Not Yet Released...

I thought hiking the Appalachian Trail was what Republican governors said they were doing when they had affairs with Argentine bombshells.I didn't think anyone actually did it, although I have had nasty and lascivious thoughts about Robert Redford since I went through puberty, so I guess I can say, quite honestly, that I want to hike the Appalachian Trail with Robert Redford-- and he's still hot.(I think that sentence could have used an editor).

I love Bill Bryson's writings, and I have a lot of respect for his attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail since the one-mile portion of it I occasionally walk my dog on is notable for its ankle-turning terrain and its lack of amenities. I met Bill both before and after this endeavor and did not detect any alteration to his self-admitted gumdrop shape. Although his personal fitness goal may not have been achieved he got a good book out of it, some nice speaking engagements, and of course royalties which promise to swell now that we have this buddy movie to increase his draw.

That's why I always liked backpacking in the Sierras -- much less rain (although sometimes snow).

R

Me too. Nevertheless we did get caught by rainstorms once in a while. The only time I'd put up with snow is when I'm crosscountry skiing.

Colin :icon_geek:

I once went backpacking in the Smoky Mountains with a group in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlenburg TN area. Part of the hike was on the Appalachian Trail. This was back in the 70's.

When I first read that, my mind changed Pigeon Forge to Pigeon Force, and that really made me think! What in the world would a Pigeon Force look like?

C

A 'Pigeon Force' is a well-known device you use as an insert in your shoes to correct a condition known as pigeon toes. It used to be available only by prescription but nowadays you can find them easily in most high-end bootmakers. Because it applies force to the configuration of the toes it is sometimes used as a fetish object by foot fanciers.

I once went backpacking in the Smoky Mountains with a group in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlenburg TN area. Part of the hike was on the Appalachian Trail. This was back in the 70's.

My granddad lived in New Jersey for a while. I think it was in the 1960's. Anyway, he and a friend walked the entire New Jersey section of the Appalachian Trail. They did it one section at a time, driving two cars to the end of the section they were going to walk that day, then both drove in the other car to the start of the section, they walked the section, then drove back to the start in the first car to pick up the second car. They would then drive back to Parsippany where they lived. Hearing that story always makes me laugh. I would have just taken some vacation time and backpacked that segment of the trail. I Googled it. The segment of the Appalachian trail that's in New Jersey is only 72.2 miles long.

Colin :icon_geek: