nobody loves a fairy when she's forty

I felt like sharing this wonderful 1934 78 recording of Nobody Loves a Fairy When She's Forty, available for a listen on mp3 (skip the 'original', it's hissy): LISTEN TO SONG

:shock: TR

Here are the lyrics - priceless.

NOBODY LOVES A FAIRY WHEN SHE'S FORTY

(written by Arthur Le Clerq - 1934)

For years a fairy queen I've been

For years I foiled the Demon King

But alas I'm getting on the years have flown somehow

And I feel that Fairy Snowdrop isn't wanted now

Chorus

Nobody loves a fairy when she's [forty] fifty

Nobody loves a fairy when she's old

She may still have a magic power but that is not enough

They like their bit of magic from a younger bit of stuff

When once your silver star has lost its glitter

And your tinsel looks like rust instead of gold

Fairy days are ending when your wand has started bending

No-one loves a fairy when shes old

For years I reigned in Fairy Dell

I waved my wand and waved it well

If I can't do all I did Im satisfied because

I'd sooner be a Has-Been that I would a Never Was

Nobody loves....

Nobody loves..

The face of this Immortal One to many has appealed

But gone is the illusion once you've had it soled and heeled

When you've lost your little fairy dimples

And the moth holes in your dress let in the cold

The Goblins and the Pixies turn their backs and say Hi Nixey

No one loves a fairy when she's old.

Nobody loves.....

Nobody loves.....

As far as I can see they try to push you off the map

When once your wand has withered and your wings refuse to flap

When you can't cast a spell without it spilling

And a fairy tale for years you haven't told

You stand there shouting What O.. but they all pass by your Grotto

Nobody loves a fairy when shes old.

Nobody loves.....

Nobody loves.....

They don't give you an earthly chance to make a livelihood

Theyre building council houses now in my enchanted wood

When you are past the age for Television

And the air you use is government controlled

It seems that they would sooner

Listen to a blinkin' crooner

Nobody loves a fairy when shes old.

this is a bit sad song isn't it? :blush:

& this was written in 1934? well back then I guess the still lock gay pepople in mental asylum.

back to the song again, it IS sad & disturbing. :shock:

so, you're saying that fairies better find their love before they turn 40?

rad out

?I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood.? ~Clarence Darrow

When once your wand has withered and your wings refuse to flap

My wand hasn't withered, and my wings are fine, thank you very much ... um ... just saying. :icon_geek:

A most excellent song. :wav:

I felt like sharing this wonderful 1934 78 recording of Nobody Loves a Fairy When She's Forty, available for a listen on mp3 (skip the 'original', it's hissy): LISTEN TO SONG

:bunny: TR

Here are the lyrics - priceless.

NOBODY LOVES A FAIRY WHEN SHE'S FORTY

(written by Arthur Le Clerq - 1934)

They don't give you an earthly chance to make a livelihood

Theyre building council houses now in my enchanted wood

When you are past the age for Television

Did they really hae television in 1934? Hey, I don't know, I'm only 18, and even my grandparents hadn't been born yet in 1934 so I can't ask them.

Colin :hehe:

Did they really hae television in 1934? Hey, I don't know, I'm only 18, and even my grandparents hadn't been born yet in 1934 so I can't ask them.

Colin :hehe:

Yes, they did and people saw such technical wonders at exhibitions and world's fairs (eg an improved telephone wire in 1915 - and a memorable television broadcast demo at the 1939 world's fair, along with robots that did housework, etc).

I believe the first successful televised broadcast was in 1927 but the Great Depression and WWII put a stop to commercial interest and development of television (and a lot of other things). After all, at the time, TV was a poor substitute for Radio and all it offered anyone with access to electricity.

Almost immediately after the war, however, televised shows became more and more common - common types were kiddie shows, talk shows, game shows and panel discussions. Not many people owned televisions in the 1930s, they were an expensive novelty and most people got their news and entertainment from radio or gathered at bars, stores and private homes to watch especially popular broadcasts.

Radio was still the more popular venue for entertainment, sports broadcasts and popular shows, some of which later made the transition to television, even briefly being broadcast on radio and television with the most popular shows.

By the late '40s, however, TV networks (NBC, CBS and ABC) were broadcasting regular schedules in locally served urban areas, and by the fifties, coast-to-coast broadcasting was the hot new thing, closely followed by the introduction of color and satellite bounce-cast which improved reception immensely.

Programming choices changed as TV battled with Hollywood for the American entertainment dollar, and radio had begun to phase out by the late 1950s and early '60s. Cable TV and a multiplicity of soporific programming began to gain hold over America during the 1980s.

"Snatch back your brain, zombie!" ~ Johnny Mnemonic

The song's reference to television is a double-entendre: kiddie shows and adult pasttimes, etc.

:bunny: TR

• 2 weeks later...

1934 Eh? That was a good year. I was both conceived and born - so, far from being imprisoned - I was let out!

And my first car was made in 1934 too! I bought it in 1959 when we were both 24.

And I don't think the song needs to be sad; it all depends on how it's sung and whether the complaints are to be taken seriously or as a tease.

• 6 years later...