Protest Against "Ender's Game"

And now things are appearing to get a little worse for Orson Scott Card, the author of the book that has been made into a big-budget Disney Lionsgate sci-fi film due out in November 2013:

Orson Scott Card's Anti-Gay Views Prompt 'Ender's Game' Movie Protest

Posted: 07/07/2013 2:04 pm EDT

Author Orson Scott Card's controversial stance on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights has prompted an online protest ahead of the November release of "Ender's Game," the big-budget Hollywood movie based on his famed 1985 novel.

Launched by Geeks OUT, "Skip Ender's Game" asks LGBT rights supports to "keep your money out of Orson Scott Card’s pockets" by opting out of seeing "Ender's Game" in theaters when the film is released in cinemas on Nov. 1. The group is organizing a series of "Skip Ender's Game" events in New York, Orlando, Seattle and other major U.S. cities to coincide with the movie's debut.

"By pledging to Skip Ender’s Game, we can send a clear and serious message to Card and those that do business with his brand of anti-gay activism -- whatever he’s selling, we’re not buying," Geeks OUT officials write. "The queer geek community will not subsidize his fear-mongering and religious bullying. We will not pay him to demean, insult, and oppress us."

They also note, "Do not buy a ticket at the theater, do not purchase the DVD, do not watch it on-demand. Ignore all merchandise and toys."

It isn't the first the author's conservative stance on the LGBT community has sparked controversy. In March , illustrator Chris Sprouse reportedly dropped out of an upcoming "Adventures of Superman" issue written by Card and Aaron Johnston amid media criticism of Card's anti-gay views.

"The media surrounding this story reached the point where it took away from the actual work, and that's something I wasn't comfortable with," he explained in a statement cited by USA Today.

In 2009, Card joined the board of directors at the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), a group which has actively opposed same-sex marriage. The Hollywood Reporter also cites a 2009 Mormon Times opinion piece penned by Card, in which he argued, “Marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down."

In 2012, he referred to same-sex attraction as a “reproductive dysfunction” in a Rhinoceros Times opinion piece supporting North Carolina's Amendment One.

"Normalizing a dysfunction will only make ours into a society that corrodes any loyalty to it, as parents see that our laws and institutions now work against the reproductive success (not to mention happiness) of the next generation," he wrote.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=gay-voices

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that Card is not only the author of the original book(s) on which the film was based, but also wrote at least one of the scripts for the film and is credited as a producer on the new film.

Me, I'm torn on the issue because I detest the man himself, but I enjoyed the book. I concede that his anti-gay opinions are detestable, and I also can see that people have the freedom to avoid giving their money to corporations that promote anti-gay causes.

Latest trailer is here:

Note that Disney is pulling out all the stops to promote this big-budget film, but while they're having a big presentation at the San Diego ComicCon in two weeks, Orson Scott Card won't be part of it. I would not be surprised if there are protests there against the film.

I'm kinda torn. I love the book (and the first two sequels, the rest are total crap IMO) but "reproductive dysfunction" is one of the few anti-gay slurs that really pisses me off and I really don't wanna support anyone who's stupid enough to think that way in anything they do. >_> I don't usually support piracy, but... :whistle:

I can see both sides. There are many people with whom I profoundly disagree to whom I would hate to give my hard-earned money. But, despite his despicable views and his work against the interests of GLBT people, I will see the movie. I am certain there are many more people involved in the project who would suffer from a boycott and I can recognize the talent, even genius, of people whose opinions I despise. If it were only Card who would suffer, I would say "Gay Geeks of the World, Unite!" There may be other ways for us to express our contempt for his opinions and actions without harming the many who participated in the project.

I say treat it like chick-fillet: pick it up at the drive-through so nobody sees you.

I used to say that, but after Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy sent out a tweet condemning the Supreme Court overturning DOMA, that ended any chance of me ever going to that restaurant again. Now, I'll only go to Wendy's to get the Ultimate Grilled Chicken (plain). My new, non-homophobic favorite.

o-DAN-CATHY-DOMA-570.jpg?2

As to Ender's Game: my joke is, I'll pay to see another movie coming out at the same time, and will sneak in to see Ender's Game. That way, I haven't paid for it. :lol:

After the disaster of Lone Ranger last week, I think Disney is terrified that they may have a new $180M blockbuster flop on their hands...

Guest Dabeagle

I can see both sides. There are many people with whom I profoundly disagree to whom I would hate to give my hard-earned money. But, despite his despicable views and his work against the interests of GLBT people, I will see the movie. I am certain there are many more people involved in the project who would suffer from a boycott and I can recognize the talent, even genius, of people whose opinions I despise. If it were only Card who would suffer, I would say "Gay Geeks of the World, Unite!" There may be other ways for us to express our contempt for his opinions and actions without harming the many who participated in the project.

I have to say I disagree with this rational. The people that worked on the film have been paid as part of making the movie, I believe (someone with more movie industry knowledge feel free to correct me) therefore by not supporting this movie you aren't hurting those folks. Card, on the other hand, stands to make a considerable amount - and then some as it seems the way Hollywood is designed these days is to create a franchise. Should this movie do well, of which every theatergoer that sees it will be a part, they will make a sequel - putting evermore money into that hateful asshat's pockets.

I do think that if folks knowingly support companies and people that work against them, then you deserve what you get.

"No raindrop ever considers itself responsible for the flood." - unknown

Guest Dabeagle

I should add this news clip about this fellow:

Except Card seems to be trying to wave the white flag according to Entertainment Weekly. “Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984.With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.” So just remember, Card is the victim here.

Card's statement, and Cathy's, support the notion that somehow allowing gay men to marry will be devastating to the concept of marriage. I've yet to see a rational explanation of how that's supposed to happen or why that is. Perhaps these people who suggest the world as we know it will suddenly disappear, that gay men who've married will suddenly have great powers they didn't have before and will act with violent vengeance against straight people, perhaps they'll come to see just how shithouse-rat crazy they've been with their views. But I don't count on it.

Shadchan? Is that something like a shaman?

C

The word Shadchan often refers to Shadchanim or people who carry out Shidduchim as a profession within the religious Jewish community. However, Shadchan can also be used to refer to anyone who introduces two single Jews to one another with the hope that they will form a couple. Centuries of experience and tradition have shown that a good match is most likely to be formed between people with similar outlooks, attitudes, beliefs and backgrounds. Therefore, a matchmaker is most likely to be someone who is familiar with both sides and is in a position to introduce the interested parties to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadchan

And Orson Scott Card has responded to the protesters in the current issue of Entertainment Weekly:

Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.

My response to that is: should we have shown tolerance to people who wanted to keep slavery going in the South in the 1800s? Should we have shown tolerance to Nazi Germany for throwing Jews into ovens in the 1940s? At what point does tolerance end in the face of bigoted views?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/scott-orson-card-gay-marriage_n_3566122.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Geeks Out has responded to Card's plea:

http://geeksout.org/...kip-enders-game

One highlight

Orson Scott Card, we can tolerate your anti-gay activism, your right-wing extremism, your campaign of fear-mongering and insults, but we’re not going to pay you for it. You’ve got the right to express your opinions and beliefs any way you choose—but you don’t have a right to our money.

How many homophobic billboards and absurd “Gathering Storm” ads would a new fortune built off of Ender’s Game lunchboxes buy for NOM?

Yeah. I have to admit that you've convinced me. I've changed my mind. I can't contribute money to a man who promotes such views. This is a good point.

How many homophobic billboards and absurd “Gathering Storm” ads would a new fortune built off of Ender’s Game lunchboxes buy for NOM?

I wonder if Mr. Card would've been smarter just to dig a hole and have somebody fill in the dirt behind him and hide for the next six months. I believe it was very unwise for him to say anything except, "I have the greatest compassion for all people, and despite my own religious beliefs, I respect the Supreme Court's opinion and it's clear that most Americans are for gay marriage." Something vague and non-threatening like that.

Hollywood has already had five $100 million+ bombs this year (White House Down, Lone Ranger, plus the upcoming Turbo, R.I.P.D., and Pacific Rim). I think Ender's Game was gonna be a tough sell even without a homophobic jerk as writer/co-producer: "12-year-old boy with exceptional mental skills trains to be an incredible outer space soldier in a long war by humans against extremely hostile space aliens." I think I saw this basic idea back in 1984 with The Last Starfighter (though with a teenage boy instead of a younger kid), and that one bombed. My bet is that Disney Lionsgate is extremely nervous about this, because 1) the studio is very sensitive to gay rights, and 2) there's already been one major $250M bomb this year so far.

The Last Starfighter was fun :icon_thumleft:

Yep! :smile:

I still really, really want to see Ender's Game ... so what to do?

MY ENDER'S GAMEPLAN: Go to a multiplex. Pick a showtime of ENDER'S GAME that's unlikely to be crowded. Buy a ticket to GRAVITY with roughly the same showtime. Once in the multiplex, walk into ENDER'S GAME instead; if challenged, tell manager the box office accidentally sold me a ticket to the wrong movie, and watch them wave me into the ENDER'S GAME theater anyway. (They don't give a sh*t, as long as they've gotten their money.) I get to see ENDER'S GAME while enriching LGBT allies Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and homophobe Orson Scott Card doesn't get a dime. Poor Orson! (Feel free to forward this suggestion far and wide.)

Yep! :smile:

I still really, really want to see Ender's Game ... so what to do?

The only problem with the theater-hopping plan is that if Ender's Game bombs, there's no chance of ever getting a Speaker for the Dead movie. Granted, that's not very likely anyway, given the nature of that book, but still.

OSC: The man wrote an entire series about empathy and striving to understand and love those whose behavior and thought patterns are different from one's own, and completely missed his own damn point on a spectacular level. Dude's a walking tragedy.

The studio should have thought of all this before spending the money! Perhaps they though having Harrison Ford would guarantee a hit, but he's not the actor he was ten years ago, doesn't seem to have the same charisma. Perhaps they didn't realize the groundswell for gay rights would keep growing as it has since production began. Perhaps they didn't realize what an egotistical asshole Card was, or that he'd say things that would help sabotage the film.

I think I'm the only one here who didn't think much of the book. It seemed ridiculous to me, and having a kid as young as Ender was doing the things he did was part of that. I could also sense Card's homoerotic thoughts in the writing, and in my mind, part of his antagonism toward gay causes is that he's personally had some demons to slay in that area. Just my view, of course.

But I didn't see how that book would make a good movie. Still don't.

C

I could also sense Card's homoerotic thoughts in the writing, and in my mind, part of his antagonism toward gay causes is that he's personally had some demons to slay in that area. Just my view, of course.

I agree, though I thought both Ender's Game and its sequel, Speaker for the Dead, were good reading.

I think I'm the only one here who didn't think much of the book. It seemed ridiculous to me, and having a kid as young as Ender was doing the things he did was part of that. I could also sense Card's homoerotic thoughts in the writing, and in my mind, part of his antagonism toward gay causes is that he's personally had some demons to slay in that area. Just my view, of course.

Very possible. A later book, Ender's Shadow, tells almost the exact same story as Ender's Game, only from the viewpoint of Bean (one of the members of Ender's "jeesh," his battle squad). That book is actually written much better, and it filled in many of the holes in the original novel.

Given the amount of nudity, mostly-male adolescents crowded together in an outer-space school for years on end, and even a murder scene that takes place in a fully-packed communal shower... you do wonder about the gay overtones in the story. I don't necessarily think Card is gay, but I think he clearly has some "issues." I'll say this for the trailers: they've depicted the major set pieces from the book very closely, and the set decorating and effects look spectacular. And they did as I predicted a couple of years ago: they had to up all the characters' ages by quite a bit. In the original book, I seem to recall Ender was only six years old when the story started.

This is not unlike the problem they had years ago with Interview with a Vampire, where they had a child vampire who was only 6 or 7 years old; in the movie, they made her about 12 years old, but even then, it was very creepy.