boy they are trying to help. It's an example of something NOT happening, instead of something happening, but to me it was perhaps the most moving aspect.

This also illustrates the value of a single POV.

R

Guest Dabeagle

It never occurred to me that they would due to privacy laws. Even as a foster parent you don't identify your foster child to others because it violates their privacy and the ideas some people have that the child is bad because they are in care. Recently, in Ryan Bartlett's 'The Preacher's Kid' I counseled him the same way, and when the minister introduces Charlie for the first time he tells Robin that 'Charlie is staying with us for a while' which is an easy phrase to use. Of course, people that know you are foster parents will understand - and the tactless ones will still ask in front of the child.