Vale Mike Wengert, 1943-2023

Alien Son

My interactions with Mike were few, usually consisting of my minor feedback (e.g., about a broken hyperlink) and his gracious response and prompt fixing of the problem. In a world where sloppiness and unresponsiveness abound, Mike curated Awesome Dude as a work of love.

Although it is perhaps too early to discuss the future of Awesome Dude, I wonder what to do about the tiny monthly donation that I have been making through PayPal to Michael Wengert. I am sure others have made similar and less modest arrangements. How should we redirect our support?

Zichrono livracha: May Michael's memory be for a blessing.

I was deeply saddened by the news of Miles passing. He was a kind,responsive soul and will be fondly remembered and sorely missed. Though I have not posted for some time, I have continued to follow my dear author friends with continued interest. My own health issues make consistency difficult,  and I if there is one quality I appreciate most about the members of this community, it is certainly that! My condolences to all, and affectionate greetings to all.

Tracy

I have held off in replying to this news as I was deeply affected by the sudden passing of our Awesome Dude. Mike meant more to me than any of you might know as he was directly responsible for helping me through a very troubled time in my life some years ago. Behind the scenes, he encouraged other members to check up on me when I was going through some deep addiction issues and barely holding on to a life that at that time I wasn't sure I deserved. And I can confidently share that if it wasn't for his indirect intervention, I might have had a complete different outcome to the life I enjoy today.

While I am thankful for the job that Alien Son has done while he stepped into very big shoes over the last year of Mike's illness, I am a bit curious about the new Sub Forum I see in regards to the future of Awesome Dude. I would never assume that I should have a say as I'm been as silent and non productive as anyone could be over the last ten years, but I am curious on how it was curated to those members who might have a say. Maybe I'm just feeling the loss, and is deeply saddened. Maybe a bit more communication, and I understand that everyone is feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and let those better suited discuss adult matters. 

I just really miss Mike  and have cried whenever I think about my/our loss. What a great Awesome Dude in every respect. 

Jason (Josh) 

It’s so very good to hear from you again, Jason/Josh.  It really is.  It’s been awhile.

And thank you so very much, for sharing the outlines of your personal experiences with Mike.  I am not at all surprised by them.  I am grateful to hear it.  And most importantly, I hope you keep on doing extremely well.

I’ll remember this very moving post, and I hope you can make it part of a tribute to Mike, on whatever becomes of AD:  with whatever else you would like to add?  I was very touched, reading this.  R.I.P. Mike.

As to the future of the site?  John reached out for help.  Some of us volunteered, for what it is worth.  It shouldn’t be all on him.  I expect we all hope and aim to do more to help, if we can.  I know I do.  That’s about it.

I’m very glad to hear from you; and to offer you my deepest sympathies?  And, virtual but heartfelt hugs?

Thank you for sharing this.  Again.

Hi, Jason

Thank you for sharing your very personal story. Mike cared deeply about his authors.

I'm sorry about the lack of communication. There isn't much to report at the moment, but I've now made an announcement here.

~ John

I'm devastated to hear of the demise of Mike, the father of the family that is Awesomedude. He was a wonderful man, I thought I knew him well, but amongst the outpouring of grief in the comments in this thread I learn for the first time that he was a Radio Ham while he was in Korea. I never knew that. I too was a radio ham, but as far as I know our paths (radio waves?) never crossed.

Let us never forget Mike Wengert.