Vale Mike Wengert, 1943-2023

Alien Son

Mike never really recovered from the fall he had about a year ago, and was also contending with several health problems.

Sadly, he suffered a massive heart attack on Saturday September 9, and was not able to be revived. Mike would have turned 80 on October 25, 2023.

AwesomeDude will continue for the time being, and I will continue posting current serial stories until they are complete. At this stage I'm not sure what to do about stories that have been submitted but not yet posted, or about accepting new stories. I'll make a further announcement when the future is clearer.

~ John

Mike had been in poor health for a number of years and in spite of failing vision, he managed to maintain the site, to vet our stories and to make AD a beacon of hope on the internet. There are a number of gay-themed story sites that began around the turn of the current century, but none could match the quality nor the sense of community that Mike nurtured here. For that I will always be grateful.

We should probably wait a few days before beginning a frank discussion of the future of the site, and under a different thread. I would like to see the site continue, but there is much to consider before that could happen. At the least, the stories must be preserved for all to enjoy.

Rest in peace Mike 😥

I don’t believe we ever talked but I do know some of your friends. Your site has brought me hours, if not days, weeks and beyond of enjoyment. You have promoted authors that are not elsewhere on the net. Your contributions to the internet gay reading community was and will always be invaluable.  I still check in regularly to see what is new here.

You will be missed. 

Mike, what a way to go. Here am I having known you since 1982 when you were a Radio Amateur in Seoul, as I was in Hong Kong.

At 88years of age now I should have been here waiting for you. I know that all our readers will miss you terribly, as shall I.

What of the future. I sincerely hope that AD will continue and hope that we will hear more in due course.
Rest in peace Michael.
Captain Phil

Sir.  You will be missed; you will be remembered fondly!

Love,

Joe

Sad news. May he rest in peace.

With this site and his selective moderation of it, Mike not only encouraged authors to develop their craft.  Through their stories he would not just entertain readers  but help those struggling alone find a measure of self-validation.

May this site survive to be his memorial.